Roof quote

Ok. So finally a roofing company came out who I thinks has experience with roof to stucco joints and is providing an estimate.

Most roofing companies will say anything about how they would handle the roof to stucco joints to get the business.

Some say you can do it differently on a replacement roof vs a new roof. You cannot.

The key is once the roof to stucco joints is flashed properly, you can replace the roof or the stucco wall without disturbing the other.

A quick look at other homes in my small development shows none are flashed properly. And these 25 homes were built by different builders and all look different. Not a cookie cutter housing development.

Keep us posted on additional quotes, I knew prices were getting up there, one of the reasons we decided to sell when we did. I suspect we would have that same quote. The roof and other systems of the house, 2 HVAC units, kitchen, baths, flooring, appliances were all 16 years old and why we sold last year and moved to another new home instead of pouring money into a home we would be selling in a few years anyway, which this time is our new retirement home on the coast as of 1 year ago 2023.
Old home sold first weekend above asking, multiple offers, highest in the area, it was in like new condition for a 3000 sq ft 16 year old house. But all the above were getting close to replacement... and your post makes me feel like I really did just save $20,000 on just the roof alone.

View attachment 213570
Wow! Pretty much the exact same scenario for me this past Oct. 100% agree, it was the best call even though new mortgage is higher than the old one, at least I’m worry free in terms of big ticket items

FWIW; few different sheister company’s came thru my ~16 year old neighborhood in ‘22-‘23. Redid ~50/100 roofs. All had the same pitch; ~ “you need a new roof/gutters”. [how much?] “as much as we can get from your insurance company plus your deductible”

I think we’re all gonna pay for this racket thru higher rates, even if we didn’t partake

Reactions: JTK
So I have now had several quotes. While the RoofScope tells how many squares the roof is it does not tell you what to use as a waste factor. So with a complex roof the guys doing the estimates are telling me 15% waste.

And then there is the stucco part of an estimate. That's more $$ than I expected. And unlike replacing a roof which is pretty cut & dry, cutting away stucco for new step flashing and then re-doing the stucco so it looks like one stucco section all the same rather than a section where the stucco was patched may be more of an art.

So I have several quotes and am going to go with one of the two quotes where people I know in the construction business recommend the roofing company. Rather than the reviews I can find on the web.

Next decision is do I go with GAF HDX or GAF Ultra HDX shingles. And there are a few grades of all the roof components from ice & snow to the synthetic roof deck barrier to starter shingles, cap shingles and a ridge vent. It looks to be a few thousand for upgrades of the shingles and the other roof components. Still not the top of the line. But trying to go with the grade above the ones listed as "cost effective".

However things have changed over the years. No one is using the old roll of tar paper. Now it's synthetic.

And if you use all of mostly all GAF roofing products then you get a longer GAF warranty.

So I have several quotes and am going to go with one of the two quotes where people I know in the construction business recommend the roofing company. Rather than the reviews I can find on the web.

Next decision is do I go with GAF HDX or GAF Ultra HDX shingles. And there are a few grades of all the roof components from ice & snow to the synthetic roof deck barrier to starter shingles, cap shingles and a ridge vent. It looks to be a few thousand for upgrades of the shingles and the other roof components. Still not the top of the line. But trying to go with the grade above the ones listed as "cost effective".

However things have changed over the years. No one is using the old roll of tar paper. Now it's synthetic.

And if you use all of mostly all GAF roofing products then you get a longer GAF warranty.
My experience with a GAF certified installer in 2016 was I had to use the full GAF supplied product line for the whole install, including the valley under course and the drip edge where the gutter attaches, or the full factory GAF warranty was invalid, the warranty instead was backed solely by the installer for restitution. It would not be backed by GAF unless the actual shingle failed. That rarely happens.

My experience was the GAF valley and edge products were so superior to the old tar paper that you want to go with the full GAF system. It is worth it.

FWIW; few different sheister company’s came thru my ~16 year old neighborhood in ‘22-‘23. Redid ~50/100 roofs. All had the same pitch; ~ “you need a new roof/gutters”. [how much?] “as much as we can get from your insurance company plus your deductible”

I think we’re all gonna pay for this racket thru higher rates, even if we didn’t partake
This was the exact scenario in Florida, and rates are still climbing from that scheme.

Back