How do you feel about traffic scenarios (what crosses the line)

I feel irritated when someone on purpose, uses the right lane to pass everyone waiting to go straight or left, and then, end up blocking the right lane that has a right green arrow, because they have to choose a spot to get into the straight or left turn lane. Typically there will be 1-2 cars like the above, and now 15+ can't turn right, because the lane is blocked, even though said 15+ have a green right arrow.

This happens every single day in Phila., and imho an example of a society which has no controls in place. It totally reminds me of watching Fort Apache The Bronx, when it was just lawlessness.

In 2023, I get that nothing can be done, because honking a horn is not polite. I bet in 1980 it would not happen like above, there would be some disincentives for acting badly. :)

I feel irritated when someone on purpose, uses the right lane to pass everyone waiting to go straight or left, and then, end up blocking the right lane that has a right green arrow, because they have to choose a spot to get into the straight or left turn lane. Typically there will be 1-2 cars like the above, and now 15+ can't turn right, because the lane is blocked, even though said 15+ have a green right arrow.
That happens A LOT at the bottom of my street where it turns on to the main drag. The road is plenty wide enough for 3 lanes. A left turn lane that is striped, and marked as such. And 2 other lanes that are not striped, (but should be).

The bottom line is 3 pickups with towing mirrors can easily line up abreast at that intersection, because I've seen it happen. (One left turn, one straight, and one for right turns). But inevitably there will always be one clown who straddles both the right lanes, blocking everyone from being able to turn right on red.

I live in a smaller town that has some corner gas stations and strip malls. People will blow through a corner gas station or parking lot at high rates of speed to bypass a red light when making a right hand turn. I’m surprised more aren’t accidentally killed by people doing this. This is one of my major pet peeves. A few times I’ve waited at the light and turned right only to be narrowly missed by these people who half the time don’t even look.

Also, when there’s traffic on the highway people will exit on the ramp and immediately get back on the highway via the on-ramp. I get it - traffic is no fun but would you cut someone in line at the grocery store?

People who are following behind me with a slower 18 wheeler ahead of me on an on ramp on the highway. Instead of being patient and merging like a human should, they’ll cut over the next lane and try to cut everyone off so now it makes for an awkward merge for the the 18 wheeler. Sometimes they’ll just cross the thick line and cut across multiple lanes recklessly.

Last edited:
How about people flying through 55 MPH heavy traffic at 90+ & shooting through tiny openings in traffic, driving on the shoulder, almost causing 5 or 6 accidents? Happens all the time on I-75 here & Dayton…

People driving while using their cellphone, often handheld despite any laws, and never getting pulled over. I walk a lot and I observe the people driving toward me and probably 30% are actively looking at their phone and not the road. Police could literally stand on any street corner and ticket people all day if they wanted to bother. Yesterday some guy pulled out his phone in a Walmart parking lot at one of their stop signs and just stayed there texting or doing something stupid while a line of cars built up behind him. At least he was stopped! At any stoplight 50% of the time I can accelerate away from whomever is behind me because they are on their phone. On the highway I see their faces lit up at night as they do something on the phone.

How about people flying through 55 MPH heavy traffic at 90+ & shooting through tiny openings in traffic, driving on the shoulder, almost causing 5 or 6 accidents? Happens all the time on I-75 here & Dayton…
75 from around Troy down to around twenty miles south of the river is pretty bad. Lots of truly stupid driving, but also lots of trucks and a fair number of drunks and druggies. There are multiple accidents every day even in clear, dry weather.
I'm fortunate in being able to drive to work on Rt 4, avoiding 75 altogether. Wife was not so fortunate and was stuck with 75 every weekday. This was actually a factor in her retirement date, so bad did she find her commute.

Cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road (eg blowing through stop signs (which is routine around here)).

The worst cyclist's trick I've seen was while I was waiting to turn left in heavy traffic. When the light turned yellow and I finally got a (very short) chance to make the turn a cyclist suddenly came up from behind and rode across the crosswalk right in my path. I could easily have run him down. You wouldn't expect a walker to suddenly sprint into your path like that.

For those of you who hope having more cyclists will be the future, try walking in Amsterdam. The cyclists there rule the road and will cheerfully run a pedestrian down.

I understand the blocked right lane feeling, truly but I dont get upset in the slightest after all, its not a turning lane.
I am one of those who will pass everyone to make full use of the lane and go straight. ;)

They way you say it "on purpose" well, of course its on purpose, its just as much a straight lane as it is a turn lane.

Cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road (eg blowing through stop signs (which is routine around here)).

The worst cyclist's trick I've seen was while I was waiting to turn left in heavy traffic. When the light turned yellow and I finally got a (very short) chance to make the turn a cyclist suddenly came up from behind and rode across the crosswalk right in my path. I could easily have run him down. You wouldn't expect a walker to suddenly sprint into your path like that.

For those of you who hope having more cyclists will be the future, try walking in Amsterdam. The cyclists there rule the road and will cheerfully run a pedestrian down.
I ride my bike for exercise and I have to do it before people go to work etc or it’s dangerous. I will encounter joggers and walkers going right down the center of the road. One time a guy in a F150 going the opposite direction said get the **** off the road. You belong on the sidewalk. Hashtag ingnorant.

Another time going to church, at a light , it felt like someone tapped the car. There were 6 cyclists and one was leaning on my trunk.

All these factors are why I say society is not under control.

I understand the blocked right lane feeling, truly but I dont get upset in the slightest after all, its not a turning lane.
I am one of those who will pass everyone to make full use of the lane and go straight. ;)
Maybe I didn’t describe it, this is Montgomery and Belmont and the right lane is right turn only. People use it to go straight and left so they don’t have to wait. Same thing at the 341 exit on 76W. Long line to turn left and people drive fast up the right and blow the red light and go left. One time in 13 years I saw a phila PD pull someone over for that. What bad luck that driver had the chances are < 1%. I’ve seen a trooper waiting to turn left 3x when that happened they didn’t do anything. Not their jurisdiction I guess and they’re heading back to their barracks on Belmont.

Or maybe you are talking about this very intersection and disagree 😂

This happens every single day in Phila., and imho an example of a society which has no controls in place. It totally reminds me of watching Fort Apache The Bronx, when it was just lawlessness.

In 2023, I get that nothing can be done, because honking a horn is not polite. I bet in 1980 it would not happen like above, there would be some disincentives for acting badly. :)
If I am next in line behind them I will get within inches of them and stand on the horn. If they remain I will lower my window and give them a middle finger salute once I get past them. If I ever get a truck that has plenty of room in and around the engine compartment I'll install train horns and a PA system and use it to inform them in 3 seconds I will be going ballistic and run into them if they do not go on and turn right. Could be fun.

I hate this one busy intersection where there’s a green arrow, but the far right lane is right turn only, but the next is right or straight. It’s the eastbound direction here. I’ve been stuck in the second lane trying to make a right turn when someone is stopped waiting to go straight.

Last edited:
Maybe I didn’t describe it, this is Montgomery and Belmont and the right lane is right turn only. People use it to go straight and left so they don’t have to wait. Same thing at the 341 exit on 76W. Long line to turn left and people drive fast up the right and blow the red light and go left. One time in 13 years I saw a phila PD pull someone over for that. What bad luck that driver had the chances are < 1%. I’ve seen a trooper waiting to turn left 3x when that happened they didn’t do anything. Not their jurisdiction I guess and they’re heading back to their barracks on Belmont.

Or maybe you are talking about this very intersection and disagree 😂
Oh!!! I agree with what you describe!
Absolutely, you're talking about people violating the traffic laws. That would drive me nuts too, doesnt really happen here. People are respectful to an extreme where they wont even use the right lane to go straight when there is a combination turn/straight arrow to do so.
Im one to legally use that straight/turn arrow combination lane. Otherwise, wow, you would almost be shamed here *LOL*

When I see that happen down here, I say to my wife, "he must be from NY" ... (I'm a NY transplant myself but love and respect the friendly attitude here and behave myself)

They way you say it "on purpose" well, of course its on purpose, its just as much a straight lane as it is a turn lane.
Yes, those who are rude and inconsiderate and "better" than anyone else so they shouldn't need to be thoughtful and share the road. After all, the road is there just for them and anyone else better be glad they deign to allow them usage.

Oh!!! I agree with what you describe!
Absolutely, you're talking about people violating the traffic laws. That would drive me nuts too, doesnt really happen here. People are respectful to an extreme where they wont even use the right lane to go straight when there is a combination turn/straight arrow to do so.
Im one to legally use that straight/turn arrow combination lane. Otherwise, wow, you would almost be shamed here *LOL*

When I see that happen down here, I say to my wife, "he must be from NY" ... (I'm a NY transplant myself but love and respect the friendly attitude here and behave myself)
I think that’s the difference, the lack of shame…I do think that in NYC the behavior I describe is not tolerated…

Must be peaceful where you are, hey that’s worth something! 🙂

Even if it's marked as right turn?

Back