Royal Purple 10-48 C&P 4,800 miles

I can't find anything about a First Brands that existed before the rebrand, it appears that First Brands Corporation was a "new" name not an acquisition
Could be just a rename of Trico per link below which has more info. Other link called it an acquisition. Sounds like renamed to First Brands when Crowne Group acquired Trico. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Could be just a rename of Trico per link below which has more info. Other link called it an aquisition. Sounds like renamed to First Brands when Crown Group aquired Trico. 🤷‍♂️

I seen that site and from what I can tell all the information on it is about Trico, they just changed the name in the article to First Brands after Trico changed it's name. I can't find any reference to First Brands before 2020 except the one that Clorox owned if you go back in the web archive firstbrands.com was once a Clorox corporate page and later on it would just redirect you to Clorox seems that any use of First Brands in reference to the former Union Carbide Automotive division died after Clorox sold them.

I seen that site and from what I can tell all the information on it is about Trico, they just changed the name in the article to First Brands after Trico changed it's name. I can't find any reference to First Brands before 2020 except the one that Clorox owned if you go back in the web archive firstbrands.com was once a Clorox corporate page and later on it would just redirect you to Clorox seems that any use of First Brands in reference to the former Union Carbide Automotive division died after Clorox sold them.
From my last link:
"First Brands Group was formerly known as Trico Group. The company was founded in 1917 and is based in Rochester, Michigan. In July 2014, First Brands Group was acquired by Crowne Group."

Makes it sound like Trico acquired Fram (see links below), then Crowne Group acquired Trico and then renamed it "First Brands". Who knows, lol, 🤷‍♂️

"Trico Group is the still relatively new name in the aftermarketfor private Crowne Group, which acquired the Trico business in 2014. Prior to the recently announced acquisitions, Trico Group brands included the Trico wiper brand, Carter fuel systems, and Strongarm lift supports."

Both companies founded by the same guy.
1700269532345.png

First Brands Group was acquired by Crowne Group.
1700269581493.png

In this link: "First Brands Group (formerly TRICO Group) is a global automotive parts company"

Last edited:
What I hold as fact is, Crowne Acquired Trico in 2014, Crowne Renamed it's aftermarket automotive division into Trico Group in 2018, in 2020 Crowne then Rebranded Trico as First Brands. Where this plays in with Fram is that in 2011 Honeywell spun-off some of it's divisions, Fram Group was then sold to Rank Group, in 2018 Rank group, which has also owned Champion Labs(UCI) since 2011, sold Fram Group(which includes other aftermarket automotive products including Autolite spark plugs) and Champion laps to Trico Group.

What I hold as fact is, Crowne Acquired Trico in 2014, Crowne Renamed it's aftermarket automotive division into Trico Group in 2018, in 2020 Crowne then Rebranded Trico as First Brands. Where this plays in with Fram is that in 2011 Honeywell spun-off some of it's divisions, Fram Group was then sold to Rank Group, in 2018 Rank group, which has also owned Champion Labs(UCI) since 2011, sold Fram Group(which includes other aftermarket automotive products including Autolite spark plugs) and Champion laps to Trico Group.
Yes, much of what I linked above keeps saying First Brands was formally known as Trico (a rename/rebrand). Where is the info/link that shows Crown Group acquired Trico before Trico acquired Fram? Above it said that Crown Group acquired First Brands - maybe it was called Trico at the time of aquisition (?). This who bought who, and who is who all sounds RANK to me. 😄

1700273062825.jpg

Last edited:
maybe it was called Trico at the time of aquisition (?).

View attachment 189063
Yeah, It would've been Trico at the time, to me it seems what's happened is that the company changed names and that website just took all references to Trico Group and find and replaced it to First Brands Group, as it also says First Brands was founded in 1917, which is when Trico was founded.

Don't know for sure. First Brands owns both Fram and Champion Labs, so hard to say exactly where each filter model is manufactured.
My theory has always been that they are made in the same Champion plant as the base plate, use of louvers, end caps, and media style are all champion components. Since Champion and Fram are sister companies, I don't think it really matters to the corporate heads which plant and which components are used. Whatever is the most profitable is what they're going to use. Most distinguishing Fram part about it though is the use of the finest filtering media possible and the whole can being covered in a grippy surface. So far I really like the one on my Viper.

Back