Recommend a dash cam?

I want a dash cam with front and rear cameras. Any recommendations? I’m comfortable using my iPhone as the interface so I don’t have to have one with a screen.

Have had this I think 6 mos now and it’s gotten cheap, as low as $116 and $129 today. I paid $150 and am satisfied….

Front and rear in Lexus, front only in wife’s suv…

I've owned a Viofo a139 for a couple months. Excellent front cam, ok rear cam. Fantastic array of settings that will satisfy any need, and a great smartphone interface.

Thinkware U3000. What sold this particular unit for me was the Radar Parking Mode which draws very little power when the vehicle is off.

Not to get off topic, but-
My advise is to get a dash-cam BEFORE you need it.

My nephew was driving down the road and kids were throwing stones at cars.
His truck was hit, police were called, and the parents were uncooperative.
My nephew had no dash-cam.

My brother was stopped at a stop-sign and another driver came around the corner and hit his car.
His wife was injured, and the other driver took off.
My brother had no dash-cam.

Same brother had an accident last week. The other driver pulled in front of him, and he hit her.
Repair estimates are between $1,300 and $3,500. (other driver at fault).
My brother is going with the 'lowest' estimate and he's willing to let other driver pay him cash.
He has a Subaru and I know he's going to get burned.
My brother had no dash-cam.

It's a different world out there.
When will people learn ? ? ?
GET A DASH-CAM

Last edited:
Not to get off topic, but-
My advise is to get a dash-cam BEFORE you need it.
.. ...

It's a different world out there.
When will people learn ? ? ?
GET A DASH-CAM
I was travelling at night in the rain on a 2 lane non-medianed state highway. A guy pulled out RIGHT in front of me from a side entrance to a Hotel. I crashed bad into a telephone pole avoiding T-boning his female passenger. He stopped for a second then took off. I didn't get the plate # as I was now in the back seat of my little car that had spun and crashed.

NO Dashcam but it would likely not have recorded his tag. This was 40 years ago.

More congested roads with 50% more people on them, but this kind of stuff has been happening since the roaring twenties!

My advice would be to have at it with a cam- as long as it is not distracting.

I see on YT dashcam crash videos, many times people involved are often listening to loud music or books on tape.

I have severe A.D.D. so typically no music or radio when moving in my car.

- Ken

I know it’s late but I have a Rexing V1 just a single channel but I have had no issues with it. My wife had a Viofo A119 the first gen model. We both had those dash cams but hers quit working for some reason so I put mine in her car and bought the Rexing one just to try it out.

Both suit my needs. Both have capacitors instead of batteries so the extreme heat/cold doesn’t bother them.

I have mine hardwired in fuse box, and hers has my old OBD power cable. Around $50 a piece for the cameras. I don’t have the need for $200-400 cameras

Get what is affordable to you. Most won't get a plate number anyways on anything moving...

During the day, any dashcam can easily see plates - especially if the collision involves you as the driver. At night it's a toss up whether you get a plate or not. Those are not explicit reasons to get a dash cam since it can help put the blame on a specific party and not he-said-she-said.

YT video quality sucks anyways.

Ordered this one from Viofo. Didnt know it was being shipped from China. Got a extra gps mount for another car but mostly for the RV. The rv seems to be a problem magnet. If it warms up I'll stick up the mount on the 2nd vehicle.. cheap enough, small and easily moved but can't recommend it yet.
IMG_2246.jpeg

Ordered this one from Viofo. Didnt know it was being shipped from China. Got a extra gps mount for another car but mostly for the RV. The rv seems to be a problem magnet. If it warms up I'll stick up the mount on the 2nd vehicle.. cheap enough, small and easily moved but can't recommend it yet.
View attachment 196549

I have one of those. You made a good decision, no external modules needed (except if you want constant power for parking mode) and good video quality despite being superseded by a few years.

Back