Redlight Ticket Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Believe or not, at one time a traffic violation over $20 had the right to a jury trail.

In Kentucky any violation-moving or otherwise-is entitled to a jury trial. States like to redefine traffic violations as administrative rather than criminal so that due process and other constitutional protections no longer apply. The Safety Nazis especially like that redefinition as it makes it much easier to make automated speeding and red light camera tickets stick.

Well said.

On the other hand, if the victim motorist fails to pay the fine or otherwise answer the summons it turns into a criminal matter but quick.
Bench warrant issued, arrested, handcuffed, the whole deal over what could have been a minor traffic offense.

Oh forgot to mention, here in NJ they reduced the time you have to pay up after receiving a ticket from about a mouth to two weeks. So they can hit more people with late fees or worse naturally.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Well said.

On the other hand, if the victim motorist fails to pay the fine or otherwise answer the summons it turns into a criminal matter but quick.
Bench warrant issued, arrested, handcuffed, the whole deal over what could have been a minor traffic offense.

Oh forgot to mention, here in NJ they reduced the time you have to pay up after receiving a ticket from about a mouth to two weeks. So they can hit more people with late fees or worse naturally.

When I was in traffic court we issued a Failure to Appear(FTA) on no-shows for moving violations. That would yank their license in KY and most every other state. Generally anyone issued a citation had at least six weeks to pay before their scheduled court date. As for fines and costs- they have become outrageous. I was told by the Judicial Conduct Commission that I could not refer to fines and costs as "state sanctioned extortion."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back