Roof quote

One quote was $700 a square. I think 35.5 squares

I am having trouble getting the roofing companies to understand the proper way to flash a stucco wall to asphalt roof.

It was clearly not done this way when the house was built.
That siding repair will likely need a gen contractor to do that and possibly a repaint. Unless you are contracting a "siding and roofing Company.

Here we go again trying to dictate what someone makes and charges. Try performaing roofing work yourself and then repost. General liability for roofers is the highest insurance category. Dump fee's for roofing material is the most expensive to get rid of.

Use your home owners to scam a new roof? Its not intended to be a home warranty. Many homeowners in FL did that after storms and that is what has driven up our rates. In FL insurance will give you 10 maybe 15 yrs on a shingle roof. Thats it. Tile roofs max of 20 because the underlayment and fastners fail.

If you have a roof in that age bracket, man or woman up and pay for it. Your rates will certainly go down.

TH

Your $20,000 quote may be reasonable assuming you're using Owens Corning Duration shingles. I've contracted to have my roof replaced for $25,300 after 21 years using a Certainteed master installer. Roof is about 50 squares with medium complexity for a 1.5 story home, 3,460 square feet. I opted for a "Fortified" roof due to the waterfront location in NC, using Certainteed Landmark Pro architectural shingles, Certainteed synthetic underlayment, stainless steel roofing nails and other upgrades in materials and installation techniques. My logic: I've already had one $1,200 repair near a valley where the plywood rotted and now I have another suspect area just like it. Original owners, we may keep the home for 5-6 years. I'd rather shell out money for a new roof now and enjoy the security and peace of mind for 5 years compared to waiting until selling time and having potential buyers ding me for replacing the roof for them. Like the Fram commercial said, pay me now or pay me later. Prices later will only be higher. I got three other quotes ranging from $24,000 to $30,000. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Here we go again trying to dictate what someone makes and charges. Try performaing roofing work yourself and then repost. General liability for roofers is the highest insurance category. Dump fee's for roofing material is the most expensive to get rid of.

Use your home owners to scam a new roof? Its not intended to be a home warranty. Many homeowners in FL did that after storms and that is what has driven up our rates. In FL insurance will give you 10 maybe 15 yrs on a shingle roof. Thats it. Tile roofs max of 20 because the underlayment and fastners fail.

If you have a roof in that age bracket, man or woman up and pay for it. Your rates will certainly go down.

TH
No dictating. Instead professional engineer(s) making a conservative estimate then seeing quotes 2x.

That's just gouging and again up here the Contractors just sub out green card immigrants then scoop up 1/2 the contract price. The most I have witnessed them do is quote the job do a materials pallet drop and do some sub management.

TH
Any idea how long before the insurance company will require replacing a standing seam metal roof?

This is why all houses should ideally have a roof with 2 sides and nothing else.
I would never own a house I can’t put my own roof on.

It never leaks, any hillbilly can easily diy and if you have the unfortunate life ending experience of having to pay someone it should be done in a few hours and cost 1/4 of what happens when there are other “unnecessary features “ that act only as leak points

If you think a roof is bad my mom needs an enclosed 15x20 attached deck raised (that should have never been there)
Nobody will touch it and want $100,000 if they will for something that will take a few hours to deal with if you have proper equipment all for a house worth $50000.

If you don’t do your own work it’s worse than going to a car dealership.

Based on an experience I had with my office building, metal roofs depending on galvanized or aluminum, etc will get you 25 yrs too. I replaced the tile on my building with shingle because I saw no value for me to carry to added expense.

I was talking to a very knowledgeable guy about flashings. He makes custom copper flashings for million dollar houses.

He explained when they build a house these days the roofer installs the roof with step flashing against walls that meet the roof. The guy installing fax stucco installs the faux stucco over the step flashing.

Twenty years later when you need a new roof the way the step flashing was installed behind the stucco makes it difficult without doing a lot of extra work around the stucco. With wood siding you can lift the wood siding a little and slip new step flashing behind the shingles. Not so with stucco.

I just got an estimate for $96K and they were not going to do the anything with the stucco. They wanted to pull off the old shingles leaving the current step flashing in place. Applying ice & snow shield over the the step flashing then installing the shingles over the ice & snow shield. That's not how you install step flashing and shingles.

One roof & stucco joint is currently caulked with a 1" wide bead of caulking. The way they want to do the roof they won't figure out what the problem is with the current joint that is caulked.

Maybe this is a quote where they don't want to do the roof but it seems like they want the job.

Plus a lot of insurance companies will not insure a home if the roof is over 20 years old...or they will but you will pay a high price and the roof would not be covered because of its age...
Yet another scam/racket…

$20K for a ~36sq roof in DE is a good price these days (like it or not). If you needed the whole thing re-sheeted, it would probably add $5-7K.

You're not going to find a better price than that, unless you go Amish or work a cash deal with someone.
So the roofer can pay illegals, and drive around in a fancy done up truck. It’s a real sham.

Problem is, not many folks want to go up on their roof, let alone walk it and work up there. I get that part of it.

If these insurance companies are mandating 15 years, it probably makes sense to use the cheapest name brand shingles possible, since it’s dubious to me that in most climates they won’t last if installed properly. I have outbuildings with way older roofs.

Your $20,000 quote may be reasonable assuming you're using Owens Corning Duration shingles. I've contracted to have my roof replaced for $25,300 after 21 years using a Certainteed master installer. Roof is about 50 squares with medium complexity for a 1.5 story home, 3,460 square feet. I opted for a "Fortified" roof due to the waterfront location in NC, using Certainteed Landmark Pro architectural shingles, Certainteed synthetic underlayment, stainless steel roofing nails and other upgrades in materials and installation techniques. My logic: I've already had one $1,200 repair near a valley where the plywood rotted and now I have another suspect area just like it. Original owners, we may keep the home for 5-6 years. I'd rather shell out money for a new roof now and enjoy the security and peace of mind for 5 years compared to waiting until selling time and having potential buyers ding me for replacing the roof for them. Like the Fram commercial said, pay me now or pay me later. Prices later will only be higher. I got three other quotes ranging from $24,000 to $30,000. Good luck with your project.
Im wondering, maybe you can update your home insurance company that you have installed a new roof. You may get a discount as this is a big item with home insurance and roofs. I think worth a call.

This is why all houses should ideally have a roof with 2 sides and nothing else.
I would never own a house I can’t put my own roof on.

It never leaks, any hillbilly can easily diy and if you have the unfortunate life ending experience of having to pay someone it should be done in a few hours and cost 1/4 of what happens when there are other “unnecessary features “ that act only as leak points

If you think a roof is bad my mom needs an enclosed 15x20 attached deck raised (that should have never been there)
Nobody will touch it and want $100,000 if they will for something that will take a few hours to deal with if you have proper equipment all for a house worth $50000.

If you don’t do your own work it’s worse than going to a car dealership.
My ex bil and I put a roof on my old house. We had a little help on day 1 with tear off and we replaced about 3 sheets of plywood. It was a 2 sided roof - thank heavens. I have never in my life been that tired. We started on a Friday, and worked until Saturday well into the dark before we tapped out. I had to cap it on Sunday. I was so exhausted that I yarked over the side of the house a couple of times while capping it.

I pray that I never have to do another roof. Mad respect for people that do that job every day after I did that.

My ex bil and I put a roof on my old house. We had a little help on day 1 with tear off and we replaced about 3 sheets of plywood. It was a 2 sided roof - thank heavens. I have never in my life been that tired. We started on a Friday, and worked until Saturday well into the dark before we tapped out. I had to cap it on Sunday. I was so exhausted that I yarked over the side of the house a couple of times while capping it.

I pray that I never have to do another roof. Mad respect for people that do that job every day after I did that.
My father and myself did the roof in 4 days (2 weekends) thankfully dry the whole time, used ondura instead of steel because of its diy nature , would never do asphalt tear down replace given how mediocre they have gotten (some houses start leaking at year 5)

Here we go again trying to dictate what someone makes and charges. Try performing roofing work yourself and then repost.
I've done it, I re-roofed my fathers house after a FL hurricane, it took me about 3 weeks. Roofing is not rocket science and shingles are fairly easy to lay out. Today we have totally waterproof peel-n-stick underlayment, such as Sharkskin Ultra that a semi-skilled team can install on a typical 3 bedroom house in something like 3 hours. After that, the home is waterproof and shingles laid out and nailed down.

I don't make any claims my job was perfect, but it looked really good and I was probably more careful than the drunks that did the roof the first time.

3 weeks worth of work for one guy
Few thousand dollars of roofing, nails, supplies and chalk line
Savings, $20K.

I will give a plug to a roof inspection company that has answered my emails.

www.roofkey.com

Their website is a filled with details of best ways to install a roof. Including flashing details.

The company is in Colorado so I cannot hire them with me being in DE.

Back