Router Recommendations

It has been a messy few days.
Spectrum internet went out.
Since we stream, that also meant no TV.
Mrs. Tdbo unhappy. Guess how that goes.
Three techs told me that it was their issue, and we needed a tech out to the house.
We finally got internet and TV because I took a trial out on a T Mobile pod.
Back to the story. Finally got a tech that knew what he was doing, adjusted signal, and found out that my Router crapped.
Motorola AC2600 lasted 13 months. It is still under warranty, but I want to get this rectified PDQ because nothing is working right.
I'll warranty the Motorola but I need a router like yesterday.
Looking at Amazon because we have prime.
Need recommendations for Routers. Budget: $150 or less.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Motorola MG7550
That is a cable modem and wifi router in one box (aka Home Gateway). These do not give you as much control of your network as using a two-box system. You may own the box, but the cable company controls the firmware. Only the most basic of networking functions are supported. Though for many home users this is entirely adequate.

Would they charge extra to replace their modem / landline box with a modem / landline / wifi gateway box?

Last edited:
Would they charge extra to replace their modem / landline box with a modem / landline / wifi gateway box?

They will rent a router for $60/year. Modem is no additional charge.
I'd rather own, although it didn't work well this go around.

Sure works good for me! :)

Depending on your plan's speed, it may not be enough. I had a 8x4 modem I replaced with a 32x4 modem because the 8x4 topped out at 280mbps but my plan was upgraded (for "free") to 400mbps.

I use a separate router (Mikrotik) and access points (TP-Link and D-link) because my cable modem and router are mounted on a plywood backboard in the basement.

Have been surfing, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of choices available as there was in the past.
This seems to be well reviewed. I can get it through prime, and our local Best Buy has it in stock, plus I can get an additional 15% off for trading an old router in. Any experience with this one:

No experience with that model in particular; but I'm on my 2nd ASUS router & I can't complain about them. I just picked up the RT-AX86U Pro and my SpeedTest numbers jumped 10X from my old 2013 ASUS router.

I'd say get as long as it's WiFi 6, either ASUS or TP-Link will work well.

I bought this one when I cut the Comcast cable TV programming and went streaming. It's been solid since March.
Limited-time deal: TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) -Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control, QoS https://a.co/d/fsR3eaQ

Since you're in Ohio, if you're near a Microcenter.... .

I'm about as far away from Microcenter as I am Best Buy.
Got on their site and looked last night.
They have an even worse selection than Amazon or BB.
Guess we will go with BB, since we are meeting some friends this afternoon, and have to go past the one in Polaris anyway (and they are 15% less than Amazon.)
Should that not pan out, I'll order it prime tonight.

I should also qualify that it's connected to this modem:
Motorola MB7621 Cable Modem | Pairs with Any WiFi Router | Approved by Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Spectrum | for Cable Plans Up to 900 Mbps | DOCSIS 3.0 https://a.co/d/1auh3VC

And I get Xfinity 800Mbps service. Coverage is one floor plus some outside pool area use. It works excellent for streaming to a Roku TV plus a few tablets, a camera, thermostat and assorted phones.
I figure if you even cut the reviews on Amazon by 50%...it's still a good buy.

Spectrum is the worst - when I went from 100Mbps to 400Mbps service it took 2 1/2 weeks, several modems being sent and returned, and lots of promises about service being on the next day. I learned a whole lot about "provisioning" within that company and I learned of the 11 phone reps I spoke to only ONE of them had ANY clue. The other 10 literally did not know what was involved in changing service from 100Mbps to 400Mbps. None of them could problem-solve in any way. None of them read previous notes about what was said, tried or done. None of them left notes of any value. It was actually quite comical and sad.

Good luck!

I highly recommend getting this TP-Link router. We purchased one in April 2023 and it increased our throughput tremendously over the 5 y/o Motorola unit we previously had, while also increasing the range. It is Amazon's best selling router for a reason and with the discount, $70 is a steal.

Screenshot 2023-07-16 8.18.15 AM.png

Back