School me on a Jeep Grand Cherokee!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Wife drives a fully loaded 2014 GJ Overland 4x4 3.6L. Just turned 120k miles - ONLY issue we had is the leather dash wrinkling. BUT--- FCA is taking care of all these leather dashes back to 2011. So that is taking care of the customer!! We just got the recall notice in the mail last month. We have had NO other issues - the air suspension, motor, trans, t-case etc all still working fine. I am so impressed with this vehicle that it led me to purchase my RAM Limited truck which has also been trouble free for 64k miles. Yes work for GM and still own more GM than non-GM but I also am not stupid, I will buy what fits my needs and budget. GM makes NO comparable vehicle to the Jeep GJ and the RAM Limited beats the Denali (still have my old Denali) in luxury and features.

The Blazer and Acadia are *close* but I wish GM would come out with a RWD SUV, preferably with a 2 door option!
20.gif

When I meant comparable I was referring to off road capability. I failed to mention that in my post. GM may offer comparable sized options but they lack the 4WD capabilities the Jeeps offer.

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
JEEP= Just empty every pocket

I have to admit, I use this saying all the time, but it's after I drive my Jeep and something breaks. But mine is 24 years old, and 24 year old parts break so
21.gif
It's been hibernating since the end of December. I might drive it this weekend. We'll see if something else breaks
lol.gif

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Grow up, buddy. This isn't the first time you've accused me of being liar when it comes to FCA.

Ah yes, the Jackalope with zero experience with the product in question strolls into a thread soliciting meaningful feedback, drops a fat deuce of useless opinion, gets called on it, and then proceeds to instruct the party that calls him on it to grow up
lol.gif
I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying you've presented nothing of value other than 3rd party anecdotes and opinion, which you've yet to prove isn't simply the sum of your abilities.

it's obvious you're a FIAT fanboy by your vehicles in your signature.

I have an excellent relationship with the owner of my local dealer, I'm not a "fanboy" of any brand, most of my vehicles have been Ford products actually.

That's why you get your little feelings hurt when someone has facts that you don't agree with.

Sweetheart, it takes a lot more than some yokel with an opinion to hurt my feelings. I've simply pointed out that your "contributions" are devoid of value.

Out of all auto manufacturers, FCA is nowhere near the top in quality.

Never claimed they were, but unlike you, I actually have experience with the product in question.

Someday when you grow up you'll see the error of your ways. Have a great night!
smile.gif

Perhaps someday there will be a point where your cognition has matured sufficiently that you can wrap your head around there being value in actually having experience with the products you like to opine on. Then you too can provide meaningful contributions in threads like these.

Someone mentions anything FCA and here comes the story about the "friend who works for them but drives a Toyota"
21.gif
Got another Mario Andretti quote to share with us?

Still waiting for my out of warranty 300 to immolate itself, since that's what y'all think is what happens to them
crackmeup2.gif

Not trouble free but there are none that are. I have no first hand knowledge of the vehicle you speak of. I have much knowledge of the Pentastar and 62te and many other drivetrains/vehicles, your's would probably have the Torqueflite HP8 which is very good. The Pentastar V6 is also very good other than the first few years model years that had a bad batch of valve train parts from the third party manufacturer. The oil leak problem from getting he-man with the filter is well known. Take it easy, the o-ring doesn't need much torque. I think with proper maintenance the 200k threshold can be met if not exceeded. I've ridden in a few FCA minivan taxis that had more than 200k but have no idea if they were trouble free or not. I work on pretty much everything and it may be their prevalence but Ford's require my assistance more than any other brand.There is an interesting youtube video of a 500k 62te transmission on a Pentastar equipped delivery van 500k miles. Don't remember what mileage the engine has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV05LqVZ6J8

Somebody on this site posted an exhaustive road trip review of the vehicle you are interested in. He had mixed feelings about it. Maybe someone can find it and provide a link. I couldn't locate it.

You're ok with the insults, as tired as they are you did make them mildly risible. But when someone like you immediately resorts to insults, you have told everyone that you had your feelings hurt and are angry. The internet is a great place for cyberbullys because they can say things that they would never say to someone's face because there would be an immediate negative reaction whereby the bully would be dealt more than one knuckle sandwich.
smile.gif

I tell you what, show me hard data where the Grand Cherokee is more reliable and trouble-free than all the other vehicles in its class. Your anecdotal experiences could be total fabrications and are therefore meaningless. Notice how I stated "could be". Not to mention your brand loyalty is also a red flag to any thinking person.

The point of people on this forum and others asking for guidance on making the second largest purchase they will probably ever make is to attempt to diminish the chance they will buy a lemon. FCA produces some attractive vehicles and some of them are fun to drive, no doubt. But NO ONE can honestly say that Chrysler makes higher quality vehicles across their vehicle lines than Toyota or even Chevrolet. The data doesn't show it. If you think otherwise and say otherwise, you're lying to everyone but yourself. Don't be so sensitive or defensive of a brand to not be open to admitting there are better choices. "Brand loyalty" is the source of that sensitivity and defensiveness. Keeping an open mind is preferable to the alternative. Before all of my major purchases I do my own research, take emotion out of the equation and rely on data and people that I know and trust. Brand loyalty doesn't enter into the equation. To rely on one's esoteric ‘knowledge' or brand loyalty (could also be called emotion), could be a costly mistake.

If you want to continue with the insults and being just another cyberspace tough guy my suggestion would be to find something more productive to do with your time. Life is too short to be so uptight.

Speaking of data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=915hkwMdHiY

I tell you what, show me hard data where the Grand Cherokee is more reliable and trouble-free than all the other vehicles in its class. Your anecdotal experiences could be total fabrications and are therefore meaningless. Notice how I stated "could be". Not to mention your brand loyalty is also a red flag to any thinking person.

No one said they're trouble free, we in fact pointed out some common failure points/issues. But here we are, another FCA thread with people who either have never owned one themselves because it's always "my friend/brother/sister/cousin/best friends cousins uncles dads grandfather/whatever" or had one a decade or more ago trying to insert their asinine opinion about a totally unrelated model or one that has significant changes and bears no real resemblance to the old ones. But anybody who actually has one has to deal with BS like this.

Wait... of the 3 times I've been stranded by vehicles, one was a faulty fuel pump in a Dodge, one puked it's transmission fluid onto the highway in a Ford, but the one that really sucked was a 1995 Toyota Camry that blew a head gasket. Therefore, Toyota is junk!

Last edited:
I'm sure to offend someone. I worked at a Toyota dealer at one time, and various independent shops. I own two Toyotas, Two FCA products, four BMW's, a Ducati, a Suzuki, a Honda, a KTM. a couple others.

I'll never understand the rabid fanboy mindset. I can think of good and bad products from EVERY manufacturer. Buy what you want, I guarantee I will.

Every vehicle has issues to some degree. If it's easily fixable within reason, who cares? Members here will dog on others for wanting to buy a new car, but apparently some good ol PM is too much for them as well. You can't win.

I am told my Jeep isn't reliable, but I've seen the direct opposite. Perhaps it's really a Toyota? Not sure. Zero issues whatsoever and she's pushing 210k. I've had it for 11 years.

The only real failures have been a crank position sensor (4.0 quirk.. Nothing like cruising down the interstate and having your engine die for a 1.5 seconds.. and it's a pain to replace.. yet somehow this engine has an excellent reputation?) and a bad radiator at about 190k.

Last edited:
Our 2014 has been trouble free with 60,000 miles on it now. I am not brand loyal at all as you can see in my signature. I don't know why one wouldn't go 200,000 miles. Most of the cars made today will go that long easily. I think the Jeeps are very good vehicles and so do other people because you see them all over the place and the Pentastar engine has been proven to be reliable. I would buy another one without question.

Couple of these in the family.

I've considered putting a 4BT in one of them.

As far as the original drivetrain, I see no issue with them going 200k + miles.

Lower your trouble free bar to 150k and expect something after then. That is true of all brands including Toyota, Honda, Domestic, Euro etc.

You can forget 200k in a GC with out a lot of repairs. I'm sure there are a few who have, but they're the exception, not the norm. FCA's start falling apart long before that. A friend works for them and he drives Toyota's. What does that tell you? Lol. He even admits FCA sells eye candy and that's it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

You're ok with the insults, as tired as they are you did make them mildly risible.

Back it up a bit. My first reply to you was simply laughing at your 3rd party anecdote, since I happen to know every mechanic at my local dealer and my experience doesn't align with your "opinion from my singular buddy" and remarking as much. You then proceeded to accuse ME of trolling, immediately below my comment where I gave first-hand experience with THREE of the vehicles the OP is looking for feedback on. So who was the one that started the insults? Got a mirror handy?

But when someone like you immediately resorts to insults, you have told everyone that you had your feelings hurt and are angry.

See my point above. So, I made it a point to question the value of your useless opinion, you call me a troll, but I'm the one who immediately resorted to insults? Again, perhaps you need to scroll back through the thread to get a proper handle on whose contribution was inflammatory and devoid of value.

The internet is a great place for cyberbullys because they can say things that they would never say to someone's face because there would be an immediate negative reaction whereby the bully would be dealt more than one knuckle sandwich.
smile.gif

Ahhh yes, the looming threat of physical violence by the guy who claims he's not the bully. Icing on the cake here.

I tell you what, show me hard data where the Grand Cherokee is more reliable and trouble-free than all the other vehicles in its class.

Never said it was, I simply balked at your assertion that it was unable to make the mileage claimed because of some useless quip from "a friend". Brand bashing isn't useful and contrary to your assertion, makes you the troll.

Your anecdotal experiences could be total fabrications and are therefore meaningless.

I've posted detailed threads, complete with pictures, on every one of the vehicles I've owned. If you want to believe I've gone to the trouble of making that up, you go right ahead, but since you aren't the one looking for experience with the vehicle in question, it's up to the OP to value the merit of my contributions here.

Notice how I stated "could be". Not to mention your brand loyalty is also a red flag to any thinking person.

It's not brand loyalty, I've already mentioned that I've no favouritism for any brand, what I have a problem with is some guy BASHING a brand, then accusing another of being a "fanboi" because their opinion, and experience, doesn't fit into the mold that they've built with their bashing.

The point of people on this forum and others asking for guidance on making the second largest purchase they will probably ever make is to attempt to diminish the chance they will buy a lemon.

Right, they are looking at feedback on people who have OWNED the vehicle in question, not 3rd party anecdotes. Coming in and bashing the brand because you've managed to develop an unfavourable opinion of it, while providing nothing of value isn't helping the OP and instead, results in the ruination of threads like this one. You've not replied to any of the other posts addressing your first post in this thread, I assume because you are too hot-to-trot in engaging me at this juncture, but please, scroll back through and respond to the others that have taken exception to your comments.

FCA produces some attractive vehicles and some of them are fun to drive, no doubt. But NO ONE can honestly say that Chrysler makes higher quality vehicles across their vehicle lines than Toyota or even Chevrolet.

Cool, so the HF 3.6L V6 has historically been a good spot for GM then? What about truck transmissions, how many threads do we have on here with the 4L60E breaking? I've no personal experience with Toyota, so I can't comment on their reliability, but I've got plenty of seat time in various GM products and their quality is just as hit-and-miss as you accuse FCA of being. That does NOT mean that every GM product is garbage! I'm not willing to slam an entire brand just because they've produced some less-than-great products.

The data doesn't show it. If you think otherwise and say otherwise, you're lying to everyone but yourself.

I've provided my first-hand experience with the vehicle in question, I'm not lying to anyone; wait, weren't you the one claiming I accused YOU of lying in a previous thread? Now you are saying my personal experience is irrelevant and your opinion has more merit and if I believe my experience, I'm lying to myself? Boy, the contortions we put our minds through to maintain the narrative eh?
smirk.gif

Don't be so sensitive or defensive of a brand to not be open to admitting there are better choices.

The OP wasn't asking for opinions on what random people with no experience with the vehicle in question feels are "better choices". He asked for feedback on the Grand Cherokee, and there are a few of us, that have actually owned the product, that have provided our input. I made light of your vapid quip and you took exception to me pointing out its inherent lack of value, so it would seem the individual with the sensitivity problem is yourself.

"Brand loyalty" is the source of that sensitivity and defensiveness.

Then what did FCA do to offend you so that you feel compelled to pop into threads like these and pander useless opinion?

Keeping an open mind is preferable to the alternative.

You'd be wise to take your own advise on that then, if you truly believe it.

Before all of my major purchases I do my own research, take emotion out of the equation and rely on data and people that I know and trust. Brand loyalty doesn't enter into the equation.

So you don't specifically go on message boards like this one and ask for advice hoping that people that have NOT owned the product respond, so that you can take their advice instead? Weird.

To rely on one's esoteric ‘knowledge' or brand loyalty (could also be called emotion), could be a costly mistake.

And to rely on the opinion of some guy with zero experience and instead simply feels inclined to brand bash could be even more costly
21.gif

If you want to continue with the insults and being just another cyberspace tough guy my suggestion would be to find something more productive to do with your time. Life is too short to be so uptight.

The only one being a "tough guy" here is you. Telling people to grow up because they pointed out that your contribution here was devoid of value and then indicating that doing so in "real life" would result in a punch in the face. Classy. Here's a novel idea: Take your own advice and instead of providing useless heresy and flagrant opinion, derailing people's threads, you seek to provide valuable data and experience with products you've actually owned and have experience with, assuming that capability is within your wheelhouse
21.gif

You are a patient feller. I wouldn't have bothered to type out a response to the accusatory clabber in those earlier posts.

A note on pentastar oil filter housing leaking. It is an issue if you don't change the oil yourself. The cartridge filter cup does not need to be torqued. There is a flange on the cup that is meant to stop rotation and indicate the cup has been screwed in far enough for the o-ring to seal properly.
If you keep applying torque after the flange made contact with the housing, it stresses the housing itself.

The design is simply not very tolerant for this type of practice, which is quite common in oil change places. For them tighter = better seal.

If you diy oil changes, it's should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
You can forget 200k in a GC with out a lot of repairs. I'm sure there are a few who have, but they're the exception, not the norm. FCA's start falling apart long before that. A friend works for them and he drives Toyota's. What does that tell you? Lol. He even admits FCA sells eye candy and that's it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Agreed. I love experts with zero experience to back up their opinions. Another village is missing its idiot.

Originally Posted by ofelas
You are a patient feller. I wouldn't have bothered to type out a response to the accusatory clabber in those earlier posts.

Much more patient than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back