Shaun White!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
He had a great run. CONGRATS on the gold! Is this his fourth Olympics?
. Yes, and 3rd Gold. He crashed and burned at Sochi. Great comeback for the GOAT!

It isnt that hes overrated exactly, its more that he doesnt participate in the snowboard community (aka sellout) and so he basically has no snowboard friends. And snowboarding in particular is more social.
Notice after his run he didn't go to the judging area or even give a other competitors any acknowledgement, but just stayed in the spotlight. Just about everyone else would give the other guys a fist bump and good luck, before the score comes out. For women, its pretty much etiquette to give a hug.

Despite that he might not be liked,everybody recognizes he does have the runs even though they don't root for him to win. So perhaps that is slightly not the same as calling him overrated at least in tetms of skills.
Overrated in terms of personality and how you treat others and whether he should be "rated" as a role model or hero is appropriately overrated though

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Is that a sport where scoring is done by judges, like figure skating, boxing, etc.?

Yes it is. That is why I like sports that are timed or have distance targets. Judges only need to be present in case a competitor commits a rules violation.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
It isnt that hes overrated exactly, its more that he doesnt participate in the snowboard community (aka sellout) and so he basically has no snowboard friends. And snowboarding in particular is more social.
Notice after his run he didn't go to the judging area or even give a other competitors any acknowledgement, but just stayed in the spotlight. Just about everyone else would give the other guys a fist bump and good luck, before the score comes out. For women, its pretty much etiquette to give a hug.

Despite that he might not be liked,everybody recognizes he does have the runs even though they don't root for him to win. So perhaps that is slightly not the same as calling him overrated at least in tetms of skills.
Overrated in terms of personality and how you treat others and whether he should be "rated" as a role model or hero is appropriately overrated though

I don't know Shaun White, so I can't say definitively. But one thing I've noticed is that most of the Snowboarders out there competing at the Olympics are kids. They are in fact still in Highschool. I didn't hang around with any Highschoolers when I was in my 30's.

I saw him being friendly with his USA teammates and vice-versa, and displaying sportsmanlike conduct to his competitors from other countries. Other than the flag oversight (since explained) I guess I didn't notice an issue.

evwryone can be cordial for the few seconds you are on tv.
But thus the presentation of him on nbc and the perfect storylines as a hero and role model may grates even more against reality as it's more entertaining TV to not talk about any dirty laundry.

This isnt just this year it goes way back so you can't say it's a generation thing.
Many articles written in 2014, take a read if you want a more nuanced view.

2018 update feom slate
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slate.com...s-snow-god.html

2014 articles
https://snowbrains.com/snowboarders-hate-shaun-white/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_cir...haun_white.html

Last edited:
So I read the articles. The writers of two of the articles are the same people, and they sound jealous and petty to me. I'm guessing they were brought up with the 'Everyone is a precious little snowflake, and gets a participation trophy' ideaology. Those that espouse that ethos, often have a rude awakening in real life when things don't just consistently fall into place with minimal effort, year after year.

To consistently be the best at anything, you have to be very driven. I've worked in a professional sport for awhile now. Anyone that is consistently the best or close to it year after year in their vocation, is very driven.

Again, I don't know Shaun White. But I recognize his disciplined approach to trying to be the best year after year. In his sport, age will eventually catch up with him. But currently, he's clearly the best at what he does.

Last edited:
Its kinda dismissive to just cry fake news just cause you don't agree when the articles. If thr article is saying other snowboarders hate shaun white and are quoting the actual athletes including Tony Hawk, I dont think you can call that jealousy of the articles. The snowbrains article ref. 2 other articles so its not just an author with an agenda. They're quoting the athletes. If you are saying the athletes are jealous that still proves the same point that they dont like Shaun.

If you just like the hollywood nbc storyline thats fine. But I think reality is better even with its warts and imperfections.

No one is saying hes not the best. Thats not what the articles are saying. They are saying hes a bit of a jerk. Also nobody is saying the Goat is never a jerk. They're agreeing with you that its common that the goat is often a jerk, and sometimes it takes being a jerk to be the GOAT. That's not the point either.

Michael Jordan is well known to be a jerk even though hes the original GOAT. Sure hes perfectly fine and not a sociopath or anything, but you won't see him on NBA on TNT hanging out with Chuck and Shaq and having fun. Same with Tiger and Lance and Barry Bonds. That being said, there are plenty of greats who arent jerks.

The point is to see the whole picture, warts and all, and not just have to add on niceness to the hero worship just because nbc finds that to be a better story.
Given where they are now, day to day, would you rather be michel jordan or Chuck?

Last edited:
I wasn't crying, and I didn't say it was fake news.

I simply stated my opinion that the writers of those articles sound jealous and petty. That goes for some of the Snowboarders they quoted too. Neither will ever aspire to being the best at anything, or understand what it takes to become the best, and stay there for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back