Right of ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to make things even better, in IL, having the green light doesn't mean you have ROW:

A driver must yield the right of way to other drivers or pedestrians:
• Even after the light turns green when there are vehicles in the intersection.

Originally Posted By: opus1
And to make things even better, in IL, having the green light doesn't mean you have ROW:

A driver must yield the right of way to other drivers or pedestrians:
• Even after the light turns green when there are vehicles in the intersection.

That's generally the rule. You must yield to traffic in the intersection... those late yellow/red light runners or general traffic congestion. Though some intersections will have warnings not to "block the box". Driving is a cooperative experience and must be done defensively regardless.

These idiots know exactly what they are doing. They know people going straight have the right of way, but they don't want to wait their turn, so they gun it and fly out in front of every one. Same thing with people turning left on a green arrow. Sometimes I will count how many cars go through the intersection while turning left AFTER I have a green light (which means their light is red)...I have counted as many as five cars going through on a red light...drivers now days only care about themselves...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
We always called it banging a left.
There were plenty of antiquated intersections in the Chicagoland area that hadn't been updated with turn arrows and the left turners would just back up forever. Had to have the first person in line bang a left and then maybe 3-4 more people go on orange/red to get the traffic moving at all. The most dangerous thing about banging a left was the cross traffic making lefts after they had gotten their red.

Yeah, sometimes you have to do what the OP is ranting about. Otherwise, a lot of people suffer.

The OP needs to chill -- don't gun it at the sight of green and you won't be in a near accident situation. It always helps to be vigilant at intersections, anyway.

Agreed, IMO they are nothing short of "jerks"or "idiots" who think the world revolves around them. Half the time their head is buried in their cell phones as well or they are blasting loud window rattling thumping rap bass at 100000 decibels, as if everyone within 20 blocks wants to listen to their %$#@#.

(The OP needs to chill -- don't gun it at the sight of green and you won't be in a near accident situation. It always helps to be vigilant at intersections, anyway}

The OP does not need to chill. This OP just pointed out what I often observe .. nothing more. BTW the only ones gunning it and jumping the light is the idiot making a left turn , when they know full well that the straight ahead traffic has the ROW. These jerks just think that laws don't apply to them or they just don't care.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I do not know if they are special snowflakes or if they are just extremely arrogant people with the "world revolves around me" attitude and if they have to break the law to make it happen, so be it. I suspect they are a bit of both.They have no patience and act like they are the only ones on the road. That is my observation of them. Just this week I was honked at while sitting at a red light waiting to turn right, a big truck to my left, so NO I am not going to creep out into traffic to see if I can safely turn right so the honker can get to starbuck or Burger King 30 seconds faster.LOL!!!

With the disparity in vehicle sizes today I'm a proponent of staggered white lines at certain intersections to facilitate right turns. Too often some dummy with a larger vehicle pulls up beside you, breaches the line and blocks your view - smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back