Safelite using wiper upsell to boost profit margin?

My son-in-law recently had a new windshield installed in his 18 Civic. When the technician installed the new windshield, he then switched to his sales side. He told my son-in-law that unless he had the technician install new wiper blades for $60, the old blades could scratch the new windshield and void the lifetime warranty. However, to soften the blow, a person can stop in at any Safelite location in six months and they will install a new pair of wiper blades for free.

With my insurance, new wiper blades were free when Safelite replaced a broken windshield. Took them 3 trips to get it right as the first was installed off center, second the pillars were popping off, third they needed to install a new windshield again as they couldn’t guarantee the first wasn’t damaged by being installed incorrectly. Do they expect you to run their blades forever? I wouldn’t sweat it if the existing are in good shape.

My son-in-law recently had a new windshield installed in his 18 Civic. When the technician installed the new windshield, he then switched to his sales side. He told my son-in-law that unless he had the technician install new wiper blades for $60, the old blades could scratch the new windshield and void the lifetime warranty. However, to soften the blow, a person can stop in at any Safelite location in six months and they will install a new pair of wiper blades for free.
They do that online when you setting your metting. And they have been doing it forever I think.

.... a person can stop in at any Safelite location in six months and they will install a new pair of wiper blades for free.
I'm sure that means within six months, but it's funny nonetheless. I hope your son-in-law told the guy he'd keep using the old blades for five more months and then he'd think about coming in for new ones.

Wow, they'll void your warranty because you didn't let them scam you.
You still get a warranty on the workmanship and install of the windshield without buying blades. The technician didn't know what he was talking about-or more likely with second hand stories things are lost in translation.

I on the other hand with offer you first generation info by providing the link below-

Last edited:
If you go to the Safelite website and request a quote (Year/Make/Model/Trim) they'll give you a price for the windshield.
Each and every week following they'll either send you a lower quote or significant discount.

Yep. That happened to me also. The technician (questionable) was more interested in selling the wiper blades than my repair. Turns out he didn’t do squat. My insurance paid for a repair with Safelite that didn’t happen. By the way, the insurance sided with Safelite when I called to say nothing was done to my windshield. Still had the small bullseye damage. Better off going with an independent glass company however the insurance companies and Safelite are in a funky under the table partnership.

Are you folks happy with Safelite's work? I won't go back to the last place I used, too sloppy.

I have used Safelite for several windshields and was pleased with each job until the last attempt. I tried to make the Safelite reservation online and they offered 3 different priced options. I tried every way in the world to contact them to see what the differences were between the options and could not reach a human being on the phone. I gave up and called a local shop who answered on the first ring and quoted only about $10 more than Safelite's cheapest option. Done in 3 minutes.

I wonder if a decent quality wiper. I had to spend $20/wiper at Walmart for decent one and regretted not just have install pair for $50 parts/labor.

Back