Recommend an oil/weight for Lawn Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use straight 30 in my 24 hp B&S. Any name brand on sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls

OP please post a UOA of from your motor

Sure, but that won't be at least till next year!

LOL

I will spend many a sleepless night waiting for the TBN to be disclosed

"I don't get why this bothers people. "

What bothers me is paying three to four times the price for virtually no added protection under 99% of operating conditions.

By using boutique oils will that increase the life of an engine by a margin of three to four hundred percent vs. a quality conventional oil? I doubt it very much.

There may be conditions where a premium synthetic oil will have added value/protection. However, that would be very extreme conditions, very much unlike those encountered by day to day OPE owners.

Anyone with an understanding of basic economics will easily recognize that the value simply isn't there to pay that kind of money for an oil that will be underutilized.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

What bothers me is paying three to four times the price for virtually no added protection under 99% of operating conditions.

By using boutique oils will that increase the life of an engine by a margin of three to four hundred percent vs. a quality conventional oil? I doubt it very much.

There may be conditions where a premium synthetic oil will have added value/protection. However, that would be very extreme conditions, very much unlike those encountered by day to day OPE owners.

Anyone with an understanding of basic economics will easily recognize that the value simply isn't there to pay that kind of money for an oil that will be underutilized.

You're quoting me, but apparently didn't read the thread. I said I don't get why the "Mary Kay" (MLM I assume) bothers people. I agree with every point you made here.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

You're quoting me, but apparently didn't read the thread. I said I don't get why the "Mary Kay" (MLM I assume) bothers people. I agree with every point you made here.

The Mary Kay aspect doesn't bother me. The exorbitant price does.

I've never bought and never will buy Amsoil at those prices, so, how it's sold means nothing to me.

15w oil will be peanut butter until it warms up,
I prefer a 5W or 0W...

I got a pail of Rotella T6 in 0w-40, for just under $50...
$2.50 a quart...

Amsoil is $10-$12...

My T5 10W-30 was even cheaper, $1.60 for two and a half gallons...

Both are SN rated diesel oils...

When you start using a Wix 51773 filter, things are getting serious....

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky, the "engine" for my reel lawn mower is me so all I need for lubricant is a decent IPA beer when I'm done mowing
lol.gif
banana2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I prefer a 5W or 0W...

So a guy from Texas has to worry about the cold start differences of 15W40 vs 5W40 vs 0W40 for a lawn mower engine?

If that's what you want to believe...

He chose straight 40 weight (an excellent choice) . If 15W40 is peanut butter, the straight 40 weight must be like frozen ice cream.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I prefer a 5W or 0W...

So a guy from Texas has to worry about the cold start differences of 15W40 vs 5W40 vs 0W40 for a lawn mower engine?

If that's what you want to believe...

He chose straight 40 weight (an excellent choice) . If 15W40 is peanut butter, the straight 40 weight must be like frozen ice cream.

LOL it will not, most mono grade oils would easily pass as a (example 15/25 W 40)

this 40W has a pour point of -24C

http://www.bosslubricants.com/viewproductdetails/single-grade-bxhd-diesel-engine-oil

Amsoil is not 3-4 times the cost of a comparable synthetic oil.

"Amsoil is not 3-4 times the cost of a comparable synthetic oil."

I never have never and never will buy or use synthetic oil of any brand due to price vs. performance. I'll buy synthetic if it's priced similarly to conventional oil, otherwise, I neither need it nor want it at three to four times the price of very good conventional oils.

Think about it. Three to five times the cost of a decent brand name oil for only a minor percentage in performance advantage for the vast majority of lubrication applications. The value simply isn't there.

I never have never and never will buy or use synthetic oil of any brand due to price vs. performance. I'll buy synthetic if it's priced similarly to conventional oil, otherwise, I neither need it nor want it at three to four times the price of very good conventional oils.

Think about it. Three to five times the cost of a decent brand name oil for only a minor percentage in performance advantage for the vast majority of lubrication applications. The value simply isn't there.

You can't compare apples to oranges here.

Of course conventional is cheaper than Amsoil signature series synthetic, the Amsoil signature can also be used 3-5 times longer depending on your oci.

A fair comparison would be comparing Mobil 1 Annual protection to Amsoil Signature, and you would find the price is not far off at all.

If you don't use synthetic, I don't know why you are even commenting or complaining about the price of Amsoil, since you wouldn't buy it if it was the same price as Supertech synthetic.

Originally Posted By: cronk

You can't compare apples to oranges here.

Of course conventional is cheaper than Amsoil signature series synthetic, the Amsoil signature can also be used 3-5 times longer depending on your oci.

A fair comparison would be comparing Mobil 1 Annual protection to Amsoil Signature, and you would find the price is not far off at all.

If you don't use synthetic, I don't know why you are even commenting or complaining about the price of Amsoil, since you wouldn't buy it if it was the same price as Supertech synthetic.

My point is that for general/normal use, conventional oil will do the job in the vast majority of OPE applications.

Synthetics aren't necessary at all until operating conditions are very extreme. So, for all intents and purposes, there's no need to pay 3 to 5 times the price for synthetic oil when conventional oil will do just fine.

Get it?

As a footnote, the world seemed to operate just fine before synthetic oil and would probably get along quite nicely today without it other than a few extreme applications. I'd say that marketing has created the demand vs. reality.

The question is not whether synthetics are better than conventional,
Instead what’s your time worth?

Assuming that to change your oil takes an hour, from buying it to dumping the waste off...
Conventional, 3-4 changes verses one for synthetic...

2,500-3000 miles verses 7,500-10,000
Or as I was taught in the military, 50 hours verses 200...

the world seemed to operate just fine before synthetic oil and would probably get along quite nicely today without it other than a few extreme applications.

That's not reality at all. Motor oil up until the 1970's was terrible frankly and marginally made it 2K-3K miles. Even the 1970's oils and especial VI's were not very good. Then synthetic oils started popping up. Call them a novelty, I don't care, but synthetic motor oils definitely drove improvement of motor oil. All was not well back then.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No Diesel engine oil in a gas engine!

Weird... The Delvac in my Porsche is doing just fine.

Which Delvac? DELVAC1300 is Spark and Compression/commercial mixed fleet rated..

Never had the need for a HD40 in a Wasserboxer, and the few times I tried them the engine ran MUCH WORSE with less power and fuel mileage than ILSAC PCMO.. Same with my 350 HP SBC hot rod motors. I will Admit to blending 10w30 triple protect with Shell SM 5w30. for the older Subaru EJ that wanted a higher HTHS tha wimp ILSAC 5w30 - But triple 10w30 was not a heavy duty 40 grade diesel oil.

I don't have an air cooled Porsche 6.

"That's not reality at all."

Pablo:

Please do tell me, how I and millions of others get by without using synthetic oil?

Would the world come to a grinding halt without it? Not hardly.

By the way, twice the mileage is hardly worth four or five times the price. See the economics problem there?

"That's not reality at all."

Pablo:

Please do tell me, how I and millions of others get by without using synthetic oil?

Would the world come to a grinding halt without it? Not hardly.

That isn't at all what I wrote or was responding to. Thanks for the partial quote. Seems like you just want to argue rather than think.

Again, your footnote:

As a footnote, the world seemed to operate just fine before synthetic oil and would probably get along quite nicely today without it other than a few extreme applications. I'd say that marketing has created the demand vs. reality.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
That's not reality at all. Motor oil up until the 1970's was terrible frankly and marginally made it 2K-3K miles. Even the 1970's oils and especial VI's were not very good. Then synthetic oils started popping up. Call them a novelty, I don't care, but synthetic motor oils definitely drove improvement of motor oil. All was not well back then.

You wrote the world was fine without synthetic oil and would be fine without, basically ever. You provided no proof of your thought, I contend your thought is incorrect. Yes, conventional would have had to improve, which it did, driven rapidly by new engine designs and excellent synthetic oils that are not 4-5X the cost of conventional oils, which you keep repeating - just apparently to be argumentative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back