Rotella T6 10-30

I have a 22 Ram 2500 and being that I visit here on BITOG I am continuously looking for a better oil for my truck. I’ve been looking at the R T6 10-30 and the specs that they (Shell) have posted on their website is the same exact specs as R T6 15-40. Does anyone have any insight as to what the real specs are for the 10-30 ? TIA

I have a 22 Ram 2500 and being that I visit here on BITOG I am continuously looking for a better oil for my truck. I’ve been looking at the R T6 10-30 and the specs that they (Shell) have posted on their website is the same exact specs as R T6 15-40. Does anyone have any insight as to what the real specs are for the 10-30 ? TIA
T6 10w30.jpg

If you are looking for a better oil for your truck, give HPL a call, because the way things are going with Shell Rotella, it is only good in a Lawnmower Engine as long as the specs meet CK-4

And before anyone says something dumb, realize the OP did say better.

I was looking more at the viscosity numbers they posted.
Since by definition 10W-30 vicosity numbers can not be the same as 15W-30. Possibly they posted the wrong specs, or your looking at the same sheet.

What specific to viscosity are you looking for. Its either a 30 weight or it isn't. If your looking for a "thick" 30, just go to 40.

Since by definition 10W-30 vicosity numbers can not be the same as 15W-30. Possibly they posted the wrong specs, or your looking at the same sheet.

What specific to viscosity are you looking for. Its either a 30 weight or it isn't. If your looking for a "thick" 30, just go to 40.
I would like to but there are no 10-40’s. I double checked to make sure I was looking at the correct one and @AirBull mentioned it in one of his posts in an earlier thread. It shows 100*Ccst 14.7 and 40*Ccst 103.8. Pretty close to a 10-40. And exactly what the numbers are for R T6 15-40.

I would like to but there are no 10-40’s. I double checked to make sure I was looking at the correct one and @AirBull mentioned it in one of his posts in an earlier thread. It shows 100*Ccst 14.7 and 40*Ccst 103.8. Pretty close to a 10-40. And exactly what the numbers are for R T6 15-40.
What specification does your owner's manual give? One of the Cummins ones highlighted in that picture above?

If so, then that specification gives a minimum HT/HS of 3.5, so either a 30-grade or a 40-grade can have that HT/HS. I don't see any limitation on the winter rating, so aren't there any 5W-40 oils that carry the proper Cummins specification?

I wouldn't concern myself with viscosity when the HT/HS is far more accurate, and is controlled by the Cummins spec.

What specification does your owner's manual give? One of the Cummins ones highlighted in that picture above?

If so, then that specification gives a minimum HT/HS of 3.5, so either a 30-grade or a 40-grade can have that HT/HS. I don't see any limitation on the winter rating, so aren't there any 5W-40 oils that carry the proper Cummins specification?

I wouldn't concern myself with viscosity when the HT/HS is far more accurate, and is controlled by the Cummins spec.
Yes there are lots of 5-40’s that carry the Cummins spec. Im never in temps below 0 but in temps above 100 towing thus why I would rather use a 40 grade oil. 15-40 is not allowed.

Yes there are lots of 5-40’s that carry the Cummins spec. Im never in temps below 0 but in temps above 100 towing thus why I would rather use a 40 grade oil. 15-40 is not allowed.
In your conditions the winter rating is essentially irrelevant. Find a good 5W-40 and you’re set.

That begs the question though as to the title of this thread if you wanted a 40-grade all along.

I was mainly curious about the viscosity numbers that Shell published in their advertisements about the T6 10-30. Since Shell and Mopar are coconspirators in the latest lubricant specs for the 19+ 6.7’s, I was wondering if they were trying to slip a 10-40 in as a 10-30. Just like the unicorn wee wee that they spec for the 6.4 Hemi.

I was mainly curious about the viscosity numbers that Shell published in their advertisements about the T6 10-30. Since Shell and Mopar are coconspirators in the latest lubricant specs for the 19+ 6.7’s, I was wondering if they were trying to slip a 10-40 in as a 10-30. Just like the unicorn wee wee that they spec for the 6.4 Hemi.
Nobody slips in anything. Think about that, is the blender lying about the SAE grade? Good luck on that with the API (and the Cummins approval for that matter).

More likely an error. But also remember that the PDS is a sheet of typical values and not indicative of any particlar batch or lot. Some blenders only repost what the license requires. But here it looks like an error.

And unicorn wee wee? It might be better if you state what you think is deficient.

Nobody slips in anything. Think about that, is the blender lying about the SAE grade? Good luck on that with the API (and the Cummins approval for that matter).

More likely an error. But also remember that the PDS is a sheet of typical values and not indicative of any particlar batch or lot. Some blenders only repost what the license requires. But here it looks like an error.

And unicorn wee wee? It might be better if you state what you think is deficient.
The ability to find it on the shelf anywhere. I did find an extra quart that I needed at NAPA for $14.50 with tax.

If you are looking for a better oil for your truck, give HPL a call, because the way things are going with Shell Rotella, it is only good in a Lawnmower Engine as long as the specs meet CK-4

And before anyone says something dumb, realize the OP did say better.
HPL HDEO is listed for CK-4 too, no?

Back