Real world tests to show Amsoil is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: used_0il
ronp;
Read post #3552808 and let us know your thoughts on the topic.

It was pretty informative.

Change your oil when it needs changing and any decent synthetic will do.

I have gotten 300,000 miles with dino Castrol 20W50 and 3000 mile oil changes. Todays engines have better surface finish, less friction, better materials etc...

I would tell your friend that he should either drop the oil harassment or buy you the oil of his choice and give it too you free of charge! LOL

Your water pump,alternator,transmission,wheel bearing, sheet metal will all fail long before your piston rings, and cam lobes wear oil due to the oils make up.

Filtration, Clean Oil, Fuel Control those are far more important then oil make up in most modern applications.

Originally Posted By: ronp
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Quote:

You don't see an indication of base stocks from a PDS becasue this information is contained in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). If you look at thse documents for M1 products you'll find the PAO (Group IV) base stock % in the c. 25-65% range, with M1 EP 0w-20 the highest. Look for the component "1-decene homopolymer..."

And I confess I don't know what "poam" is, but I doubt Mobil1 has any of it. The point is that M1 is a lot more than just
Group III as you have assumed.

I just tried to look for the PAO%, it's not on the MSDS for M1 0W40

It is, just not the American one. It is 50-60% PAO in the most recent MSDS.

Could you provide some data to validate your claim. I seem to be missing it?

Exxon-Mobil has more market share of synthetic oil in US and probably worldwide for many years, not because they water down their best selling product to sell at deep discount.

So bigger is better? Is WalMart better cuz it's bigger? How bout my aunt bertha? She really big so she must be better too? Lol

Last edited:
So bigger is better? Is WalMart better cuz it's bigger? How bout my aunt bertha? She really big so she must be better too? Lol

Well, bigger volume = cheap and easy to get.

No offense to Big Bertha.

Yes, most of the times.

Amazon is big because they have almost anything you can buy online, they also have very efficient shipping and low price on many items. They also have 1 of the best customer service of any online retailer. They didn't become so big for lousy service or junk products at high price.

Any company that dominates market for a particular product for many years, I am pretty sure that particular product is better than most, at least it is as good as any.

If you think Mobil 1 isn't as good as other synthetic on the shelf, please prove it. Don't you know that Mobil 1 is the best selling synthetic oil in US for many years ? Why they are number 1 ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yes, most of the times.

Amazon is big because they have almost anything you can buy online, they also have very efficient shipping and low price on many items. They also have 1 of the best customer service of any online retailer. They didn't become so big for lousy service or junk products at high price.

No I couldn't prove

Any company that dominates market for a particular product for many years, I am pretty sure that particular product is better than most, at least it is as good as any.

If you think Mobil 1 isn't as good as other synthetic on the shelf, please prove it. Don't you know that Mobil 1 is the best selling synthetic oil in US for many years ? Why they are number 1 ?

Mc Donald's I the biggest restaurant and honestly their food is terrible compared to so many others.

It's the reason my aunt bertha is so big too. Lol

I'm sure m1 is fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Good questions...I was interested in 5W-30, and the PQIA tested Amsoil OE (unfortunately way back in March 2013). Didn't mean to generalize about all Amsoil products!

Your climate doesn't really need great cold weather numbers, but if you wanted them bad enough, you could find some pretty good numbers with Amsoil. And, even the examples that aren't great are more than sufficient for your climate.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Good questions...I was interested in 5W-30, and the PQIA tested Amsoil OE (unfortunately way back in March 2013). Didn't mean to generalize about all Amsoil products!

Your climate doesn't really need great cold weather numbers, but if you wanted them bad enough, you could find some pretty good numbers with Amsoil. And, even the examples that aren't great are more than sufficient for your climate.

We ski a lot in the Whites and have to park outside overnight when we do...-20F is not uncommon and we may have touched -30F here and there. That's right in the range of the -30C cold viscosity test, so I am very interested in that number!

Last edited:
That's right in the range of the -30C cold viscosity test, so I am very interested in that number!

MRV is more important than CCS anyhow, and the former is tested at -35 C for 5w-XX grades. Of course, any 0w-XX will be better than any 5w-XX at those limits.

Garak, and of course if you are in those temperatures, you'd pick an oil that was at least rated for them rather than the best of the next most tropical range.

That's right in the range of the -30C cold viscosity test, so I am very interested in that number!

MRV is more important than CCS anyhow, and the former is tested at -35 C for 5w-XX grades. Of course, any 0w-XX will be better than any 5w-XX at those limits.

Poked around on the web and wasn't able to find MRV numbers for Mobil 1 or Amsoil OE in 5W-30...can't say I did a truly exhaustive search, though. Interestingly enough, Amsoil did claim a slightly lower pour point than Mobil 1, I think by one degree C...???
I've been happy with my Mobil 1 5W-30 cold starts, but maybe I will think about running OW-30 in the dead of winter...not sure if they carry that weight at MalWart? Couldn't find NOACK for it on the Mobil website, but that would be less of a concern in winter, anyway.

Poked around on the web and wasn't able to find MRV numbers for Mobil 1 or Amsoil OE in 5W-30...can't say I did a truly exhaustive search, though. Interestingly enough, Amsoil did claim a slightly lower pour point than Mobil 1, I think by one degree C...???
I've been happy with my Mobil 1 5W-30 cold starts, but maybe I will think about running OW-30 in the dead of winter...not sure if they carry that weight at MalWart? Couldn't find NOACK for it on the Mobil website, but that would be less of a concern in winter, anyway.

My local WMT carries Mobil 1 AFE 0W30. I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems finding it where you are. I have been using it for a few years now and I'm very happy with it.

Did we all just unanimously agree that M1 0W40 is truly one of the best overall (price, quality, availability) again?

Sorry, I got diverted to post#3552808, good read!

Do oils like Royal Purple or Amzoil even own any refineries to make the base oils? Aren't they for the most part just adding their own addpack to base oils they are purchasing from one of the major oil companies?

I'll stick to the big boys and get it from the source. BP=Castrol, Shell, Exxon-Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Do oils like Royal Purple or Amzoil even own any refineries to make the base oils? Aren't they for the most part just adding their own addpack to base oils they are purchasing from one of the major oil companies?

I'll stick to the big boys and get it from the source. BP=Castrol, Shell, Exxon-Mobil.

You probably knew this, but Royal Dutch Shell also owns Pennzoil and Quaker State.

Originally Posted By: Justin251

You probably knew this, but Royal Dutch Shell also owns Pennzoil and Quaker State.

Yes, I know.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
ronp;
Read post #3552808 and let us know your thoughts on the topic.

It was pretty informative.

3552808, here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3552808/4
should be required reading at the front of BITOG before anybody posts anything. It does reveal a bit of self-aggrandizement, but not much, and not too untypical of talented PhD types anyway. Truth is there. Read it and Mobil1 0w-40 becomes viable in almost anything you own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back