Rented a 2012 Camaro SS- Review+Trip pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share my thoughts on the Camaro SS for those interested. I rented one for a couple of days. My first choice was a Mustang 5.0 but the rental company didn't have any. I rented this solely for pleasure, drove over 500 miles in a day and a half on a small road trip with my brother.

The styling is pretty nice IMO, except for the rear styling doesn't do much for me. I also thought the interior was a little busy. I loved the HUD on the car though, that was a neat feature.

Pros:
-Styling
-Lots of power
-Excellent handling
-Transmission was predictable(rental only had autos)

Cons:
-Worst back seat I've seen in the muscle car group
-Visibility was poor(tiny windows)
-Ride got rough with only moderately bad roads, 20" wheels don't help

The power was great, but the car doesn't seem "angry", as does the 5.0 Stang. Definitely more reserved feeling. However, with all of the back country roads we took, the car was always very planted and a blast in corners. Wish a manual trans was an option but the paddle shifters were still fun. Mpg wasn't very good on the trip, but that was intentional
smile.gif

Take it for what it is, just my opinion on the car. The whole experience was really awesome, just took off and didn't have a planned route. Northern AZ has some beautiful areas as well, great escape from Phoenix.

The car at Lake Mormon:

Apache Trail, 45 mile scenic route. 22 Miles were dirt, the Camaro made our lives miserable on that part:

Roosevelt Lake:

Lake Mary, near Flagstaff:

Strawberry, AZ school house. Oldest in Arizona:

Payson to Phoenix, AZ. Beautiful route. Used to drive this everyday for about a year, always enjoyed it.

I was most interested in the photos. It looks like a great trip. I miss that part of the country.

Thanks for the write-up.

I'm thinking a similarly equipped Mustang would have been even more miserable on the 20 mile dirt road.

I rent the Camaro's all the time. While I like them quite a bit, they are big and heavy feeling, and certainly don't have a "miata like" feel to them. Nor do they do well under very aggressive driving.

At first, I hated the Camaro, but after living with it for a week, I decided it was actually a very good car. In many ways, superior to the Mustang. It's real world ride and handling is better than the Mustang, even if the track lap times say otherwise. The Camaro is better over bumpy corners and more predictable.

I'm certain, some aftermarket shocks, lightweight wheels/tires and suspension tuning would work wonders on the Camaro. But, as delivered, it has "sedan" levels of performance.

Last edited:
I rented one last month while in Arizona as well. I specifically rented the convertible with my Hertz points.

The Camaro looks like a squashed Hollyweird stunt car. Little like it's name sake the '69 Camaro. GM missed the mark. SRT is a big heavy unit, looks correct tho. The 'stang is a hoot... Ford nailed it when they put in the Coyote 5.0 to entertain me...IMO...

Someone must like how the Camaros look, because they outsold the Mustang last year.

Did any of the old F-body Camaros ever outsell the Mustang?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I saw a ZL1 Camaro at a gas station I the windows seem tiny for a car that big.

Not too crazy about this Camaro or Mustang.

I agree that the windows are quite low. Visibility is terrible. As a convertible it's fine, but as a coupe...I couldn't deal with that.

You took that car on the Apache Trail? Yikes! Lol...did it myself with a rental last year. Talk about hairy! Narrow, steep, and in the middle of the desert if you were to break down or damage the car. I was soooooo happy when I got to the end of that road/trail. Beautiful scenery, but really more suited to a small 4x4. I think they need more warnings about just how long and nasty the dirt part can be.
Thanks for the pics.

Which rental company rents out the SS? I know many have the lower variants but getting a SS would be a blast!

Originally Posted By: cchase
Someone must like how the Camaros look, because they outsold the Mustang last year.

Did any of the old F-body Camaros ever outsell the Mustang?

Good point. Many here are quick to pile on with the bashing but the public speaks with its wallet! They buy more Camaros.

And it takes only peanuts to convert your SS to a track star. or you can look for a 1LE package equipped car that handles like a DREAM on the track and outruns cars that cost twice as much.

Please tell me you went onto the Carefree Highway (with all due respects to Gordie {Lightfoot}) with that 5th gen!?

WEIGHT/MASS is the ONLY real drawback I can see with the 5th gens, and like Steve has stated, with the right setup (or a 1LE), it even overcomes that disadvantage in the handling department at least.
wink.gif

I would learn to live with/get used to the visibility/back seat problems in NO time, if I were to own one.
smile.gif

I didn't think the backseat could get any worse than what is in my 08 Mustang. I didn't buy it for the backseat, and I would have just prefered they leave it out and carpet it.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I didn't buy it for the backseat, and I would have just prefered they leave it out and carpet it.

I believe that this is EXACTLY what Ford does with the latest Track Pack Boss 302s and Laguna Secas, no??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I didn't buy it for the backseat, and I would have just prefered they leave it out and carpet it.

I believe that this is EXACTLY what Ford does with the latest Track Pack Boss 302s and Laguna Secas, no??

Yeah, but they cannot even be had around here at any price...

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Which rental company rents out the SS? I know many have the lower variants but getting a SS would be a blast!

Budget rent a car had the SS, as well as the Challenger R/T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back