Second change on rebuilt LS

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Towing with a supercharged gasoline engine in Arizona heat is about the last thing I would attempt.

What I was thinking. Adding complexity while reducing reliability.

Originally Posted by KirklanC
These questions remain to be answered.
This was to be my 1st trip but work has me on OT

Before the 5.3 began guzzling oil all was fine. I don't recall the numbers but the tunner really like the meth.

What is too hot for oil?
The tranny got up to 219.

Above 280F in the pan, start thinking about a better oil cooler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by A_Harman
Towing with a supercharged gasoline engine in Arizona heat is about the last thing I would attempt.

What I was thinking. Adding complexity while reducing reliability.

It worked great for 3 years on the ole 5.3

I am trying to get the old mare to work for me until I get close to retirement.
Then I will get a HDT and put. 40k front drive axle on it and run it till I die.

I went for a test tow from Phoenix to sunset point.
107 degrees out side
Coolant went to 240 degrees
Transmission went to 208 degrees
But
The 10w40.oil went to 278 degrees
Time for a engine oil cooler.
I think I melted the catalytic converters too. The air fuel ratio dipped to the mid and uppper 10s should have stayed upper 11s on E50 fuel.

Any suggestions would be great

I have a Tru-Cool Max Transmission Cooler 40,000 GVW
Going through the all aluminum Misimoto radiator.
And the stock engine oil cooler through the radiator.

Any suggestions?

Take the trans cooler out of the radiator and put a thermostatic controller in line?

Take as much heat load off the radiator as you can. Use separate coolers for the engine oil and transmission fluid.
It will be easier to keep the trans fluid around 180F, and the engine oil at 240F if the cooler is rejecting heat directly to 107F ambient air instead of 240F coolant.
If you've melted the cats, just knock out the bricks. Maybe the lower back pressure will help the engine run cooler.

Last edited:
I remember running cooling tests with a towed dyno on the 8100 gas one ton pickups out in Mesa.
The exhaust would get so hot the carpeting would melt and fuse to the floor pan.
IIRC they were running 4 or 5 mpg steady state.

Is that transmission cooler good enough or should I look for another one.
I'll take your advice move both coolers out of the radiator.
Yeah my floorboard was getting super hot no melted carpet. I did maintain 10 and 1/2 mi to the gallon during this trip used one tank of e50 gas.

Back