Amsoil EaO17 C&P 7,000 miles

From my 2013 Suburban 1500 5.3L with 146,400 miles. In service for 7,000 miles and 5 months with Mobil 1 0w-40 FS (SN). Replaced with an Amsoil EaO17 and Mobil 1 0w-40 FS (SP).

IMG_3677.jpegIMG_3679.jpegIMG_3680.jpegIMG_3681.jpegIMG_3682.jpegIMG_3684.jpegIMG_3685.jpegIMG_3686.jpegIMG_3689.jpeg

Oh, the horror of leaf springs ... I remember the days on BITOG when people would just cringe unless a filter used a coil spring. If this were a Fram EG, people would decry its use. But put a leaf spring in a premium Amsoil filter and no one notices. Brand bias at its best.

All that aside, the filter looks great. But it should, considering both the lube and the filter are way under-utilized.

Last edited:
Good run. The oil does appear to be a fairly good dark color on this 7k run. What oil did you use for this filter? You plan to stick w/7k intervals?

EDIT: Just seen that you used Mobil 0w-40 SN on this run & then replaced it with the latest SP version.

Last edited:
Good run. The oil does appear to be a fairly good dark color on this 7k run. What oil did you use for this filter? You plan to stick w/7k intervals?

EDIT: Just seen that you used Mobil 0w-40 SN on this run & then replaced it with the latest SP version.

I've had a few OCIs now of 0w-40 with a lot of carbon debris in the filter, but that looks to be tapering off. I might cut this one at 5k and if it looks good, then go 2 5k OCIs.

Color of the oil indicates nothing about its ability to protect, nor where in its lifespan it is. That’s the stuff a UOA is properly equipped to tell you. Viscosity, TBN, fuel %, etc.

That certainly seems to imply that the color matters. If not, I’m glad you’ve already learned that from this site. 👍🏻

I’m gonna have to say… I have seen brand new oil from a bad oil “ blender” and that oil was super dark like Pepsi Cola… And that oil container was unopened. I opened it… That would suggest oil color did matter there a whole, whole lot. . In cases like that one it did show something was obviously wrong with that oil.

I got it from a gas station very close to where I live.

And a API oil that is known to be good when put in a car… Then after a number of miles looks like a milkshake color… You got coolant mixed in that oil… And it is bad, bad cool leak somewhere in that engine.

Those are not typical circumstances for sure. But clearly oil color can have some meaning in certain circumstances.

I believe that transmission oils and power steering pump fluids color can at least show oxidation in those oils. Which may not mean those oils are in bad shape or should be replaced…. But it does indicate a fair amount of heat exposure. Which is worthy of noting.

Oh, the horror of leaf springs ... I remember the days on BITOG when people would just cringe unless a filter used a coil spring. If this were a Fram EG, people would decry its use. But put a leaf spring in a premium Amsoil filter and no one notices. Brand bias at its best.

All that aside, the filter looks great. But it should, considering both the lube and the filter are way under-utilized.
who manufactures the filters for Amsoil anyway? Champ or someone else?

Looks, and sounds, like the M1 FS 0W-40 has been doing some cleaning. What oil was used prior?

If memory serves, roughly 100k with dealer bulk (previous owners), maybe 18k with Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE, and the last 28k or so with 0w-40 FS.

Back