Real world tests to show Amsoil is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: TFB1
This guy claims he knows which oils are best, whether true or not it is interesting... One thing for sure, no one individual has tested a fraction of the oils he has. His ranking of M1 5W-30 is #11 while Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series ranked #13, that's out of 159 oils tested, some with the Prolong oil additive... Neither the M1 or Amsoil were "doctored". Copied from this post(looooong). https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
Ugh that POS again... "Tested' with a test largely irrelevant to PCMO.
+1 - fairly meaningless in the PCMO world as the 4 ball test does not apply to engine oil, but gear type oils as noted by Mobil and other oil companies.

Originally Posted By: CT8
If Big Al says His oil is the best it is. He is not called Big Al for nothing.

happydays-al-now-390x400.jpg

Please don't mention Walmart-EVER! My local Walmart is crowded enough. And all the local mechanics buy their oil from Walmart because I am told it's even cheaper (or the same prices) as bulk oil they can get.

So don't mention WALMART!

They are being held accountable----all the way to the bank!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: kschachn
This guy claims he knows which oils are best, whether true or not it is interesting... One thing for sure, no one individual has tested a fraction of the oils he has. His ranking of M1 5W-30 is #11 while Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series ranked #13, that's out of 159 oils tested, some with the Prolong oil additive... Neither the M1 or Amsoil were "doctored". Copied from this post(looooong). https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
Ugh that POS again... "Tested' with a test largely irrelevant to PCMO.
+1 - fairly meaningless in the PCMO world as the 4 ball test does not apply to engine oil, but gear type oils as noted by Mobil and other oil companies.

He claims it's a test he developed and not a four ball test... The guy does have some decent credentials... No four ball test I've seen measures in SQUARE INCHES...

Quote:

The test procedure I use is a rubbing friction test under load, which generates a wear scar on a test specimen that is bathed in the oil being tested. The result is “pounds” of force being applied over the wear scar “area”, which is in square inches. Or in other words, pounds per square inch, which of course is just shortened to “psi”. The better an oil’s wear protection capability, the smaller the wear scar will be on the test specimen, and the higher the resulting psi value will be.

The motor oil “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” I performed to generate my “Wear Protection Ranking List”, is worst case torture testing, using oil testing equipment that is for the record, NOT a “One Armed Bandit” tester and NOT a “4-Ball Wear Tester”. My testing subjects the oil to far more severe loading than even the most wicked flat tappet race engine ever could. So, since my oil testing compares various oils under worst case conditions, absolutely no further testing is required in a running engine. If oils rank higher in my “Wear Protection Ranking List” than the oil you currently use, those higher ranked oils will provide a HIGHER LEVEL OF WEAR PROTECTION than your current oil. It’s really that simple.

This is real world testing:

"Taking oil for a test drive
About 500 blends a month are created at the center. Each blend consists of 15 to 20 different components on average, and by volume breaks down as 75-85 percent base stocks and 15-25 percent wear additives and friction modifiers. Real-world testing begins in the motor shop, where blends are run in cradled engines to obtain high-speed, high-load and high-temperature performance numbers. After testing, engines are disassembled and digital microscopes are used to inspect part surfaces for wear.

In another area of the center, vehicles of every make and model are strapped to dynamometers to test oil blends, sometimes against competitive brands. Cycles can be custom-programmed to generate data for high speeds, stop-and-go traffic, long durations, or any combination of driving conditions.

Production equipment at the plant can blend up to 300 gallons per minute and dispense Mobil oil into anything ranging from plastic quart bottles to tank railcars. From Paulsboro, the oil carries more than 40 years of research and development to consumers, shops and race teams around the world, delivering an advanced formula that’s proven to keep engines running like new."

"At the ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company (EMRE), our technical center and blend plant in Paulsboro, New Jersey, scientists and engineers use a wealth of experience and resources to carefully select and combine components to maximize synthetic oil’s capabilities. Because our global manufacturing is a controlled process, our technical experts are able to achieve a fully balanced formulation that ensures outstanding engine protection and performance."

"Here at ExxonMobil, we have a separate company dedicated to research. ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company (EMRE) continues to push the boundaries of fuel and lubricant product research to enable innovation. Our goal: to continue to provide protection and enhanced performance for our customers’ vehicles and equipment.

In our state-of-the-art facilities in Paulsboro, New Jersey, top engineers work in world-class laboratories developing new products and continually performance-testing and refining the entire range of ExxonMobil products. These chemists and engineers work with the latest rigs, engines and vehicle-testing capabilities to understand real-world operating conditions. They are also dedicated to experimentation, leading to new materials and new product discovery."

In the last 3 decades, using Mobil 1 (Preferred for price and availability) I have not managed to wear out an engine.....And I keep my stuff a long time. In that time, I have run 6 vehicles over 250k miles each. A couple of them, over 300k. None of them measurably consumed oil.

So......How much better does an oil need to be? If engines can be run indefinitely without appreciable wear that you can attribute to the oil....."Better" is a moot point.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
After reading some of these postings maybe we should hold a lottery to guess when ronp will pop again with another new name.

That's a great idea. I can add another person to that list that pops up with a few different names. Some people just can't stay away.

It is so immature for somebody to keep coming back to this website or any website with different user names after being banned. It is like a high school kid trying to get around blocked websites by using proxy servers.

How hard is it to just follow the rules and not get banned? I have been here about 12 years and I have received something like one or two verbal warnings. The internet troll, who comes to this website and several more, has been banned here something like 9-10 times with different user names.

What is really funny are the guys promoting a product and they may start promoting that product with their first post! Do they really think we are that stupid? They should at least wait until they have a few posts before they try to promote some product. Even the internet troll we have is smart enough to do that.

I realize there are guys here who believe in Amsoil and those who do not. I am not trying to fight with anybody. I tried Amsoil once. I started to get some small leaks and I really was not all that impressed. So I went back to using Mobil 1. That is my honest experience.

Thank you for that post Buster.

Do the chemical engineers in the petroleum industry
share information?

It would appear that if not, there would be millions
of dollars spent in overlapping R+D costs.

He claims it's a test he developed and not a four ball test... The guy does have some decent credentials... No four ball test I've seen measures in SQUARE INCHES...

Uh-huh.

Well, maybe he can market it to the ASTM then.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Quote:

You don't see an indication of base stocks from a PDS becasue this information is contained in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). If you look at thse documents for M1 products you'll find the PAO (Group IV) base stock % in the c. 25-65% range, with M1 EP 0w-20 the highest. Look for the component "1-decene homopolymer..."

And I confess I don't know what "poam" is, but I doubt Mobil1 has any of it. The point is that M1 is a lot more than just Group III as you have assumed.

I just tried to look for the PAO%, it's not on the MSDS for M1 0W40

It is, just not the American one. It is 50-60% PAO in the most recent MSDS.

Thank you buster, I guess R&D budget is PHATT at a company like Exxon/Mobil.

Yes, when you are worth 1/2 a trillion dollars your R&D budget can indeed be massive. The economies of scale at work.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quote:

You don't see an indication of base stocks from a PDS becasue this information is contained in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). If you look at thse documents for M1 products you'll find the PAO (Group IV) base stock % in the c. 25-65% range, with M1 EP 0w-20 the highest. Look for the component "1-decene homopolymer..."

And I confess I don't know what "poam" is, but I doubt Mobil1 has any of it. The point is that M1 is a lot more than just
Group III as you have assumed.

Could you provide some data to validate your claim. I seem to be missing it?

Originally Posted By: ronp
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quote:

And I confess I don't know what "poam" is, but I doubt Mobil1 has any of it. The point is that M1 is a lot more than just
Group III as you have assumed.

Could you provide some data to validate your claim. I seem to be missing it?

I don't make "claims" without qualifying them as such.

Entire thread here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rma#Post3551218

And another thread where I've covered the topic citing numerous PDS's:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3735755/Re:_Oil_recommendations_for_Au#Post3735755

Originally Posted By: used_0il
What will you do with the information if/when you receive it?

Lol, yet another bizarre response. Uh,,,lets see, hmmm maybe ill read it to validate his claim as my question stated.

Overkill, so is this m1 product available in the states now or would a guy have to order it from Europe? I dunno that a guy would save any money in that case over buying a boutique product.
That's very interesting though

Originally Posted By: ronp
Overkill, so is this m1 product available in the states now or would a guy have to order it from Europe? I dunno that a guy would save any money in that case over buying a boutique product.
That's very interesting though

Same product globally, so yes, it is the same oil you can buy at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back