Roof question...

Ws6

These are photos of some of my shingles. I tried to pick the worst. How many more years (any?) Are left for this roof, barring extreme weather events? It has no functional issue at present. It is 17 years old currently.

20230810_090329.jpg

20230810_090010.jpg

20230810_090307.jpg

20230810_085946.jpg

20230810_085902.jpg

Less than 5 years.

Ironic.

I have been eyeballing my roof the last week. I knew a few years ago that we were on borrowed time. I made a list of 10 roof contractors today and called them. I will have some good info by the end of the week. It's amazing how quick they respond to inquiries about quotes.

If you have a hail storm and roofing companies show up at your door and ask to evaluate your roof, let them. I made the mistake of holding off but seven of my neighbors got new roofs negotiated with their respective insurance companies and these roofing guys. I thought I knew what I was doing by waiting for my insurance company’s assigned agent to inspect. He said “there’s not enough damage to warrant a replacement”. I screwed myself out of a roof….

About five years. You have no curling so you are good for now. Check your gutters for gravel and clean them out. Mine is a little worse and older than yours. A new roof is on the agenda for next year.

It's difficult to guess without seeing everything, including all penetrations and from within the attic space.

It could go another 12yrs before you have a leak or it could go 4 before plywood starts getting damp.

Assuming these were 30yr shingles, in many parts of the country this means you need a replacement at around 15-17.

By eye balling those shingles they will be toast by the 20 year mark.
which falls in line with 25 to 30 year rated shingles.
once they get to the point where your shingles are at they degrade quickly.

I'd say 5 years is a good estimate at this point.

Pictures taken the day before my new roof was put on in 2019... Don't be me and wait as long as I did.

1692050651823.png

1692050755819.png

It's difficult to guess without seeing everything, including all penetrations and from within the attic space.

It could go another 12yrs before you have a leak or it could go 4 before plywood starts getting damp.

Assuming these were 30yr shingles, in many parts of the country this means you need a replacement at around 15-17.
Ply wood is mint fresh. 1 penetration prior to 2017. I fixed it. No more.

Less than 5 years.

Ironic.

I have been eyeballing my roof the last week. I knew a few years ago that we were on borrowed time. I made a list of 10 roof contractors today and called them. I will have some good info by the end of the week. It's amazing how quick they respond to inquiries about quotes.
you will be shocked on how much a new roof costs now...I was back in April when I got my new roof after 21 years on the old 3 tab shingle roof...

Back