Remington lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Thinking about buying a new walk behind self propelled lawn mower . Walmart has this Remington , with a Remington engine .

Anyone know anything about Remington mowers ?

Anyone know anything about Remington engines ? The mowers we have had in the past all had B&S engines .

Thanks , :)

I prefer Winchester.

Originally Posted By: benjy
most mowers are made by a very few manufacturers + rebranded! if you want a great rear drive bagger get a honda, all use dual blades + their large rear discharge NEVER clogs!!! home depot is a dealer i believe, i mail ordered mine from Wise sales as it was a model available at HD, best mower i ever had, it shames my outgoing snapper!! whatever you get be sure its rear drive where the weight of the bagged grass is + NO skinny shutes that easily clog!! the hondas use a rear sliding door, close to mulch + open to bag easy peasy!! my aunt has the $399 model from HD + its great, i went hydrostatic $$$ as i was mowing 4 lawns weekly before i gave it up, good beer $$$

Do not bag the clippings , let them fall and become fertilizer . So , that is not an issue .

I've only seen a few comments around the internet about how the handles attach on MTD and MTD's other brands. The bottom end of the handle sits in a plastic slot, and then you tighten down from the top with a plastic-handled bolt that goes through the handle and into a one inch or so square piece of metal.

The rest of the entire area around the handles and along the back looks to be one big piece of plastic. Playing with it in the store, the plastic areas had quite a lot of flex in them when moving the mower or pushing down on the handle to tip the front wheels up.

I was shocked seeing this handle setup. I suppose all of that plastic could be designed to flex a lot, flex but not break, but I have my doubts. And if anything in that area breaks, it looks like you have to replace the entire rear plastic section.

I've read a lot of push mower review comments on the big box store websites lately. Lots of complaints about mowers not starting, wheels breaking, self-propelled dying, etc, but, surprisingly, only one negative comment about the handle attaching to so much flexible plastic. The handles in the store had a lot of slop in them due to the flexing, and it seems like a weak design, but with a lack of negative comments about it, maybe it's actually good? I snapped the metal handle on my 5+ year old Brute, so handle durability is important.

Here's an example of what I mean. Click on the picture and then zoom in with the zoom button.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yard-Machines...r-Bag/504403196

It looks like all current MTDs use this design. Cub Cadet, Remington, Lawnboy, Brute, Yard Machine, Craftsman, some Snappers, etc. Along with some other brands.

Also, the slots at each wheel for the height adjustment are plastic nubs that the lever locks around. The ones in this picture look pretty big, but on some of MTD's other brands the nubs were very small.

I have never seen a handle like that, they probably claim that it reduces vibration.

If its an MTD product(looks like it is), parts should be easy to find for a while.

It will be a decent budget mower, and will likely last a while. Those Chinese Honda GX semi-clone engines are actually pretty nice and durable.

but of course, my best advice is to watch Craigslist. Ive literally bought $600-$1500 mowers for pennies on the dollar there.

A $650 Toro Super Recycler, the best residential mower you can buy, can be found for $150-$200 all day long. And its WAY better mower than any new box store mower. A used 5 year old Super Recyler will STILL get you another 20 years of service if you give it basic maintenance. You'd be lucky to get 7 years use out of anything MTD before the deck rusts out or the wheels fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back