School me on a Jeep Grand Cherokee!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
And....like I suspected. No data, just more bluster and bloviating. I should've figured as much with your 4X,XXX post count. That was my mistake.

On the ignore list you go.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
And....like I suspected. No data, just more bluster and bloviating. I should've figured as much with your 4X,XXX post count. That was my mistake.

smile.gif

After reading your very first post in this thread I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this matter. Probably dedicated countless hours in reaserch, data comparison, statistical analysis.
Anything less than a standing ovation would be a disservice to your dedication. Not sure what you're doing here in BITOG. Such talents are needed in the industry trenches. You should be consulting, doing magazine articles, tv programs. Don't waste such an opportunity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ

smile.gif

After reading your very first post in this thread I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this matter. Probably dedicated countless hours in reaserch, data comparison, statistical analysis.
Anything less than a standing ovation would be a disservice to your dedication. Not sure what you're doing here in BITOG. Such talents are needed in the industry trenches. You should be consulting, doing magazine articles, tv programs. Don't waste such an opportunity.

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ

smile.gif

lol.gif
It's amusing that he's yet to reply to anybody else calling him out on his rhetoric, accuses me of bloviation, despite providing absolutely nothing of value; completely derailing the thread with his obvious lack of self control with respect to any topic discussing FCA products. Therapy is probably a pretty appropriate suggestion at this point, as there are obviously serious psychological issues at play when one seeks to incite conflict then feign victimhood and moral high ground while stomping on the ashes of civil discourse.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by miden851
…On the latest model, specifically 2017-18 with V6; I barely know anything about it; so how good is it and what's the good and what's not so good about it
I really like the model but how likely it will run over 200k miles mark without major $$$ please

I thank y'all for the constructive replies, suggestions and information!

I've owned 2x GC's in roughly the vintage you are considering here. As already noted by Nick1994, they are platform mates with the Durango but have a slightly shorter wheelbase and no option for the 3rd row seating.

My 2016 was not entirely problem-free, but I had no major issues with it that didn't stem from a very expensive ($12K) accident that it experienced where some work was performed less than ideally and well concealed. We also owned a 2016 Durango Limited with the powertrain you are interested in, with which our experience was also positive.

Pros:
- The platform is very mature at this juncture, having been in production for quite some time. It's very well sorted.
- Materials selection is excellent, fit-and-finish is typically good (at least in my 3x examples)
- UConnect is a nice interface, you are looking at ones new enough that they may have the updated Panasonic screens like my 2020, as I believe that happened for the 2018 MY. The UI is a bit faster on these
- The powertrain, like the platform, is quite mature at this point, and the AWD system is quite robust and shouldn't be a point of concern. The Pentastar is an excellent engine and The ZF 8spd is a fantastic gearbox; highly regarded.

Cons:
- On the 8spd, Chrysler's programming in earlier years wasn't as good as it could be. My 2020 has better shift programming than my 2016 did, and my 2016 SRT had better programming than our 2016 Durango. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2016 SRT programming, I thought it well-sorted, but the 2020 has shown me there was a bit of room for improvement.
- The only issue you may experience with the Pentastar is the oil filter housing cracking as mentioned by Skippy. This isn't a problem with the 5.7L that takes a traditional spin-on filter.
- The 5.7L doesn't get stellar gas mileage and even the Pentastar isn't class-leading.
- The headlights, if you don't get the HID's, aren't amazing. We had the halogen projectors in the Durango and while they were OK, the HID's in the Jeep blew them out of the water
- The back-up camera will get covered in road grime and be unusable. I have to clean it off very frequently during the winter
- No physical buttons for seat heat/cooling and wheel heat (which our truck has) means you are using the touch screen for those functions when required
- If the example you are looking at has the console mounted CD player, it takes up most of the usable space in the console (I specifically omitted it when I built my 2020)
- Cup holder placement relative to the shifter means if you've got a spilly drink, it ends up on the shifter boot.
- Earlier years had a single USB port in the dash and an SD card, not sure when they eliminated the SD Card slot, but my 2020 has dual USB's there now, which was a welcome change
- Glove box isn't huge, so don't expect to be able to keep much in there. I have a tire pressure gauge and a screwdriver.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any specific questions, please ask away!

Wow! I truly thank you for your time and so detailed answer to my topic sir!

I know FCA gets that fuss reputation of an unreliable car maker but these Jeeps are sold in large numbers; I really like its size. looks and options they come with; I think with the proper maintenance they should take you over that 200K mark at least that V6; That's just my opinion not based on facts of course; My friend used to have one 'a 2001 model and I know he had problem with a radiator twice, but availability of the parts and simplicity made him easy to replace it, at the same I do not mind to have my hands dirty as a long as it is not something a sky-high $$$ in repairs

I remember back in the day, when I got my Mazda not many people would give something nice of it and the truth to be told now it is well over 200K mark with the proper maintenance; and yes my Mazda have that cartridge filter with an encase so I am well aware it can leak if not handled appropriately

Once again, I thank to 'yall for your constructive comments and suggestions!

One more question, regarding its headlights, how they are at night time at those low end models, if anyone would chime in please; My Mazda head lights have never been up to task

Wow! I truly thank you for your time and so detailed answer to my topic sir!

You are very welcome! Now, I did have some serious seat time with a 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited for the end of November, entire month of December. My dealer loaned it to me after I traded my 2016 in and ordered the 2020, which I had to wait on being built. I didn't include that in my original reply to you, as I think the 3x years I spent with the 2016 and the 2x years we had the Durango for were of greater value.

Thread on my 2020 here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...86461/srt-part-3-2020-grand-cherokee-srt

If you'd like links to threads where I've provided more extensive feedback during the ownership experience, I can provide those as well.

I know FCA gets that fuss reputation of an unreliable car maker but these Jeeps are sold in large numbers; I really like its size. looks and options they come with; I think with the proper maintenance they should take you over that 200K mark at least that V6; That's just my opinion not based on facts of course; My friend used to have one 'a 2001 model and I know he had problem with a radiator twice, but availability of the parts and simplicity made him easy to replace it, at the same I do not mind to have my hands dirty as a long as it is not something a sky-high $$$ in repairs

Yes, they are relatively easy to work on and there are I'm sure quite a few guys with higher mileage on the Pentastar, at least one guy in this thread indicated he had some pretty good mileage on his with few issues.

I remember back in the day, when I got my Mazda not many people would give something nice of it and the truth to be told now it is well over 200K mark with the proper maintenance; and yes my Mazda have that cartridge filter with an encase so I am well aware it can leak if not handled appropriately

Once again, I thank to 'yall for your constructive comments and suggestions!

thumbsup2.gif
Not everybody's experience is going to be positive, but there are lots of Durangos and JGC's on the road, many of them with serious mileage on them at this point. They continue to sell because they are as presented: A pretty decent vehicle that can be procured at reasonable price that will provide a good ownership experience.

One more question, regarding its headlights, how they are at night time at those low end models, if anyone would chime in please; My Mazda head lights have never been up to task

So, both the loaner I had when my 2016 was traded and our Durango had the halogen projectors. They are decent; it's not like you can't see, but if presented the option, I'd highly recommend getting the HID's, they are MUCH better, which should be expected.

Your SRT looks so great
thumbsup2.gif
I'm not shelling that much of the money for my next ride
grin.gif

one more lingering question; how abut GC transmission fluid change, is it easy to perform a typical drain/refill via the bolt or you still need remove the pan please

Your SRT looks so great
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

one more lingering question; how abut GC transmission fluid change, is it easy to perform a typical drain/refill via the bolt or you still need remove the pan please

There is a process for the ZF 8spd fluid change, I've not performed it myself, but IIRC, you have to buy the pan/filter assembly and then there's a special process to get the level correct. I could be wrong on that however. User clinebarger may have some experience on that front, so perhaps soliciting his input is in order.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
- Earlier years had a single USB port in the dash and an SD card, not sure when they eliminated the SD Card slot, but my 2020 has dual USB's there now, which was a welcome change

On the Charger, the SD card slot was dropped starting with 2017 model year, replaced by a second USB port. Not sure if that change happened at the same time on JGC.

Also, from what I've read, the SD card slot was dropped only from the larger 8.4 uConnect equipped models. The lower end 5.0" screen versions kept the SD card slot.

Your SRT looks so great
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

ZF recommends that the 8HP receive a drain and fill at @60,000 miles. On most all derivatives of that transmission the pan is plastic and the filter is integrated into the pan. Several vendors sell a kit that contains the pan, new bolts, and the correct atf. After the change you start the car and let the atf reach a specified temperature- at that point you remove the fill plug and either add fluid or let the fluid drain until it slows to a trickle. There are several videos on YouTube that detail the procedure.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Your SRT looks so great
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

ZF recommends that the 8HP receive a drain and fill at @60,000 miles. On most all derivatives of that transmission the pan is plastic and the filter is integrated into the pan. Several vendors sell a kit that contains the pan, new bolts, and the correct atf. After the change you start the car and let the atf reach a specified temperature- at that point you remove the fill plug and either add fluid or let the fluid drain until it slows to a trickle. There are several videos on YouTube that detail the procedure.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I believe they take H11 halogens. They're okay, a H9 upgrade will make them brighter. I do recommend getting the HID headlights though.

…On the latest model, specifically 2017-18 with V6; I barely know anything about it; so how good is it and what's the good and what's not so good about it
I really like the model but how likely it will run over 200k miles mark without major $$$ please

Based on Edmunds, you're in for a LOT of repairs. My experience with my 2010 parallel's this.

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2017/cost-to-own/

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Someone mentions anything FCA and here comes the story about the "friend who works for them but drives a Toyota"
21.gif
Got another Mario Andretti quote to share with us?

Still waiting for my out of warranty 300 to immolate itself, since that's what y'all think is what happens to them
crackmeup2.gif

That's because:

1) None of us would own one.
2) When we have data like Edmunds True Cost To Own, TrueDelta, Consumer Reports, we get so many "Well MINE WORKS so all of your empirical data is wrong!" posts.

Since we refuse to own FCA, we are reduced to fighting absurd anecdotal with absurd anecdotal via proxy, lol!

Seriously though, the raw data exists, and FCA makes worse products than most, ESPECIALLY Jeep's division.

You can find Jeep WAYYYY down at the bottom, although thankfully the GC is one of their better models:
http://www.parsintl.com/eprints/79194-3.pdf

OP wants a 2017 though, so:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/f1/0d/13f10da3eb3fb688a1b465abbd1cc661.jpg

Still down at the bottom.

So what about Edmunds True Cost To Own? I had to compare it to a BMW X5 to find something with more expensive repairs...The Tahoe, CX9, etc. all had about $2500 over 5 years, it shot up to $3500. That's a 30% cost increase, and the down-time that comes with it.

There are many other data sources that supersede "But mine..." type datapoints. It's simply t hat when you post these, you end up with a storm of that, because people are emotional about cars more than they are technical about cars.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Based on Edmunds, you're in for a LOT of repairs. My experience with my 2010 parallel's this.

Even the venerable RAV4 comes in with $2,036 in repairs and $6,136 in maintenance vs the $3,580 and $7,455 for the Grand Cherokee over 5 years.

I'm not even sure how they get to those numbers. Nobody I know, regardless of manufacturer, has spent anywhere near those amounts.

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2017/cost-to-own/#style=401658885

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

Even the venerable RAV4 comes in with $2,036 in repairs and $6,136 in maintenance vs the $3,580 and $7,455 for the Grand Cherokee over 5 years.

I'm not even sure how they get to those numbers. Nobody I know, regardless of manufacturer, has spent anywhere near those amounts.

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2017/cost-to-own/#style=401658885

Right, but how many rav and jeep owners do you know, and what is the fidelity of their input? Man, I deal with people all the time, and they are clueless about events in their own lives. Example: "Do you have any medical problems?" No...they say "No". Then..."Do you take any medications?" "Yes, I take lasix, metoprolol, Plavix..."

Bruhhhhh!!!!

So I question individual accounts. Often "never had a problem..." will morph into "well, the dealer did replace my transfer case at around 80k...but they paid for it under warranty..."

Are there issues with meta data? Yep, and it's the same. But...trends emerge with more static significance.

You basically said that the Jeel costs nearly 100% more in repairs than the Toyota...and I also am guessing that this means near 200% the down time, too. Which really sucks. Further...cost of parts difference may mean the foreign car (toyota) actually broke even less than the dollar ratio shows at a glance.

Either way, yah, I'd say nearly twice as much repairs really sucks.

I have experience with only 1 Jeep GC. I service a drop dead gorgeous 2015 top of the line GC with the turbo diesel V6.
The one with the $75 oil filter cartridge...
It belongs to a friend whose husband passed away too soon from cancer.

I am sorry to say Debbie's GC has been in for warranty issues a lot. Recently for about a month due to some class action issue.
She asked me about trading it for a F-150; she has decided to keep it. She's glad she bought the extended warranty.
Debbie also has an i8 Roadster... Sheesh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have experience with only 1 Jeep GC. I service a drop dead gorgeous 2015 top of the line GC with the turbo diesel V6.
The one with the $75 oil filter cartridge...
It belongs to a friend whose husband passed away too soon from cancer.

I am sorry to say Debbie's GC has been in for warranty issues a lot. Recently for about a month due to some class action issue.
She asked me about trading it for a F-150; she has decided to keep it. She's glad she bought the extended warranty.
Debbie also has an i8 Roadster... Sheesh.

Yep, the diesel version has been... not so great. 2015 is also pretty early, which is when the issues with the EcoDiesel were the most prevalent, regardless of the platform it was fitted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back