Redlight Ticket Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are white painted stop bars on most intersections. If the front of your car passes the bar while yellow, and the light turns red, its perfectly legal. If the front of your cars passed the stop bar while the light is red, then the ticket is warranted.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I have ALWAYS had success either talking with our Sheriff or Police Chief. JTK is 100% correct. A conversation will only cost you a little time. Elected officials are always aware of their need for votes in the next election.

No. Don't do this. When you get a ticket, it is not proper in any jurisdiction in America to "talk" to the police chief or Sheriff. You can file a complaint if the officer was unprofessional or not following the law, but just asking to "talk" to the head of the department over a citation is 100% baloney.

After a ticket is issued, its up to the prosecuting attorney from there. The outcome of a ticket should have not be decided on your discussion of the issue with a police chief or Sheriff.

Depends on the circumstances. I know someone who knows several of that township's POs. A phone call was made on my behalf to one of them and I was given a break. I didn't have to go to court, they mailed me a non-moving violation fine (parking ticket) for which I had to pay.

I'm sure if I had a ton of tickets or other issues it wouldn't have worked that way.

I have ALWAYS had success either talking with our Sheriff or Police Chief. JTK is 100% correct. A conversation will only cost you a little time. Elected officials are always aware of their need for votes in the next election.

Be careful...I know of someone who had a private conversation with the 'police chief'....now they want to charge him with obstruction of justice.......

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Yeah go to court, since he has not prior tickets he should get it dropped, and there is the possibility that the cop does not show.

I wouldn't count on the cop not showing up. Traffic tickets are major source of revenue for municipalities and you are presumed guilty until proven innocent.

Best hope is talking with the on prosecutor on the court date and possibly plead it down to a lesser violation without points, but still a hefty fine. Also, plan on spending a few hours in the whole ordeal and maybe losing time off work.

A local town in my area deliberately holds their traffic court sessions 9AM Tuesday mornings to discourage people from contesting the many tickets they issue.

The biggest problem is that if he is too sheepish to research this himself, he's probably won't be comfortable talking to anyone. This is the kind of person that mails in the fine.

Many times you only need to show up to get some offer.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Be careful...I know of someone who had a private conversation with the 'police chief'....now they want to charge him with obstruction of justice.......

And rightly so. You talk to the Police Chiefs boss, especially when you're the one who hired the police chiefs boss. It's basic chain of command.

(Let the devolving being, I guess)

i would say if your brother has been driving for 10 years that implies he is a grown adult and should be able to figure this out by himself.
Your wording of "should we" and so on makes it seem like hes your dependent and your brother is incapable of this?

if he really needs handholding on how to handle this, then some failure in maturity has happened.

This is just a ticket, he's not the first person to get one and not the end of the world. Do him a favor and let him figure it out solo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks very much guys for all of your input and help. Will contest it, based on everything.

BTW, call the court in advance and ask if there will be an opportunity to speak with the prosecutor on the court day but before the session begins.

Representing yourself in a not guilty plea is almost guaranteed to lose, regardless of the facts and he'll get hit with court cost on top of the fine and points. In fact, there may be court costs incurred even with a plea to a lesser violation.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

No. Don't do this. When you get a ticket, it is not proper in any jurisdiction in America to "talk" to the police chief or Sheriff. You can file a complaint if the officer was unprofessional or not following the law, but just asking to "talk" to the head of the department over a citation is 100% baloney.

After a ticket is issued, its up to the prosecuting attorney from there. The outcome of a ticket should have not be decided on your discussion of the issue with a police chief or Sheriff.
Many jurisdictions don't use attorneys for traffic court, they have an officer assigned to the court for such duties. In many jurisdictions traffic violations are a civil offense. Whole different ballgame.

One of the suburbs in the Seattle metro has a straight four lane arterial with photo cameras at each light. There are 6-8 lights in one stretch. At night it looks like a strobe light show as the cameras trigger the flashes. Huge money maker for the city and for the private contractor running the system.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Thanks very much guys for all of your input and help. Will contest it, based on everything.

BTW, call the court in advance and ask if there will be an opportunity to speak with the prosecutor on the court day but before the session begins.

Even better go some other day ahead of your case and watch. Take mental notes. You will see a LOT of people fail at this so mimic the successes.

When I went, I got to talk with the prosecution before the trial. It worked out in my favor once.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Originally Posted By: pbm
Gebo said:

And rightly so. You talk to the Police Chiefs boss, especially when you're the one who hired the police chiefs boss. It's basic chain of command.

(Let the devolving being, I guess) [/quote

Why didn't that 'police chief's boss' make the announcement in that other 'matter'.....I guess she couldn't because she was guilty of OoJ herself....

I always ask for a break, starting with the pullover. The municipalities are interested in the revenue, not punishing the offender. I've never had a ticket result in license points. Generally on the day of the hearing, the officer (who NEVER fails to show as it could cost him his job), is approachable for a conversation and a guilty plea to a violation with no points, and a slightly smaller fine. The revenue comes in and the officer can be on his way with a successful conviction, a win win. There are very few times that a judge will side against a police officer, and trying that route usually fails. To me, avoiding points is the critical part. In my state, two violations in two years involving points will result in being forced to retake your drivers test or else you lose your license. Keeping points off your license also keeps your insurance lower.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The biggest problem is that if he is too sheepish to research this himself, he's probably won't be comfortable talking to anyone. This is the kind of person that mails in the fine.

Many times you only need to show up to get some offer.

Exactly; when I heard traffic dockets the prosecutors were almost always willing to amend/defer/dismiss minor infractions if the defendant was polite and hadn't ticked the arresting officer off.
We all had better things to do.

A prosecutor for traffic tickets? Reading about rumblings in California where running a red light costs around $450 and up. About $50 of that is for the actual violation, and the rest, who knows? The Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court thinks things have gotten out of control $$. Gee you think? The solution they are working on is to raise registration fees and make it so you only pay the $50. Only problem is they will "lower the burden of guilt" meaning unless you get a DUI or run over a pedestrian there will be no Court, period. Just pay the money. Don't know what they will be doing about points.

Have a quick question gang, so my brother got a red light crossing ticket.

No tickets, since he has the license(for almost 10 years) and he drives like a grandpa(just like me).

As per him, light was still yellow when he crossed and there were 2 other vehicles with him in the next lane, all crossed at the same time.

But he got pulled over and was issued the ticket. Now should we contest it and go to court? If so, any advice or suggestions?

I'm guessing Northern Virginia, either Alexandria or Arlington. Pretty crazy traffic around there. Whew! Just got back from there last weekend, no thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: resist
A prosecutor for traffic tickets? Reading about rumblings in California where running a red light costs around $450 and up. About $50 of that is for the actual violation, and the rest, who knows? l $$. The solution they are working on is to raise registration fees and make it so you only pay the $50. Only problem is they will "lower the burden of guilt" meaning unless you get a DUI or run over a pedestrian there will be no Court, period. Just pay the money.

Believe or not, at one time a traffic violation over $20 had the right to a jury trail.
Needless to say, that option was dumped, probably around the time states starting jacking up the violation fines, or even earlier.

Expired inspection sticker in New Jersey use to be $25. (I know I got a lot of them with my first car). Now its $140.

Other minor paper work violation fines are way up across the board as well, mostly implemented under disgraced Ex Gov Jim McGreevy as I recall.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Believe or not, at one time a traffic violation over $20 had the right to a jury trail.

In Kentucky any violation-moving or otherwise-is entitled to a jury trial. States like to redefine traffic violations as administrative rather than criminal so that due process and other constitutional protections no longer apply. The Safety Nazis especially like that redefinition as it makes it much easier to make automated speeding and red light camera tickets stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back