Z-ROD Rust & Corrosion Inhibitors?

I have three old Corvettes that sometimes are not driven for a month or more at a time, especially during the winter months.

I was on the Amsoil sight reading over their oil descriptions and noticed "Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long-term storage."

I hadn't even considered that one all might be better than another for my cars because of it's corrosion inhibitors. The HTHS of Z-ROD 10w40 is 4.3 which is close to the 4.5 of Mobil 1 15w50 that I'm currently using.

I do take all of my cars for a 40+ minute drive at least once a month, but occasionally that doesn't occur. So my questions are - is rust and corrosion genuinely something to be concerned about? And, would Amsoil Z-ROD 10w40 actually protect against corrosion better than M1 15w50?

Thanks for your help!

1694208102252.jpg

I have used many Amsoil products in the past, and do not see much advantage between them and off the shelf stuff, especially in your case whereas you dont drive them much. But, they do make a good product. I like some of their non lube stuff aswell, like the Miracle Wash and Mudslinger. They work well. The miracle wash might be worth looking into for you, of course to limit water on the vettes.

Of course some pictures of these vettes would be great.

I have never seen any sealed engine get torn down and reveal rust internally, even after sitting for periods of years.

20230216_103543.jpg

This was under the front valve cover on my buddy's Can Am ATV Rotax V-Twin. It was sitting a lot and only getting moved around occasionally.

Hard to see, but there is some light rust on the roller at the top of the picture.

what happend to the bronze wheels?
The bronze wheels are one of our sets of track / autocross wheels, they have 200 tw tires on them. There’s an autocross track at Carlisle and my son and I wanted to drive some laps on it, so we put the bronze wheels on the 89 before heading up to Corvettes at Carlisle. The white wheels have basically brand new tires on them.

They did come out amazing. $13,000 for the car and both sets of wheels and tires. $12,500 if I can keep the white set. I’m in Roanoke, Virginia.

The car has a black label ZF6 transmission too:

From Hib Halverson
The early ZFs (black label 89-93.5), had an input torque rating of 450 lb/ft, and late ZFs (93.5-96), with a 400 lb/ft. rating. This is a significant difference as the helix angle on the gears is different. This was done to make the transmission quieter. The original ZF was developed with the LT5 Turbo project in mind. When the turbo project was killed, there was no need for such a high input torque rating. With all the complaints about gear rattle in neutral and first gear growl, GM decided to increase the helix angle to quiet the trans. Of course, increasing the helix angle, decreased the strength of the gears, hence the lower input torque rating.
IMG_8053.jpeg

I have three old Corvettes that sometimes are not driven for a month or more at a time, especially during the winter months.

I was on the Amsoil sight reading over their oil descriptions and noticed "Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long-term storage."

I hadn't even considered that one all might be better than another for my cars because of it's corrosion inhibitors. The HTHS of Z-ROD 10w40 is 4.3 which is close to the 4.5 of Mobil 1 15w50 that I'm currently using.

I do take all of my cars for a 40+ minute drive at least once a month, but occasionally that doesn't occur. So my questions are - is rust and corrosion genuinely something to be concerned about? And, would Amsoil Z-ROD 10w40 actually protect against corrosion better than M1 15w50?

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 177524

I think corrosion is more of a concern for vehicles that get parked for months at a time, especially in a damp environment. If your cars are parked inside and driven monthly that is a lot better than something being parked all winter in the Northeast. Z-Rod is a great oil, but its value for your application will depend on how the vehicles are stored/used.

*That white corvette with the bronze wheels is a looker, nice!

They did come out amazing. $13,000 for the car and both sets of wheels and tires. $12,500 if I can keep the white set. I’m in Roanoke, Virginia.

The car has a black label ZF6 transmission too:

From Hib Halverson
The early ZFs (black label 89-93.5), had an input torque rating of 450 lb/ft, and late ZFs (93.5-96), with a 400 lb/ft. rating. This is a significant difference as the helix angle on the gears is different. This was done to make the transmission quieter. The original ZF was developed with the LT5 Turbo project in mind. When the turbo project was killed, there was no need for such a high input torque rating. With all the complaints about gear rattle in neutral and first gear growl, GM decided to increase the helix angle to quiet the trans. Of course, increasing the helix angle, decreased the strength of the gears, hence the lower input torque rating.
View attachment 177737
what is you location? general of course.....

edit:

Roanoke? I am an idiot. you are not that far away.

Back