Recommend an oil/weight for Lawn Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always ran straight 30w when I used to have a lawn tractor.

Based on the mower usage B&S recommends Vanguard 15-50. Based on the operating conditions and B&S recommendations I'd go with Shell Rotella 15/40. Ed

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
regarding warm up, air cooled engines reach operating temperature within a minute or two of starting

if you don't believe me try touching the block of your lawnmower after you start it

The engine metal may be hot, but the OIL doesn't reach operating temp within a minute or two. It doesn't reach operating temp in 10 minutes. It doesn't reach operating temp in 20 minutes. Some time in the neighborhood of 25-40 minutes, the oil FINALLY reaches close to operating temp. It takes a LOT longer for the oil to get there than you would think. How do I know this? Easy, as a former small engine mechanic I have worked on tons of equipment that had oil temp gauges. I would use them to mow lawns, and watch the gauge. The oil gradually warms up. Its not instant.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Just ordered a six pack of the Castrol HD40,

Thats a good oil and should serve you well. Try 15W50 synthetic next time. I honestly believe its what you need. I was a small engine guy in Florida and I have changed the oil on thousands of small engines. I've analyzed some trends over time. I wholeheartedly agree with Briggs adding the 15W50 recommendation for commercial and/or continuous use engines.

You won't beat Amsoil 10w-40 Small Engine Oil.
NOACK of 3.7. Yep, 3.7.
Loaded with way more zinc and anti-wear additives than the automotive oils listed above...even includes rust inhibitors for OPE that sits for long periods.
We use this in our commercial zero-turns in lawn maintenance business. Hours of high heat and high stress use on 60" decks. Air cooled. Have yet to have a Kawasaki burn any of this oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
2014, 22 H.P. Briggs & Stratton V-twin, High dust, high heat, six hours mowing at a time every 3 weeks or so.

Briggs recently added the 15W50 recommendation for EXACTLY what you describe.

-For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F).

Bingo! Higher weight for continuous use.

The Air filtration on these air cooled engines is just as important as the oil and oil filter choices, if not more so.

I Cant find a 30W on the SAE chart, Highest is 25W.

Marine oil 25W40. No bad stuff for you road race guys, pricey though.

No Diesel engine oil in a gas engine!

No 15W40!

Wrong stuff.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

No 15W40!

Wrong stuff.

Are you off your meds again? 15W40 oil is really good stuff, and perfect for use in just about all small engines.

Oh that's why it's on Briggs&Stratton oil selection chart!

Oh it ISNT!

DP for diesel (C) service not good for Gas (S).

Luckily most small engines (read: push mower) will run on "anything"

Not Soo ring mower, tractors and snowblowers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

No 15W40!

Wrong stuff.

Are you off your meds again? 15W40 oil is really good stuff, and perfect for use in just about all small engines.

I've been using a 50/50 blend of Rotella 5W30 and 15W40 for decades in both diesel and gas engines liquid and air cooled.

I blend it because of the wide temperature range we deal with up here from -40 to 100F. I found 15W40 made my ATVs hard to turn over during real cold days in winter. The blend works well for all seasons.

Never a problem using it in anything and I have a lot of small engines, many of them fairly old and still running strong.

From my experience, HDEO is ideal for air cooled engines.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Weird... The Delvac in my Porsche is doing just fine.

so is my Mercedes on hdeo 15w40

I don't want to disagree with a few of the comments in this thread... but

regarding the OP's decision to go with a Castrol hd40, this is a ROBUST oil by any measure, the viscosity is nearly a 50 weight and it exceeds all API requirements for SM

it is shear stable and while it may not be as good as the vanguard 15w50 syn, the difference would be negligible, if recommended oil change intervals are followed

OP please post a UOA of from your motor

Originally Posted By: lukejo
You won't beat Amsoil 10w-40 Small Engine Oil.
NOACK of 3.7. Yep, 3.7.
Loaded with way more zinc and anti-wear additives than the automotive oils listed above...even includes rust inhibitors for OPE that sits for long periods.
We use this in our commercial zero-turns in lawn maintenance business. Hours of high heat and high stress use on 60" decks. Air cooled. Have yet to have a Kawasaki burn any of this oil.

I agree 100%

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
If only Amsoil didn't sell their product like Mary Kay, they seem to make some decent products..

I don't get why this bothers people. I go online, buy my oil just as I would from Amazon, and it gets delivered to my door. Yes, someone gets a small cut of this based on an ID number I put in years ago...(just happened to be Pablo because he gave it to me on here). I don't know the man, but would just as soon he gets the "middle man" cut than Walmart or AutoZone gets on other brands. I understand some people don't want to order online, which is fine. For most Americans though, it is very convenient. Yes, by having to order online, one must wait a few days for shipping. Well, for me, I already know that the grass will grow sometime in 2018 and that I'll do oil changes sometime in 2018...no need for an urgent, last second trip to AZ for mower oil. Sorry, getting off topic...
Based on online ordering above, can someone explain why it irks them to give a middle individual a cut versus paying it to Wamart?
(BTW, I'm not affiliated with Amsoil...and only use their products presently in our commercial mowers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back