Remeber when all new car salesmen drove new cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great story of your childhood and your dad, he sounds like a great guy.
Thank you for sharing.

And pictures of the cheer-leader, or it didn't happen.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
It seems many dealers today treat their sales people like garbage, as well as many other employees.

It's like this in every sales job.

Sales people are CONSTANTLY given unrealistic quotas to meet,
and threatened with dire consequences if they don't..... DAILY

After years doing accounting jobs I thought I'd try my hand at sales when we moved cities.

It was a terrible experience. I got out as fast as the next available accounting job was available.
The working conditions you are expected to work in (stress) is inhumane. Nobody should have to put their entire life on hold for a job.

Don't get me wrong there were successful salesmen who made healthy incomes, they were all on their third or fourth marriage. The one fellow I knew had his family come by the dealership a few times. Whenever they did, the kids looked annoyed and the wife looked very sour.
eek.gif

No thank you!

In the vast majority of dealerships, quality of life for salespeople really is horrible.
I bought a new pickup in March, 2005 in a large Ford store, primarily because of a price I couldn't refuse. I never never bought there again.
I got talking to the salesperson, who was a nice young guy. He put in 12 hour days 6 days a week, with Tuesdays off.
It was easy to tell that he wasn't happy, and that tone permeated throughout the building.
I ended back up in the dealership a month later because of the alignment of the bed to the cab, and was killing time in the showroom. Talked with another salesperson who told me that the guy who sold me the truck had left. His parting words to me was that "things are not real happy around here."

Hopefully, there will be no salesmen soon. They are a relic from 3 generations ago, as useful as a second appendix and as welcome as polio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back