RIP 2012 Hyundai Sonata engine 101k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
I got the information from several threads on Hyundaiforums.com. There were a few Hyundai techs posting in there that have been doing a lot of the engine replacements. They don't seem to think the problem is over exaggerated or that Hyundai's story about the machining debris has any truth to it. I made a post on here asking about this issue and someone here posted a link.

Always had a suspicion the shavings bit was a PR red herring, the logistics behind that is a bit of a stretch. Would bet it's really metallurgy or surface-treatment related. Did those techs say why they would think it's not 'shavings'?

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hope the engine replacement works out for you. Crazy -- Hyundai motors with less than 100,000 miles shot!! How many Honda and Toyota motors do you ever hear about on that??? Heck, my Acura is just broken in I feel with 103,xxx miles. LOL

Dale

plenty of cracked blocks in the R18 used in the 06-11 Civic

So nada that one
wink.gif

Hope the engine replacement works out for you. Crazy -- Hyundai motors with less than 100,000 miles shot!! How many Honda and Toyota motors do you ever hear about on that??? Heck, my Acura is just broken in I feel with 103,xxx miles. LOL

Dale

Don't get too cocky, if you do a search you'll find a number of threads on here with TL owners getting ring jobs and engine replacements a lot sooner than 100k.

All manufacturers turn out a few turkeys.

Originally Posted By: wemay
OP, sorry to hear and hopefully Hyundai takes care of this for you.

2011-2014
Recall for metal shavings left during engine machining process at Alabama plant. If you took your car in, they'd check and replace engine if necessary. Along with that, all vins identified as having possible issue get 120,000 mile engine warranty. As in all these threads, people (some) have a tendency to knee-jerk opinions. I have close to 100k on my wife's Santa Fe Sport, same engine, not a single issue. But that last sentance is just as anecdotal. Forums always magnify issues.

This manufacturing issue also hit the Kia 2.0T and 2.4L engines made in the Alabama plant in the 2011 to 2013 model years. For Kia at least, they now have a 15 year warranty and UNLIMITED mileage for ANY owners (1st, 2nd, etc.) and the replacement engine (full long block) is from the upgraded 2015 MY engine. There are various improvements including stronger rods. My own '12 is on the list and I'm pretty happy about it as I now have any unlimited mileage engine warranty and I'm running strong as ever (and I'm tuned). The machining issue should have only affected ~2% of the engines built (unofficial estimates put it at under 10%) but combined with owners who didn't change their oil correctly (these GDI engines have fuel dilution issues that don't seem to affect the wear metals but make tons of sludge which causes all manner of problems if the owner neglects the oil) and the early 2.0T engines having not as strong a connecting rod as they should have for the power/boost they were making caused a larger number of catastrophic failures. Still covered under this safety recall (SC147 for Kia).

They do provide a rental car and they will reimburse any owner who paid to have their engine replaced prior to the recall. They do have issues with back-ordered engines given the numbers sold.

Last edited:
Hopefully you arent sticking with Honda 1.5 turbo engines that have ridiculous fuel dilution issues, or you may find yourself behind the wheel of a Hyundai rental while your Honda engine is being replaced sometime in the future....
grin.gif

I have never bought this 'metal shavings leftover from engine machining' reason. This is a material/design issue, I'd bet my dog and a chocolate donut on that. Every manufacturer puts out problem engines/transmission/etc here and there. Hyundai seems to be stepping up and taking care of people experiencing problems and I give them credit for that.

You stick to your Hyundai and I will stick to my Honda engines!!!
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
Will do. But i like Honda too.
whistle.gif

I was serious when I wrote above that maybe I should shop Hyundai/Kia when I next buy a new car.
Aside from very attractive real retail pricing, this maker appears ready to put its money where its mouth is and really stand behind its products, which cannot be said of the sainted Japanese and German brands.
Not many makers are going to comp an owner a new engine after 101K.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I was serious when I wrote above that maybe I should shop Hyundai/Kia when I next buy a new car.
Aside from very attractive real retail pricing, this maker appears ready to put its money where its mouth is and really stand behind its products, which cannot be said of the sainted Japanese and German brands.
Not many makers are going to comp an owner a new engine after 101K.

I think in a Toyota->Scion move (I thought the most owners where older not the younger initially planned), a lot of Kia Soul owners are older.....
It's just a taller floor hatch...
and the cheapest used new vehicle in it's class

P.S.apologize for calling you old. I was merely thinking about useful vehicle....

Last edited:
Hyundai is stepping up because this is a widespread issue. They have no choice unless they want their brand image to plummet. Like Honda had to step up when their generation of high transmission failure rates became widespread and obvious. They did not step up out of kindness.

The real test comes when you have a vehicle that has flaws that are not widespread. In these cases the manufacturer and dealer do their best to avoid helping the customer. We had a 2009 Sonata with a few unusual problems. They were never resolved. Two out of three serious issues weren't even acknowledged.

But I don't expect Honda would be any more helpful than Hyundai. I have first hand accounts from Honda owners who were mistreated by the dealers whom they bought their vehicles from new, and had the vehicles fully serviced by that dealer.

Here in South Florida, the Hyundai's are known for early failures. It's generally chalked up to the heat, but the above posts in this thread mirror what we see. 100K miles is about it for many Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Hyundai is stepping up because this is a widespread issue. They have no choice unless they want their brand image to plummet. Like Honda had to step up when their generation of high transmission failure rates became widespread and obvious. They did not step up out of kindness.

The real test comes when you have a vehicle that has flaws that are not widespread. In these cases the manufacturer and dealer do their best to avoid helping the customer. We had a 2009 Sonata with a few unusual problems. They were never resolved. Two out of three serious issues weren't even acknowledged.

But I don't expect Honda would be any more helpful than Hyundai. I have first hand accounts from Honda owners who were mistreated by the dealers whom they bought their vehicles from new, and had the vehicles fully serviced by that dealer.

I don't think its Hyundai stepping up. I think that the government forced them to a do a recall on the engine failures, because its a safety issue when a engine comes to a dead stall, and throw a rod, especially traveling at speed.

Meanwhile my neighbor's Kia Optima 2.4 GDi keeps going at well over 200k miles on the cheapest bulk with unkown filters he can find. I also see hundreds of YF (2010-14) body style Sonata on the roads of South Florida.

Hyundai vehicle's... build quality, service and reliability have been fantastic in my experience. My neighbor agrees regarding his Kia.

My girlfriend's 2013 Sonata with the 2.4 turns the oil black immediately after an oil change and the oil reeks of gas because she does mainly very short trips. I think this is part of why there are so many of them now failing, whether you are willing to admit it's a problem or not.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
My girlfriend's 2013 Sonata with the 2.4 turns the oil black immediately after an oil change and the oil reeks of gas because she does mainly very short trips. I think this is part of why there are so many of them now failing, whether you are willing to admit it's a problem or not.

These engines generate soot of sorts, and turns the oil black fairly quickly.

I was able to get rid of the fuel smell by doing 2 years of 3750 oil changes with decent oil.

Just changed oil in mine yesterday it no longer smells like fuel

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I didn't think the turbo engines were included in the Hyundai/Kia extended warranty. I thought it was only the 2.4L engines.

I believe they were included. My friends 2.0T was just replaced under that warranty by Hyundai. It locked up on the highway and left her stranded in a no cell signal area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back