Run Extra Guard for 10k or Ultra Guard for 20k?

You might be misunderstanding my post... Let me explain some more. Leave "Efficiencies" out as that was not what I was talking about in any way. My point is that if you established an oil drain interval via UOA testing & it concluded that 10k was the time to change why pay for an 20k Ultra filter when a TG would work? That would be somewhat of a waste of money IMO assuming an Ultra costs more.

OK - so you're using the UOA data to establish an OCI, and then the filter is simply getting changed with the OCI; the FCI is just correlated with the OCI. So your precept is there is no sense paying for "more" filter than you're going to use. In that case, I would agree.

That doesn't negate the OPs question though ... 1 EG for a 10k mile OCI, or 1 Ultra for two OCIs ...

Last edited:
OK - so you're using the UOA data to establish an OCI, and then the filter is simply getting changed with the OCI; the FCI is just correlated with the OCI. So your precept is there is no sense paying for "more" filter than you're going to use. In that case, I would agree.

That doesn't negate the OPs question though ... 1 EG for a 10k mile OCI, or 1 Ultra for two OCIs ...
Yes, your understanding is correct.

I'm trying to decide if I want to run an Extra Guard 4967 for 10k miles or Ultra Guard for 20k miles on my 2.5L Camry. I run 10k OCI. I've had no issues so far running an Extra Guard on this car for 10k. What would you guys do?
I would go with the Ultra for 2x10k mile OCI's but as previously suggested a 4386. A little bigger and a little more media

I'm trying to decide if I want to run an Extra Guard 4967 for 10k miles or Ultra Guard for 20k miles on my 2.5L Camry. I run 10k OCI. I've had no issues so far running an Extra Guard on this car for 10k. What would you guys do?
If you haven’t had an issue with what you’ve been doing then why change?
Unless you’ve noticed the quality drop in fram filters and that concerns you. You could just grab a ST filter or if you think you need a silicone ADBV ann MP and use it for your 10k oci. I have an MP cartridge in wife’s van (don’t make an st for it) half way through its second 10k mile oci.

Back