Router Recommendations

Well, like usual for me, a long delay, but I am finally giving an update.
I went to the local Spectrum store and got a new modem for "free". It has their own Spectrum markings on it, not sure who makes it for them. Sticker says "PC20".
I purchased the TpLink Deco mesh system listed a few posts up. It installed pretty easy once the modem was hooked up (NOT so easy, I struggled getting that connected with the Spectrum app on my phone).
I can't say that I really noticed that much of a difference. The modem and one router are in the master bedroom upstairs, a router in the kitchen area upstairs, and one modem downstairs.
I just ran some speed tests about 10:00, Monday morning. Large differences. I used speedtest.net as suggested above.
Spectrum service on my plan: 300 Mbps
Spectrum app on my phone (iPhone 11): 319 up, 11 down
Old, refurbished Dell laptop: 61.5 up, 7 down
My phone on speedtest.net: 184 up, down not listed
8 year old HP laptop from work: 117 up, 11.5 down
Daughter's HP laptop (a couple years old): 347.5 up, 11 down
Deco app on my phone: 372 up, 12 down
Downloaded and installed firmware update.
Old Dell laptop second test: 86 up, 9 down
HP work laptop second test: 185 up, 11.5 down
~
Thanks again to @alarmguy and @Skippy722 for your input.
Let me know what you think of my test results listed above.

Well, like usual for me, a long delay, but I am finally giving an update.
Let me know what you think of my test results listed above.
Looks like your results are spot on. (besides having them reversed as another posted;))
Using your iPhone and Safari Browser or Spectrum App it looks like wherever you are in your home you are getting or close to getting the 300Mbps speed you are paying for. I like to use browsers rather than Apps so cant really comment.
I see you mention your Safari its a bit slower, I dont know why if you are on the 5ghz wifi band. Unless you are using Apples Private Relay which I sometimes find a bottle neck. Either way, it all looks good to me a bit mores since your daughters laptop is turning those speeds.

Individual older equipment doesnt count, results will vary. But if you can get those speeds on a recent newer device you are doing well.

@AJB0009
TO give you an idea, here are two speed tests, taken from the same computer within minutes of each other. I repeated the test a few times, typical results on the HORRIBLE iCloud Private Relay. It's very unreliable, somedays or times of day it can be good, other days not. Inexcusable if you ask me but not like you will notice unless if gets really bad at any time of the day.
Private relay is an optional service with an Apple Plus account, it hides your IP address.

First result is with Apple Relay active on my MAC DESKTOP
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.30.33 AM.jpg

This second result is with Private Relay off.
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.32.31 AM.jpg

Currently have a Motorola MR2600 which has been ultra reliable for over 3 years, Nov 2024 will be 4 years. (It replaced a very reliable TpLink Archer C7 back then which still sits in my closet as an emergency back up should the existing router fail)
However in our new home we now have fiber, 300/300 previous home was cable 100/12
All is still good as you can see by my test results right above this post in post #44. The router easily keeps up with whatever we do, never needs a reset and it also handles our security system, wifi camera, Z-wave exterior door locks (through a Z-wave controller), wifi garage door controller and Z-Wave thermostat, oops, laser printer too.

At the 4 year mark I would typically always change out a router just the fact that it's been running for 4 years. Actually just did a firmware update to the MR2600 two days ago, the update was dated Nov 2022. Router still sold but out of production.

I just got antsy, so at the almost 3.5 year mark I ordered this TpLink on sale for $79 being it is a generation behind. It's still only a WiFi 5 AC router and that is fine with our connection speed. For the price I just had to try it out. I couldnt resist even though this time of year the last thing I want to do is spend time configuring another router to the above stuff.

The only benefits I could see with this router is it will be brand new and 5g may better extend outside the house and have the full 300/300 inside which I get in someplace's but not all.
More or less I am only doing this to beat the speed test, other than that it wont do anything more that I know, except brand new and not running 24 hours a day for the last 3.5 years almost.
So using the same SSID and passwords if everything doesnt magically start working I will return it, no loss there. Returns are free too.
It should arrive in two days and it will get returned if I have to start all over with my door locks, thermostat, camera, garage door, laser printer because Im not motivated enough at this time should they not work. I just wouldnt be able to bring myself to get out the booklets on relearning stuff in. One or two simple ones ok, but nothing more.

Any Hiccups and it will go back, my current MR2600 never misses a beat and I mean NEVER do any of my devices go off line but at some point sooner or later it has to be replaced so for $79 its worth a try. If not then maybe down the road I will pick up the Archer AX 73. Now that the warm whether is here I focus on outdoor work (landscaping etc...) so only ordered this based on what I see as a closeout price.

If anyone interested here is the link, just know they are clearing them out and I am sure no longer in production, though firmware updates seem up to date on the TpLink website. PS. Amazon sells it for $89, Im sure clearing them out.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.12.50 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Currently have a Motorola MR2600 which has been ultra reliable for over 3 years, Nov 2024 will be 4 years. (It replaced a very reliable TpLink Archer C7 back then which still sits in my closet as an emergency back up should the existing router fail)
However in our new home we now have fiber, 300/300 previous home was cable 100/12
All is still good as you can see by my test results right above this post in post #44. The router easily keeps up with whatever we do, never needs a reset and it also handles our security system, wifi camera, Z-wave exterior door locks (through a Z-wave controller), wifi garage door controller and Z-Wave thermostat, oops, laser printer too.

At the 4 year mark I would typically always change out a router just the fact that it's been running for 4 years. Actually just did a firmware update to the MR2600 two days ago, the update was dated Nov 2022. Router still sold but out of production.

I just got antsy, so at the almost 3.5 year mark I ordered this TpLink on sale for $79 being it is a generation behind. It's still only a WiFi 5 AC router and that is fine with our connection speed. For the price I just had to try it out. I couldnt resist even though this time of year the last thing I want to do is spend time configuring another router to the above stuff.

The only benefits I could see with this router is it will be brand new and 5g may better extend outside the house and have the full 300/300 inside which I get in someplace's but not all.
More or less I am only doing this to beat the speed test, other than that it wont do anything more that I know, except brand new and not running 24 hours a day for the last 3.5 years almost.
So using the same SSID and passwords if everything doesnt magically start working I will return it, no loss there. Returns are free too.
It should arrive in two days and it will get returned if I have to start all over with my door locks, thermostat, camera, garage door, laser printer because Im not motivated enough at this time should they not work. I just wouldnt be able to bring myself to get out the booklets on relearning stuff in. One or two simple ones ok, but nothing more.

Any Hiccups and it will go back, my current MR2600 never misses a beat and I mean NEVER do any of my devices go off line but at some point sooner or later it has to be replaced so for $79 its worth a try. If not then maybe down the road I will pick up the Archer AX 73. Now that the warm whether is here I focus on outdoor work (landscaping etc...) so only ordered this based on what I see as a closeout price.

If anyone interested here is the link, just know they are clearing them out and I am sure no longer in production, though firmware updates seem up to date on the TpLink website. PS. Amazon sells it for $89, Im sure clearing them out.

View attachment 207846
Dude, maybe change your name to TP-Link Guy? Does the CCP know you are shilling for them? You might qualify for commission if you aren't getting it already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad day at work? Home?
Or is it just that you didn’t get to choose what I buy for my house?
You wrote a 5 paragraph post promoting TP-Link including a link on where to buy the product you are shilling, pardon me for getting the impression that this is approaching what one would consider "paid content" at this point.

I'm not stupid enough to think that my expertise on this subject, or any other, could be presented in a way that could influence your purchasing decisions, but I'll be ****ed if I let you endlessly promote Chinese network gear while playing dress-up as an SME.

You wrote a 5 paragraph post promoting TP-Link including a link on where to buy the product you are shilling, pardon me for getting the impression that this is approaching what one would consider "paid content" at this point.

I'm not stupid enough to think that my expertise on this subject, or any other, could be presented in a way that could influence your purchasing decisions, but I'll be ****ed if I let you endlessly promote Chinese network gear while playing dress-up as an SME.
Clearly you have some type of reading comprehension issue. The first four paragraphs are a discussion on something that I am trying.
Last two paragraphs talk about a router that I am trying that is $90 less than when it first came out.
Stop giving yourself too much credit and stop flinging wild, lying accusations, I used to think better of you.
Absolutely unbelievable childish banter …

Last edited:
The only problem with TP-Link is that I don't trust their firmware. They actually have at least one backdoor built into each device they sell. And yes, I do own TP-Link devices, including a 10 Gigabit switch, as they are good value for money. But all of them are behind a pfSense firewall. For most consumers, such a setup would be cumbersome and expensive, so I highly recommend a router that can easily run OpenWRT, or one that is not made by a Chinese company.

Clearly you have some type of reading comprehension issue.
Now you are just deflecting. I'm many things, but stupid isn't one of them. I'm just sick of the schtick. You are blind to it, I totally get that, but you do this constantly, this "plugging" where you over-the-top promote and defend a brand, even when the evidence doesn't support your glowing endorsement. You did it with LG in the fridge thread, and you do it in all the bloody network gear threads with TP-Link.
The first four paragraphs are a discussion on something that I am trying.
No, they tell a tale about how, at the price point, you just couldn't resist that delicious allure of the TP:
alarmguy said:
For the price I just had to try it out. I couldnt resist even though this time of year the last thing I want to do is spend time configuring another router to the above stuff.
Oh, tell us more! Where can I find one!? Is this deal available for everyone?!
Last two paragraphs talk about a router that I am trying that is $90 less than when it first came out.
It's you working up to the sales pitch and the link for people to "get one now, supplies are limited!":
alarmguy said:
Stop giving yourself too much credit
Too much credit for what?
and stop flinging wild, lying accusations, I used to think better of you.
Where's the lie? You sound like you are selling something. It's an observation, you don't like it? Maybe try not sounding like you are selling something 🤷‍♂️

I used to find you less frustrating. But, recently, the LG fridge thread, the hydrogen stuff, the TP-link plugging, well, it got old. Sorry if that grates you.
Absolutely unbelievable childish banter …
From the guy that wrote a 5 paragraph dissertation in somebody else's thread about the TP-Link deal that was just so irresistible that he was almost salivating at the sight of it! and then the work-up to the sale "but act now! they are closing them out!" with the link.

See, I know I'm sometimes not a "pleasant" person. Some might even call me a "Richard", and I'm sure a few other choice labels that have run through your head when reading my replies in this exchange. I'm OK with that. I don't ask, need, nor expect you to like me. I will however, always be honest with you, so you can be assured that when I tell you that you sound like you are trying to sell something, it's because that's how I see it coming across.

Last edited:
Now you are just deflecting. I'm many things, but stupid isn't one of them. I'm just sick of the schtick. You are blind to it, I totally get that, but you do this constantly, this "plugging" where you over-the-top promote and defend a brand, even when the evidence doesn't support your glowing endorsement. You did it with LG in the fridge thread, and you do it in all the bloody network gear threads with TP-Link.

No, they tell a tale about how, at the price point, you just couldn't resist that delicious allure of the TP:

It's you working up to the sales pitch and the link for people to "get one now, supplies are limited!":

Where's the lie? You sound like you are selling something. It's an observation, you don't like it? Maybe try not sounding like you are selling something 🤷‍♂️

I used to find you less frustrating. But, recently, the LG fridge thread, the hydrogen stuff, the TP-link plugging, well, it got old. Sorry if that grates you.

From the guy that wrote a 5 paragraph dissertation in somebody else's thread about the TP-Link deal that was just so irresistible that he was almost salivating at the sight of it! and then the work-up to the sale "but act now! they are closing them out!" with the link.

See, I know I'm sometimes not a "pleasant" person. Some might even call me a "Richard", and I'm sure a few other choice labels that have run through your head when reading my replies in this exchange. I'm OK with that. I don't ask, need, nor expect you to like me. I will however, always be honest with you, so you can be assured that when I tell you that you sound like you are trying to sell something, it's because that's how I see it coming across.
Don't get him started on life saving iPhones or LG refrigerators again. 🤣

More childish banter against a person who posted a link about a router selling at a great price from one of the leading router companies in the USA if not the world.

Lies or insinuations?
Go back and read your childish reply to me in post 46.

Not playing your game “dude”.
The title of this thread is “router recommendations” and it’s clear your personal attacks on me are solely because you don’t like my post #45 mentioning a router that is clearly in line with the subject of the OP.

No matter what your replies to me are your wrong “dude”

Last edited:
(Back to the OP subject)
I’ve had the TP link Archer C4000 that I bought in post #45 up and running for the last day and a half.

So far is a keeper but another week needed to feel comfortable it will keep all my previous mentioned devices flawlessly connected like my older Motorola MR2600 did.

As mentioned I have a fair amount of devices on it. I set it up using the same SSID and passwords from the last router and it worked well, did not have issues with any of the WiFi smart home devices in my house. I did make sure to restart the entire network meaning the router and fiber optic Internet company provided modem.

I did play around with the DNS settings on one of four personal computers in my home and on my wife’s company provided workstation (5th computer) they went in and did a remote update. These two items would have been with any router change in my house and most people would have no issue at all as it had nothing to do with the router, but had to do with the computer settings that were not automatic

Amazon also sells it for $89
There are also many online reviews from traditional technology websites that did reviews on it and easy to find with a search.

Last edited:
... in 2018. It's at the end of the consumer product lifecycle and is unlikely to get any updates.
Doesn't matter, it's a deal, because he found it, and because it's TP-Link, ACT NOW!
1710511321914.jpg

TP-LinkGuy.jpeg

But it gets better!

Apparently TP-Link, a Chinese national, is also a leading router company in the USA!
TP-Link Guy said:
at a great price from one of the leading router companies in the USA if not the world
Move over Cisco and Juniper, we've got the $80 Chinese Amazon special to move those packets! 🫠

... in 2018. It's at the end of the consumer product lifecycle and is unlikely to get any updates.
Yeah, I get that and why I point out production is ending. It's why it's the price it is. I did the same with my Motorola MR2600. Im not concerned if I own a router that goes one year or two without an update, there are way more old routers out there. It's been an incredibly reliable router with amazing range, cant believe no one trashed that one being its made by Lenovo as all Motorola routers and modems are. Lenovo is a Chinese company too and they sell laptops as we know.
Actually just updated the Motorola 2 weeks back if that long, noticed I missed a Nov 2022 update.

We will see how long they support the TpLink C4000 with firmware updates, so far it's very current, last one from 11/2023. It also comes with a whole slew of Trendnet anti hacking stuff etc. I haven't activated it, doubt I ever will if I have to give my contact or email personal information. From what I understand in this version it's lifetime or free for three years but honestly I never subscribe to this stuff anyway.
From what I understand some routers now force you to enter your information to use the router. I dont know how current or if even correct but I heard Netgear was one of them on a review site by that "Jon" named guy. TP Link doesnt require anything. Consumer Reports also comments on router privacy and rates companies.

I dont know if I will even keep it, only 36 hours or more into using it but so far very good. Downloads are exceeding the MR2600 speed past the 300/300 I pay for, interesting part is the upload is slower. Last I tested I am at 310+Mbps down load and only half that upload. Ill know more next week, need to play around with it even give it another reboot, good news is my smart home stuff always works, so far its a keeper. I like trying new stuff at great prices, in today's world everyone takes returns and no loss.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.34.43 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem with TP-Link is that I don't trust their firmware. They actually have at least one backdoor built into each device they sell. And yes, I do own TP-Link devices, including a 10 Gigabit switch, as they are good value for money. But all of them are behind a pfSense firewall. For most consumers, such a setup would be cumbersome and expensive, so I highly recommend a router that can easily run OpenWRT, or one that is not made by a Chinese company.
new last week unifi released the cloud gateway ultra which is a $129 router with 1GBIT ids/ips performance
2.5 gbit wan, 4 port switch. (no wap)
could put this in front of the tplink router (setup as wap)
Its a nice bit of kit with an attractive price point for the performance.

Im not concerned if I own a router that goes one year or two without an update, there are way more old routers out there.
we know that you said it 5 or 6 times now. that patch was for a display bug. when was the last security patch.
also You still dont "get it". Tp-link will never patch their built in backdoor that other chinese state sponsored hacker groups will use to load
malicious firmware onto your router.. even if it didn't have any unpatched security issues.

You have clear lack of understanding(head really deep in the sand) on the "how" people get hacked.
Its not "I have security lights, an alarm, and a steel door" they will hit an easier target.

If its bad luck that your IP address was automatically scanned by automated systems and infiltrated thats it.
not " its easier to hack someone else they will start there"
that you keep saying.

Back