Red Pocket ending service for Sprint based phones

Check out boostmobile I have boostmobile for a business line $15 month tax fees included unlimited talk & text 2gb data.

You have a CDMA device, the only possibility would be Verizon as far as compatibility. With that said Verizon is shutting off its CDMA network Dec 2022 and its possible even the existing service is limited. CDMA service will be officially dead forever and so will that phone.
Your phone is trash. Only Verizon and Sprint were CDMA networks, Sprint gone and Verizon shutting it off.

You need a phone that is 4g LTE compatible and of course if you get one make sure it is compatible with the cell company you decide on just to be careful since you are looking at lower cost phones some may not carry all the radio frequencies.

Just got a message from them that you won't be able to use your phone after March because the Sprint service it uses is shutting down. Currently I pay $14.75 a month total for 1,000 minutes, unlimited text, 1 GB data. Considering their Alcatel Insight phone for $79 refurb. https://us.alcatelmobile.com/alcatel-insight/ Any thoughts on that phone or the service?
Seems pricey ...
Check mintmobile
New phone $79 if you buy one year worth of service for $180
4BG a month of data and unlimited calling and texting.
They have 3 phones under $79

Someone else mentioned Tmobile connect, similar deal. Its still new so you may have to fish around the site.

Last edited:
I was just going by your OP... showing a 5inch screen...
Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.11.54 AM.jpg

Welcome to Red Pocket! Your wait time will be approximately 544 minute(s). One of our representatives will be with you shortly.
Yep. The 3g and Sprint network shutdowns are playing havoc with Red Pocket's customer service. In addition to the excessively long phone support hold times, their email support has become unresponsive.

If you have the unlocked version of the K30 (model starts with LMX320...), it should be OK.
There were also apparently two other versions, locked to T-Mobile and AT&T.
Unfortunately the LG site doesn't show exact band coverage. For best results on T-Mobile you'd want a phone that can operate on their "golden boy" new band 71, which will very likely mean a new phone.

If you have the unlocked version of the K30 (model starts with LMX320...), it should be OK.
There were also apparently two other versions, locked to T-Mobile and AT&T.
Unfortunately the LG site doesn't show exact band coverage. For best results on T-Mobile you'd want a phone that can operate on their "golden boy" new band 71, which will very likely mean a new phone.
From IMEI, it's not compatible. Don't mind a new phone as this LG is too big anyway to comfortably keep in a pants pocket. Just that there aren't many phones any smaller at reasonable prices.

OK, so they make the same phone with different guts to work on different systems?
Yes CDMA transmitters (previously only used on Verizon and Sprint) (radios) and GSM/LTE on everything else in the USA and around the world for that matter.
I you do a search on the above model numbers above the photos I posted, you will see, for example the TCL A30 is a new phone released oil late 2021 tcl_a30-11360.php

I cant answer your questions on your phone, all I come up with is the model you tell me is a GSM unit, with that said, maybe of the same model phones has different transmitters for Verizon and Sprint vs the others ... sometimes their is a longer model number, like k30c or whatever, I dont know .. here is the k30 I come up with, you can also use this site to check phones, https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k30_(2019)-9827.php
Again, I cant answer what it is about your phone and dont want to tell you wrong, except that CDMA is dead and Mint mobile phones are gsm/LTE and operate on the T-Mobile network which you can also confirm with them.

Last edited:
Beating this horse a bit further, I thought the phone in question had a (removable) SIM card? CDMA-only phones would not have this, would they?

Beating this horse a bit further, I thought the phone in question had a (removable) SIM card? CDMA-only phones would not have this, would they?
CDMA would not have a removable SIM card unless it was also LTE capable I think, cant answer, many years ago when were were on Sprint none of our phones had SIM cards.

Ps, its not really like Red Pocket is ending service for Sprint phones. Sprint no longer exists as it was bought by T-Mobile, Sprints old system CDMA is being shut down by T-Mobile as CDMA is outdated and also being shut down by the one other network that used CDMA, Verizon.

its not really like Red Pocket is ending service for Sprint phones.
Except that is exactly what they are doing. The CDMAS cards and the Sprint network will no longer work. If your phone can tune to a non-Sprint network you can use it with a new card, but then really isn't a "Sprint phone" anymore.

T-Mobile is planning to set up the old Sprint bands as 5G only for maximum performance of 5G, and for that to work they need all of the old 4G Sprint customers to move to a T-Mobile band.

Except that is exactly what they are doing. The CDMAS cards and the Sprint network will no longer work. If your phone can tune to a non-Sprint network you can use it with a new card, but then really isn't a "Sprint phone" anymore.

T-Mobile is planning to set up the old Sprint bands as 5G only for maximum performance of 5G, and for that to work they need all of the old 4G Sprint customers to move to a T-Mobile band.
Correct but I already posted this, maybe wasnt clear?

CDMA no longer exists, RedPocket can't offer a service that doesnt exist or any other reseller for that matter. So its not like RedPocket ended the service, T-Mobile the provider did there/for RedPocket can no longer offer it.
T-Mobile shut down/shutting down CDMA, Verizon is too.

Last edited:
Back