Richard Butkus RIP

Just saw this on my news feed. Very sad, I saw highlights of his playing days. May he rest in Pearce. 80years old

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/****-butkus-chicago-bears-icon-obit/

"I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something."
-**** Butkus

Regards,
John
or growing up in Detroit and watching **** Butkus chase Altie Taylor of the Lions out of bounds and darn near to the stadium wall in order to hit Taylor. Those were the days.

RIP **** Butkus
he may no longer be with us but at least we still can watch the butt fumble.

As a Bears fan I'm sad. He was an anathema to the hated Vikings.

1696550588677.png

Bleacher Report

I got married in grad school at the university of Illinois in 1971. My new wife and I were both taking classes, me in chem and her in English. She came home one day and said that as she was going down the stairs in the English building, a large contingent of press people were following this guy up the stairs, shouting questions. The guy bumped into my wife, causing her to drop her books and to fall back against the stairs into a sitting position. The guy helped her up and apologized profusely.

She told me this that night and I asked if she knew who the guy was. She said she was told it was a famous Illini sports figure but as she never followed sports, she had no idea who it was. When we turned on the local news that evening, big story was that **** Butkus was on campus. She saw his picture and said, "Yeah, that's the guy!" I told her that she was maybe the only person that Butkus had ever knocked down and helped back up!

Back