Recommendation for 3 1990s BMWs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how hard the 318ti is on oil but do NOT run a dino in the M60s. Miles of timing chain and 8 high-reving ring packs make it very hard on oil. The bottom end of mine was stuffed with varnish despite the PO having a fistful of quicky-lube receipts showing regular changes with dino. It doesn't need a boutique - RTS 5w40 would do okay for 5k OCIs - but it does need something stouter than just a regular oil.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah, this one:
That's the one. The one that gives you the choice of FIVE or SIX different weights for the part of the range that's relevant to the US. It's no wonder people aren't sure what to use.

I don't see it as that confusing. For your OCI, what are the max/min/average temperatures that will be encountered, and based upon that, select an oil (with say 5w-40 spanning a range not shown).

Everything in engineering is a compromise, so you might miss a bit on the low or top end, but no big deal in the end.

First off, let me say "I AM VERY JEALOUS!", lol. Seriously, though, a 1995 E34 540i M-Sport? One of my favorite BMW's of all-time (non-M), and I had one literally slip through my fingers just two years ago...
smirk.gif
(told the dealership I'd be back the next day with cash for it, they said they'd hold it.. showed up at 1:00PM, cash literally in hand, and I watched someone else drive off the lot with it; same thing had happened about two weeks before with a 2003 E39 540i M-Sport... argh). I love, love, love those cars! It sounds like you're treating her well, and I hope you continue to have many decades of enjoyment with that beautiful automobile!
smile.gif

In regards to fluids, based on your criteria, as well as considering that one of the cars in question is a limited-edition car that will absolutely benefit from the highest-quality fluids possible (1/500 in NA, yes?).... I would recommend using Redline 5w40 or 10w50 in the 540 (I personally think the lighter 5w40, which with Redline is already very "heavy" for its weight, is the best choice), a lighter 5w30 in the 318, and 5w30-40 in the 740.
Redline, being a Group V oil, will absolutely give you the extended drain intervals you would like, but without any sacrifice in reliability or engine wear. It is one of two oils that I run, without question, for over 5k in my applications. I would be willing to bet that after a few OCI's with Redline in your engine, you could take the valve covers off and everything would look shiny-new.
Royal Purple is the other of the two oils that I trust, and it is also more easily available (locally, I mean). However, I have not used the new stuff, only the bottles that have "with SYNERLAC!" on them. I run RP for 2/3 OCI's and Redline for the other 1/3, and it has cleaned up sludge and varnish left behind on all 3 of my Bimmers from the previous owners' use of BMW Synthetic and German Castrol (on my 328Ci, this sludge/varnish had developed within 40k miles! It was cleaned out in 1/4 as many, and by the time I opened the engine for the new cams/valvetrain/rods/etc prior to the S/C install, it was practically sparkling!).

In my 328Ci and 325i, I run 5w30 and 5w40, while in my '98 740i Sport (4.4 V8, thus an M62TU engine) I typically run 5w40 year-round. This is in southern Ohio, so weather is not terribly different, although we do see less snow than you and the temperature scale would be shifted a few degrees (typical summer day is 85-95*F, this winter it's been around 35-40*F but as low as 10*F at night). The "new" Royal Purple HPS oil is, from what I understand, the "old" "regular" RP "with Synerlac" oil, just rebottled and sold so that the regular stuff can meet the newer specifications. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend either RP or RL to ANY BMW owner, based not only on my experience, but also on many cars I have worked on (friends, family, and friends-of-friends via word-of-mouth) and driven.

I am not a fanboy, I just have had great luck with the fluids, and I think they are worth a shot for anyone. You have a "boutique" car, I'd say it deserves "boutique" oil!
wink.gif

Happy New Year!
nleksan

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
M1 0W-40 year round for all vehicles is my initial thought...

I knew somebody'd say that. I knew that as soon as I read the thread title.
grin2.gif

For the most rea$onable price 5W-40 Rotella ought to do everything for all three for as long as you own 'em...

Cheers!

p.s. I might add that it would probably do everything for all our vehicles as well. I've just accumulated so much oil stash over the years that I'd have to have a virtual Bitog garage sale to get rid of it all and start over with one oil ( "...one oil to rule them, one oil to...").

Thanks for your replies. The strong recommendation for Mobil 1 OW-40 doesn't surprise given the amount of reading I've done on here so far. I'm interested to see recommendations for non LL-XX approved oils like Red Line, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1 15W-50.

I'm most curious to know if anyone has direct, long-term experience with the Lubro Moly, Total, or Motul oils I listed in their own European-built cars. Obviously, they're not as popular as Mobil 1, Red Line, or Royal Purple here in the United States.

As of today, I've split the difference a bit. Lubro Moly 5W-40 in the 318ti, Mobil 1 OW-40 in the 740i. We'll see how it goes!

Update!

After some time and some fluid changes (and a new car: 1994 740i -> 2001 740iL) I'll outline the fluids I settled on. Essentially, all I did was locate a ton of synthetic fluids that met the required specification and sort them by price and convenience. Here's how it shook out:

ENGINE OIL

Motul 8100 X-Cess. Vendor: Amazon.com. Price: $35.61/5 L. Since I have three engines with oil capacities that total 20 L (7.5 L + 7.5 L + 5 L), 5 L jugs are just way more convenient. Moreover, Amazon's 20 L package is the lowest price per quart/liter of any LL-01 oil I've found (which purchased in that amount).

ATF

For power steering systems:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Vendor: Fleet Farm (local). $8.28 per quart with tax. Also considering the much cheaper Citgo TransGuard Dexron VI for this task ($5.33 per quart with tax). That said, I've also got a leftover 5 L jug of Pentosin ATF-1 that I'll probably use for power steering fluid until it runs out.

For manual transmissions:

Royal Purple Synchromax. Vendor: Amazon.com. $17.24 per quart shipped.

For automatic transmissions:

Since I need specialized equipment to measure the transmission temperature on a ZF 5HP24, I'll just have a dealer or independent shop do this task and fill it with BMW-spec fluid.

GEAR OIL

Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90. Vendor: Fleet Farm (local). Price: $10.66/quart with tax. Also considered the Lubro-Moly 75W-90 available at AutohausAZ.com, but the additional ~$1.50 per bottle doesn't appear to get me anything.

BRAKE FLUID

Ate Type 200. Vendor: Autohausaz.com. Price: $13.48/L.

COOLANT

BMW Antifreeze/Coolant. Vendor: FCPEuro.com. Price: $24.55/gallon. I struggled a bit here. I like that the main alternative, Pentosin NF, is a neat blue and comes in more sensible quantities (1.5 L jugs—I hate having half a gallon of coolant sit around pointlessly for 2 years), but Pentosin NF is hideously expensive, so BMW it is.

If you guys can think of a way to improve this lineup, feel free to post it here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back