Remeber when all new car salesmen drove new cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked at VW I was harassed for a while about buying a new VW. I told them my half million mile Cabriolet was a better testament to the brand.

When I worked for Nissan I drove my '82 Datsun.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
It seems many dealers today treat their sales people like garbage, as well as many other employees.

It's like this in every sales job.

Sales people are CONSTANTLY given unrealistic quotas to meet,
and threatened with dire consequences if they don't..... DAILY

Only employees I see driving all new vehicles today are the local banks. Starting to wonder if it's a job requirement on the application asking you what make/model and year you drive.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes. Years back, salesmen spent years in a dealership. Now, they're all over the place.

Selling refrigerators next week, likely...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It seems many dealers today treat their sales people like garbage, as well as many other employees.

After years doing accounting jobs I thought I'd try my hand at sales when we moved cities.

It was a terrible experience. I got out as fast as the next available accounting job was available.
The working conditions you are expected to work in (stress) is inhumane. Nobody should have to put their entire life on hold for a job.

Don't get me wrong there were successful salesmen who made healthy incomes, they were all on their third or fourth marriage. The one fellow I knew had his family come by the dealership a few times. Whenever they did, the kids looked annoyed and the wife looked very sour.
eek.gif

No thank you!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

After years doing accounting jobs I thought I'd try my hand at sales when we moved cities.

It was a terrible experience. I got out as fast as the next available accounting job was available.
The working conditions you are expected to work in (stress) is inhumane. Nobody should have to put their entire life on hold for a job.

Don't get me wrong there were successful salesmen who made healthy incomes, they were all on their third or fourth marriage. The one fellow I knew had his family come by the dealership a few times. Whenever they did, the kids looked annoyed and the wife looked very sour.
eek.gif

No thank you!

I would like to know how they did this. OR-did they APPEAR to have healthy incomes? To push $50,000/yr one has to sell ALOT of cars. Not that this amount defines a healthy income.

They are able to do it by having the dealership funnel all leads and repeat buyers their way.
Ya see, whenever you look at a car online and ask to get the dealer to contact you with the vehicles availability, they would send this info DIRECTLY to the top salespeople. They have other methods as well like forwarding all telephone sales calls to those individuals directly.

Most dealers only have 2-4 top salespeople out of a pool of 20-30. The dealer deliberately keeps giving them the gravy sales to do two things that I've observed:

1) keep them at the dealership, because we all know how much we all like dealing with the same salesperson on a repeat basis...as mentioned earlier in this thread.

2) to keep the lower salespeople motivated...plain and simple. This method works on many young salespeople who are just out of HS. IMHO, after a while the smarter ones realize the setup and get out early and pursue further education or other careers.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Nice post user52165. I appreciate your story. I took a moment to look up the 62 Electra on Wikipedia just to imagine what it was like.

It was a great name for a car, that's for sure. Buick might do well to bring that name back. But Buick, if you bring it back, bring it back for a nice car please!

Bring back the Wildcat! Skylark was a cool name too, as was Century when it denoted a car that could do 100 mph. Now it would make buyers think, "Only retirement home geezers would drive a car named 'Century'!"

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
At my local dealer (where I got the Jeep) the more senior sales staff and of course management all drive demos. My Jeep was the President's demo that he drove for a few months, which is why I got the deal on it I did.

Most of the mechanics also drive dealer product except for the really new guys.

My dealership is like that. And I once bought a Silverado that way. Got a terrific price on it with only 3200 miles. I still have one good sales guy that will phone me if something special comes in. The last offer I got was a newer 300C SRT8 with less than 30k miles.

BTW, one of the very few dealers with my respect. They have great service. Not typical IME...

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Nice post user52165. I appreciate your story. I took a moment to look up the 62 Electra on Wikipedia just to imagine what it was like.

It was a great name for a car, that's for sure. Buick might do well to bring that name back. But Buick, if you bring it back, bring it back for a nice car please!

Bring back the Wildcat! Skylark was a cool name too, as was Century when it denoted a car that could do 100 mph. Now it would make buyers think, "Only retirement home geezers would drive a car named 'Century'!"

Buicks were wonderful over the road cars known for long legs. Electra 225 in the late 60's was an AMAZING car, huge and fast. The old daze...

Originally Posted By: user52165
True story.

In 1962 when I was 18 y.o., our family bought a new Buick LeSabre. One hot summer day I took it in for routine service. Our salesman said "How would you like to drive my demo, I won't need it for a few hours". It was a new Electra 225 4DHT with A/C, never drove an AC car before. Remember he called that a "Doctors Car".

5 years later after I graduated from college, I went back and bought my first new car from him at same dealership.

Frascona Buick, Milwaukee, WI

Dealers used to be smart.

Buick Electra

My uncle had a 60s era Electra when I was a kid (early-mid 70s). It was green,and I remember it had a needle you could set on the speedometer that would buzz if you went over the set speed.

When I worked in a multi-line luxury dealership in STL, sales guys had access to demo cars but paid $600/mo. for the privilege and were expected to pony up the $1000 deductible if they damaged the car in any way. One guy got fired...he skinned-up the doors on the new 528i he had for a demo and took it to the guy who did our [censored] used car work to fix it before the boss found out. Somebody hit the car on the lot at the dealership in an unrelated incident and the filler popped out on the doors...he got fired and the guy who did the repair lost his contract with the company too.

A coworker of mine worked for the local MB store, and they got cheap lease deals on C300s.

The poor buggers can't do much but keep the buying process marginally organized and moving along anyway. Car sales folk have no final say in what they can sell you the car for. They can't give you a trade-in allowance amount. They can't do the financing, etc. As much as I love cars, I couldn't think of a worse job. Vacuuming out porta-potties would be a step up IMO.

They are able to do it by having the dealership funnel all leads and repeat buyers their way.
Ya see, whenever you look at a car online and ask to get the dealer to contact you with the vehicles availability, they would send this info DIRECTLY to the top salespeople. They have other methods as well like forwarding all telephone sales calls to those individuals directly.

Most dealers only have 2-4 top salespeople out of a pool of 20-30. The dealer deliberately keeps giving them the gravy sales to do two things that I've observed:

1) keep them at the dealership, because we all know how much we all like dealing with the same salesperson on a repeat basis...as mentioned earlier in this thread.

2) to keep the lower salespeople motivated...plain and simple. This method works on many young salespeople who are just out of HS. IMHO, after a while the smarter ones realize the setup and get out early and pursue further education or other careers.

Yup! Very accurate. Most dealers treat their salespeople like cattle.

eek.gif

No thank you!

After years of working at dealerships... I can say your observation is very accurate. Long hours and most of the sales people I knew didn't have long-lasting relationships because of how unstable the profession and environment was.

Last edited:
A little nostalgia about salesmen and new cars...

I sure do remember when new-car salesmen drove new cars. My dad did most of my childhood. And I think in his mind, he still does.
wink.gif
Read on...

I'm gonna always love the cars he drove in the 70s and 80s. I recall this green two door '73 Impala with a 350, great car. He loved that and it made me hooked on V8s, and I haven't owned an inline 4 and have not since I got rid of a BMW three and a 2002 about 1993. But on the demo front, there were also some very forgettable Oldsmobiles in the late 70s, however. A lot of [censored] with "88" and "98" as well as "Royal" and such in the name and that had fuzzy velour that felt worn out and cheap even when it was new. Whenever a road trip came up, we suddenly had a wonderful Chevy "conversion" van with shag everywhere, a refrigerator and captains chairs in back, running lights and everything that screamed "Keep on truckin..." - including a CB radio. Oh yeah. Good times.

I recall a day in the spring of '82, he was supposed to take me to a dentist appointment and pick me up from school, I recall vaguely mom not quite trusting him with this task but he assured her he was on it the night before. I was out on the curb in front of the school office on time. Then an unknown-to me car fish-tails in the far end of the long school drive, then revs up and hits maybe 70 in the short distance of the bus circle. Then locks it all up with all four smoking and does a complete 180 and slams the tires into the curb 10' or less in front of me, perfectly. A brand-new Z-28 Camaro, the new third generation that was all the buzz, white with blue stripes,those so-cool spoke alloys. The first one anyone around our remote area (outside Louisville, KY) had seen. Dad drops the window and says hop in. So I did. After the denist appt., we got beers and went to a matinee of "Electra Glide in Blue" with Robert Blake as a motorcycle cop (we also rode/ride bikes). It was a 10 year old film by then, but was on the matinee at the Trans-Lux in Louisville. I was not an unpopular guy in HS, but after that stunt, which had been witnessed by many, I got a lot more attention. Including some excellent attention from an upper class cheer-leader who had a '68 Camaro RS-SS perfectly restored. Lotta good memories in that car. Thanks dad!

In 1985, our next door neighbor owned a local Ford dealership. He gave me a cherry red Ford EXP turbo to drive for a few weeks around graduation time, to try to show it off and get a buyer. Apparently those were dogs for Ford, even with "Turbo" on it. One night we took it out to the country to see if it could do the advertised 1XX mph (I can't recall what it was supposed to be exactly). I got within 95% of it, whatever it was, and was running out of road and shut it down. So there's also something to be said for new-car dealership owners who trusted the hormone-addled 18 year old neighbor kid, and had [censored], albeit turbo-charged, Ford products to move. And of course, a tip of the hat to the lax law enforcement practices in Florida that were prevalent from 1845 until, as far as I can tell, now.

I recall another fun event about 1987, I was home from college and he worked at a BMW dealership in Fla. They had a demo show at a mall, and he called to have me and my brother come help shuffle all the cars from the mall back to the dealership about 15 miles north up US 19. Oh man... We lined up three abreast in '87 L6s, 535is, I recall 735is and also an L7, etc. - Some nice iron for the day. And we took all tha tand just raced stop light to stop light from Clearwater to Tarpon Springs, f' the consequences. We did this like three times that night, what a blast. The really memorable moment was we were three abreast at the light, my 17 year old brother in the middle. We hit go and 50 yards later I look over and see my dad two lanes away, my brother is missing. I see him in the mirror well back, but we just say "let him deal with it" and keep racing. Screw him, he'll figure it out, let's race. Thanks Dad!

Oh yeah, then the time dad taught threshold breaking to us by bringing home an ABS equipped BMW (like the first year - '86?) He brought home a new BMW and then found a cul-de-sac. He'd run it up to 70-ish then lock it up as it looked like we'd end up in the living room at the end of the cul-de-sac. He made us note the stopping difference, made us try it, then pulled the fuse and showed us threshold braking. Then made us practice it until we could meet the ABS mark. Thanks Dad!

That skill had paid off so many times, so many places. I have a (sadly) increasingly vintage Audi, a '91 V8 with the very rare 5 speed getrag transmission, sport seats and cams. But it also has twin Torsen differentials front and rear, and a center dash ABS on-off switch! God I love turning that off and practicing real braking skills. I'll never sell that car. But there are no snowmobile trails where I live now where I can go out and really get the full use of its abilities.
wink.gif

I may have made my dad sound reckless and foolish, but he is a really talented rider/driver and I have seen him do things with cars and bikes I did not think possible. He used to race a '66 Chevelle SS396 in street drag back in the day, had done Bondurant schools and also the Richard Petty NASCCAR school on the big walls of Talladega. I also once watched him miss a turn on a group bike ride just outside Mt. Dora, Fla. instead of moseying back to the intersection, He just cut across a plowed farm field, lifted the front of the '90 Harley sportster 1200 he was riding, and wheelied it a 1/4 mile across the plowed field to cut the corner. To this day I doubt what I saw, but I saw it. He texted me just yesterday and asked me to get on Craigslist, find him a dirt bike to rebuild. He's 70. The new neighbors got a mini bike for their nephew, he has spent two weeks linking all the woods of the properties together with a chainsaw and hi Kubota to make a motocross track. Now he wants a dirt bike again... Awesome.

So yeah, I have some good memories of back when they let salesmen drive new cars...
wink.gif

Sorry, her and the kids are away tonight so I have to much time on my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back