Rotella T6 10-30

I was looking more at the viscosity numbers they posted.
I wish you said that initially, I had the SDS pulled up. I'll go get them again. It's all on the Shell server.

What oil are you currently running? Are you seeing low oil pressure or just imagining its inadequate? The KV100 viscosity is not really the indicator of "better", as @kschachn mentioned, the HTHS is what you might look to for HD high stress applications, this is assuming the DP/AW additive package is same/similar.

#OLEJOE you are correct this is incorrect data, solid SAE 40 grade KV100 and a15W CCS test temp.

rotella T6.jpg

AFAIK, there is no T6 10W-30 - there is T6 15W-40; and T5 10W-30 that is a synthetic blend.
It's listed on the US server.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 095148.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-05 095233.jpg

Last edited:
I wish you said that initially, I had the SDS pulled up. I'll go get them again. It's all on the Shell server.

What oil are you currently running? Are you seeing low oil pressure or just imagining its inadequate? The KV100 viscosity is not really the indicator of "better", as @kschachn mentioned, the HTHS is what you might look to for HD high stress applications, this is assuming the DP/AW additive package is same/similar.

#OLEJOE you are correct this is incorrect data, solid SAE 40 grade KV100 and a15W CCS test temp.

View attachment 206765

It's listed on the US server.

View attachment 206769

View attachment 206770
That is what I was asking about when I started this thread. It’s hard to find but if you look up the T6 15-40 it’s the same. I was going to try to contact Shell to see if they actually had the right information.

Im not having any problems at the moment. Some people are having valve train issues. Some it’s the lifters and cam. Some are having rocker problems. Some are having DPF issues. I’ve been using T6 5-40 and was thinking about switching to VPBE because it has a little better NOACK volatility rating. I just found the available information about the T6 10-30 suspicious.

The kv 40 is the main part I have to stay away from with Ram/Cummins saying not to use 15-40.

Last edited:
I have a 22 Ram 2500 and being that I visit here on BITOG I am continuously looking for a better oil for my truck. I’ve been looking at the R T6 10-30 and the specs that they (Shell) have posted on their website is the same exact specs as R T6 15-40. Does anyone have any insight as to what the real specs are for the 10-30 ? TIA

As pointed out there is no T6 10w30. I’ve only saw T5 10w30. Send us a link to this T6 10w30 please

As pointed out there is no T6 10w30. I’ve only saw T5 10w30. Send us a link to this T6 10w30 please
I included an Amazon link to it in my post...

But here it is direct from Shell:

This oil has a Flash Point of 480 Degree's Fahrenheit, that is amazing. The T5 10W-30 only has a Flash Point of 437 Degree's Fahrenheit. Whether that means anything or not, I would want to see a VOA of this new T6 10W-30

This oil has a Flash Point of 480 Degree's Fahrenheit, that is amazing. The T5 10W-30 only has a Flash Point of 437 Degree's Fahrenheit. Whether that means anything or not, I would want to see a VOA of this new T6 10W-30
That will come in handy if your oil is ever in danger of igniting in the presence of a flame :)

Huh, interesting.
It is probably a full-synthetic straight-30 that meets the 10W rating as well. I’d imagine it is very shear stable!
The CT store I work at just started carrying the T6 15W-40, that would also be a very stable oil.

I included an Amazon link to it in my post...

But here it is direct from Shell:

Then I stand corrected sir

No, that would be because 15W-40 is often a mineral oil, and they want you to use a synthetic or blend.
Why didn’t they just say synthetic oil only and not say no 15-40. I would be more than happy to comply. There are several good synthetic 15-40’s available.

Why didn’t they just say synthetic oil only and not say no 15-40. I would be more than happy to comply. There are several good synthetic 15-40’s available.
Because it is a very poorly worded and contrived stipulation that they apparently thought would appeal to the greatest number of consumers.

If you read what they’re actually after, then you’ll see that what he said is correct.

Because it is a very poorly worded and contrived stipulation that they apparently thought would appeal to the greatest number of consumers.

If you read what they’re actually after, then you’ll see that what he said is correct.
It looks like what they are after is for everyone who is able because of the temperature requirement to run 10-30. There was no stipulation that the 10-30 had to be synthetic or even a blend while a 15-40 was causing deposits in the hydraulic lifters. I guess the thinner 10-30 cleans better than the thicker 15-40. FCA/Stellantis has already done the oil juggling act on the Ecodiesel until they finally did away with it. I guess they (Cummins or Ram) decided they needed hydraulic lifters to help quieten it down some but still have to cut it off in the drive throughs.

Its 3 gallons for $74.94. The 2022 manual even references Shell Rotella 10w30.

1709687709423.jpg

1709687469773.jpg

Back