Rebuild/refresh old compressor or buy new.

I've had this Sears compressor for about 10 years and I'm the 2nd owner, definitely has some years on it.

This is a 5HP 220V model and still works pretty good. The tag on the tank says it's certified by DeVilbiss so I'm also curious who made these Craftsmans.
Screenshot_20230604-170753_Gallery.jpg

My concerns are while it fills up at a decent rate, it's slightly slow and will likely need new rings or more.

Next is the age of the tank, has a couple rust spots on the exterior but I have no idea of the overall integrity as I didn't buy it new.

If I could get a new tank and try some fresh rings or whatever is needed for the cylinder rebuild I may go that route.

New models that have this SCFM are like anything else...expensive.

Curious if anyone has worked on this model before, all thoughts are welcome. Are they worth rebuilding or should I go for a newer/used model, if so, would an IR be a safe bet or what says the consensus here?

"so I'm also curious who made these Craftsmans."

Get the sears part number for it and the first number in it will tell you. There are a number of tool related websites where you can look up the Sears manufacturers code numbers. Google is your friend.

Maybe you need to replace the Start/run capacitor.
The motor runs great, starts right up.

I just feel it's not filling the tank as quickly as it should...filter is clean also.

Model # is 919.175960

I've had this Sears compressor for about 10 years and I'm the 2nd owner, definitely has some years on it.

This is a 5HP 220V model and still works pretty good. The tag on the tank says it's certified by DeVilbiss so I'm also curious who made these Craftsmans.
I'm pretty sure that it is manufactured by DeVilbiss compressors based upon that tag.

I have a similar unit that was floating in my tool shed after Hurricane Sandy.
The unit was upside down and the motor completely submerged in salt water for, at least, a couple days.
It was wheels up.
I changed the oil and it fired right up but it is noisy as he!!. The tank safety valve will now
activate at 60 or so psi. I can get it to pump my 90 psi trailer tires if I push the safety valve
back in but it only holds for a moment unless I tape it closed. The tape never makes it past 85 or so
the trailer tires never get to see max air. I always drain the tank petcock and look for signs of rust.
I use it to fill tires, water toys.
Use it 'til it dies.
Mine was resuscitated and still works.

I have the same model only much older. My tank rusted through so I'm looking for a used replacement.

Mine has mega hours on it but still runs very good. Might be slower but I haven't really noticed. I wasn't able to source parts for mine, although I didn't look that hard because only the tank needs replacement.

I have two other smaller compressors so I'm in no hurry.

Back