Recommend an oil/weight for Lawn Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that you're a synthetic oil salesman, I guess your world would come to a grinding halt without it.

However, as I stated, myself and many, many millions, possibly billions who don't use synthetic oil are proof enough that the world would easily survive without synthetic oil.

Regarding your claims that synthetic oil isn't as expensive as I claim, if one can buy a quart of Rotella or Delvac on sale for as little as $1.60/qt, compared to your product selling for $8.00 to $12.00 or more per quart, I'd say my claims are supported.

Below is another poster's comments to support my claim:

"
I got a pail of Rotella T6 in 0w-40, for just under $50...
$2.50 a quart...

Amsoil is $10-$12...

My T5 10W-30 was even cheaper, $1.60 for two and a half gallons...

Both are SN rated diesel oils..."

Unless used commercially, most lawn tractor engines
aren't highly stressed. A brand named conventional would
likely be fine for season.
While John Deere says 50hrs (after break in),
Kawasaki says 100 hours.
Many/most folks will do one year changes (hopefully).
Those lawn tractor engine are air cooled however, and
I'll likely go 10W-40 once the break in is over.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Considering that you're a synthetic oil salesman, I guess your world would come to a grinding halt without it.

However, as I stated, myself and many, many millions, possibly billions who don't use synthetic oil are proof enough that the world would easily survive without synthetic oil.

Regarding your claims that synthetic oil isn't as expensive as I claim, if one can buy a quart of Rotella or Delvac on sale for as little as $1.60/qt, compared to your product selling for $8.00 to $12.00 or more per quart, I'd say my claims are supported.

Below is another poster's comments to support my claim:

"
I got a pail of Rotella T6 in 0w-40, for just under $50...
$2.50 a quart...

Amsoil is $10-$12...

My T5 10W-30 was even cheaper, $1.60 for two and a half gallons...

Both are SN rated diesel oils..."

You have yet to prove you footnote.

If you are buying oil $1.60 PER 2.5 Gallons, then sure no one can match that. You win!

Amsoil ADN 10W-30 $5.30/qt, so at $1.60/qt that's 3.3X and ADO 5W-40 is $5.60/qt so @ $2.50/qt that's 2.2X. The 15W-40 is $5.35 at qt prices. Gallons are about $20.

Well, many new cars require synthetic oil or at least a blend, so the whole "world would be just fine without synthetic oil" thing kinda falls flat on its face right there.
Good luck running conventional in a new turbo motor!
They are in many cars now, not just a niche thing any more, Ford, GM, Honda and more...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk
Well, many new cars require synthetic oil or at least a blend, so the whole "world would be just fine without synthetic oil" thing kinda falls flat on its face right there.
Good luck running conventional in a new turbo motor!
They are in many cars now, not just a niche thing any more, Ford, GM, Honda and more...

Which is fine, as long as the oil being used carries the required certification. If it doesn't then I wouldn't use it no matter what the base stock happens to be.

And to stay on topic, OPE can get very hot and the low Noack of a good synthetic like Amsoil's small engine formula can be very beneficial.
Especially the 6 hours of run time the OP is talking about, I could see a good synthetic being very beneficial!

I think that I'll switch to a conventional oil for the N55 in my 2er; I'll save money and it will protect just as well- especially on the track...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I think that I'll switch to a conventional oil for the N55 in my 2er; I'll save money and it will protect just as well- especially on the track...

I guess if your oil temps stay reasonable, then probably it would be fine if there are no hot spots... Liquid cooled turbo and I assume oil cooled pistons, so some 15W40 probably would work not too bad. Let us know
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I guess if your oil temps stay reasonable, then probably it would be fine if there are no hot spots... Liquid cooled turbo and I assume oil cooled pistons, so some 15W40 probably would work not too bad. Let us know
wink.gif

You do realize that I was being sarcastic?

wink.gif

You do realize that I was being sarcastic?

I sort of was too.
It is an interesting design question though. I'd guess for N.A. street use almost any decent conventional oil would probably work fine. But BMW doesn't feel the need to size the cooling system to run conventional oil on a track or on the autobahn, so they spec synthetic oil for the car.

I mow residential and commercial yards during the mowing season and the only oil i use is either rotella or delo sae 30,40 rated CF,CF-2 / SL
no oil consumption or engine problems i change every 150 hrs.

I sort of was too.
It is an interesting design question though. I'd guess for N.A. street use almost any decent conventional oil would probably work fine. But BMW doesn't feel the need to size the cooling system to run conventional oil on a track or on the autobahn, so they spec synthetic oil for the car.

I'm just nervous about running anything other than synthetic in a turbocharged motor. Actually, everything in my garage gets synthetic, but in most cases I only change the oil on an annual basis, so the slight additional expense is no big deal.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
rooflessVW said:
ARCOgraphite said:
it is shear stable and while it may not be as good as the vanguard 15w50 syn, the difference would be negligible, if recommended oil change intervals are followed

OP please post a UOA of from your motor

Related question: Has anyone seen a VOA of the Briggs Vanguard 15w50 oil? I am interested in the ZDDP levels vs HDEO's

Originally Posted By: smithph
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
rooflessVW said:
ARCOgraphite said:
it is shear stable and while it may not be as good as the vanguard 15w50 syn, the difference would be negligible, if recommended oil change intervals are followed

OP please post a UOA of from your motor

Related question: Has anyone seen a VOA of the Briggs Vanguard 15w50 oil? I am interested in the ZDDP levels vs HDEO's

I did find one related piece of information from the Vanguard 15w50 oil MSDS sheet... It is made by Pinnacle Oil in Indiana USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back