Picked up a bidirectional scan tool

Figured it’s time to start exploring and purchase a “beginners” bidirectional scan tool to use for more advanced diagnostics, easier trouble shooting, and more in depth analysis of the systems.

Some research later and an accidental marketplace find, it appears the Ancel MK808BT is actually a OTOfix D1 sub brand, but with the same exact software as the ancel.

The initial results are very positive for the price point. I picked up this device off the marketplace for $230. It is brand new in the case used once. The original owner bought it to use the directional capabilities on newer European vehicles…. We all know that situation, so they had to upgrade to the Pro Max version to get that for the European systems and listed this one for a very reasonable price.

It has all updates until late 2025 included. While I don’t need it for the newest vehicles on the market, I was really surprised with the amount of capabilities for the Hyundais Kia’s. And again for the price point makes this device a awesome companion: the software is logically laid out, the hardware is pretty smooth with its performance… it reads the information from the vehicle pretty quick, even though it’s wireless Bluetooth obd2 connector. Battery life is unstoppable., and the Wi-Fi connectivity is over 440 Mbps on 5G WiFi, and can download gigabytes wirth of updates in a matter of minutes.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I would recommend this scanner, especially if you could find one on the used market. Yes, the screen resolution is a little large, but the text is clear, and images are sharp. I also think that helps with the amazing battery life. It also came with a factory installed glass screen protector, that in itself is a huge win in my opinion, as it shows attention to quality and detail from the company. (Ancel)

I will post a couple more pictures of some of the available functions for these Hyundai and Kia’s later but initial testing I was able to read all tpms sensors,(psi, frequency, and battery level ect) adjust “hidden” controls such as automatic door locks at certain speed and horn feedback, really get nitty gritty into details on the ecu, could read and copy keyfob codes, activate individual modulars, reset the adaptive values of multiple sensors such as throttle and SAS, tapped into the airbag system, ABS system, traction control system, and again all information was able to be read.

Will update soon with a more in-depth review, as there are couple other vehicles with CEL lit up I would like to try this out on such as older mid 00’s Chrysler and Chevys.

To be continued, and something tells me this is only the beginning 😂
IMG_4076.jpeg

Figured it’s time to start exploring and purchase a “beginners” bidirectional scan tool to use for more advanced diagnostics, easier trouble shooting, and more in depth analysis of the systems.

Some research later and an accidental marketplace find, it appears the Ancel MK808BT is actually a OTOfix D1 sub brand, but with the same exact software as the ancel.

The initial results are very positive for the price point. I picked up this device off the marketplace for $230. It is brand new in the case used once. The original owner bought it to use the directional capabilities on newer European vehicles…. We all know that situation, so they had to upgrade to the Pro Max version to get that for the European systems and listed this one for a very reasonable price.

It has all updates until late 2025 included. While I don’t need it for the newest vehicles on the market, I was really surprised with the amount of capabilities for the Hyundais Kia’s. And again for the price point makes this device a awesome companion: the software is logically laid out, the hardware is pretty smooth with its performance… it reads the information from the vehicle pretty quick, even though it’s wireless Bluetooth obd2 connector. Battery life is unstoppable., and the Wi-Fi connectivity is over 440 Mbps on 5G WiFi, and can download gigabytes wirth of updates in a matter of minutes.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I would recommend this scanner, especially if you could find one on the used market. Yes, the screen resolution is a little large, but the text is clear, and images are sharp. I also think that helps with the amazing battery life. It also came with a factory installed glass screen protector, that in itself is a huge win in my opinion, as it shows attention to quality and detail from the company. (Ancel)

I will post a couple more pictures of some of the available functions for these Hyundai and Kia’s later but initial testing I was able to read all tpms sensors,(psi, frequency, and battery level ect) adjust “hidden” controls such as automatic door locks at certain speed and horn feedback, really get nitty gritty into details on the ecu, could read and copy keyfob codes, activate individual modulars, reset the adaptive values of multiple sensors such as throttle and SAS, tapped into the airbag system, ABS system, traction control system, and again all information was able to be read.

Will update soon with a more in-depth review, as there are couple other vehicles with CEL lit up I would like to try this out on such as older mid 00’s Chrysler and Chevys.

To be continued, and something tells me this is only the beginning 😂
View attachment 190424
If it'll pull ABS codes on '98-02 Rams I'd be VERY impressed. Then again, not many people need to.

Great deal for a tablet style scanner!!

I recently got an Otofix D1 and it's a very nice scanner for the price. It's Autel software. I wasn't aware that Ancel uses Autel software.

The only thing that I don't like about the D1 is once I updated it after receiving it, it had already used a majority of the hard drive space. I installed a SD card to increase storage.

I have the Auto Enginuity. (although I have not seen it since my move from NY to DE.) It requires a laptop.

If you have a Ford the FORSCAN application is an excellent bi-directional scanner. Can program key fobs.

Now if you have a boat you need a Diacom and that's a lot more expensive than scanners for automobiles.

It looks a literal spitting image of the Autel that I just bought
You got a great deal, enjoy it 🤌

Try and succeed where I fail, mild profiting when working for others
You now have the ability to do some immobilizer and keyfob programming
And ABS/SRS scanning and clearing

I know H/K doesn't have on board remote fob programming, and many people only have 1 or no remote fob, which means the cars bricked after the Kia Boyz update

Might make a good side hustle for you 👀
1000008263.jpg

I have to give a little more detailed update on this.

I have spent a little while with the device on the H/K vehicles plus a couple newer vehicles into the mix. Although this post is mainly in regards to the forte.

Yes, this unit reads near every bit of data, but the I think the “true” bi-directional functionality is pretty limited. I was on the fence to actually follow through with seeing if settings would initiate, and stay. Unfortunately most times I get communication error.. I just kinda thought the steering angle reset calibration was a basic function esp on the old forte but currently I have yet to have it succeed… I also went and changed a couple of the customization options under the ECU, such as to have the door locks unlock when parking brake is on, but unfortunately none of those settings would stay either and would “revert” to Key Out.

Basic commands in the bi-directional functionality do work, though, such as send commanding to individual lights on the cluster or activating wipers and door locks ect, also the unit does display the data from it appears all sensors. That itself was worth the price that I paid…. On the other hand… if I purchased this unit at full retail, I believe the value proposition would’ve been a lot less and overall would been slightly disappointed. I kinda just assumed that most functions would work with the old H/K cars, and expected most functions not to work with much newer vehicles again given the price point.

Overall I absolutely would still recommend this unit but only if you can buy it for an extremely reasonable price on maybe the used market.. a very strong point of this unit is capability to display information data overload, if needed. Basic commands also do work such as testing purge valves, relays, and other basic engine components.

One last thing that I never knew but was under the impression is: one diagnostics computer does not. “do it all“ and some brands have more/better connectivity with some car brands vs other brands and model combinations ect. Something I will keep In my mind.

Picture time!

Here is the non working SAS calibration mode
IMG_4172.jpeg
IMG_4173.jpeg

Under service, the unit does display all these options….. but only about 4 or so actually work. I did not test brake bleed, but verified it does pull the tpms data, is capable of throttle adaptation reset, and reading the key id, tpms id codes, ecu software / part number date ect.

IMG_4174.jpeg
IMG_4176.jpeg
IMG_4175.jpeg

Under hot functions, there are few options but all options do work.
IMG_4177.jpeg

Under control unit of sub systems now again not too many options but most of these do work, at the minimum the unit is able to retrieve the data.
IMG_4178.jpeg
IMG_4179.jpeg

Back