Real milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I drink my coffee with a little whole milk.

I also eat very little cereal, when I do its peanut butter Captain Crunch... which surprisingly both my dogs beg for it after they sampled it.
I use whole milk in my coffee too. My dogs follow my chickens around so I can't use them as an indicator of much.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Most people are buying slim, 1%, and 2% that they were told to buy by big food/FDA. The products now shown to be inferior to whole milk but more profitable.

LOL at bringing up Walmart brand as the last word on food pricing. Or a couple oz of raisins. A bushel(56 lbs) of corn is currently $4. You do the math. That's a lot of corn flakes.

That's the funny thing about food. You don't needs tens of millions of $$$ worth of equipment and trade secrets to produce quality food. You need all that $$$ to turn cheap commodities into something resembling food that people will buy.

I can tell you probably have never been to a dairy farm and definitely don't work in the food industry. Milk is bought on fat content and protein. In cheese production (where most milk is used) a byproduct is whey. They use ultrafiltration to separate it into sweet and protein whey. Protein whey is used in all sorts of products and sweet whey is used in lots of confectionery stuff. So the average dairyman farmer is trying to increase both protein and fat because that is how he makes his money.

Most cereal sold in the US is not strictly corn. Cheerios is the largest brand in the US and last time I checked bulk oats were around 35 cents a lb. And when I mean bulk I am talking several truck loads per day. Sugar is 36-38 cents depending on location. Bulk soybean, palm, canola and other vegetable oils are in the 45-50 cent range. Flavors can be 10 or more dollars a lb so I'm not seeing how a majority of the cereal sold in the US can be anywhere close to 25 cents.

You do need millions. Nothing but stainless used in food production for cereal and most other products. A new oven for baking cookies and crackers is about 1.5 million. A new cereal line depending on what you produce can easily cost 75-100 million. I did a test that we threw away every pound of food (about 10k) and used up 24 hrs of line time and cost over $100k.

Cool story guy. I don't buy that junk so how expensive and cool it is doesn't really concern me. How much are the machines that make flour?

If you had to buy store brand milk,which would be considered the best? And is whole milk always the way to go?

Cool story guy. I don't buy that junk so how expensive and cool it is doesn't really concern me. How much are the machines that make flour?

It may not concern you but don't spew out opinions as fact just because you are against big food companies. No idea on the flour since we buy flour. If you are making it yourself a cheap but fast method is a coffee grinder, however it will be a whole wheat flour. On a large scale a quick Google search says it can be over a million for one wheat milling machine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If you had to buy store brand milk,which would be considered the best? And is whole milk always the way to go?

In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned about USDA numbers. Quite honestly buy the cheapest you can. Milk has a standard of identity in the US meaning that if you label it whole milk for example, it must be a minimum 3.25% milkfat and must be below a certain bacteria count among other things. The processing plant has accepted milk from all over the area, so multiple dairies will be represented in that blend of milk. Every truckload is tested for fat, protein, bacteria, and most importantly taste.

As it turns out most of the store brand stuff is bottled by a name brand bottler. The way to tell is if the USDA plant number matches between store brand and name brand. The first two represent the state it is produced in, and the rest of the numbers is the USDA plant number. So if they are the same do you think that the milk processor keeps the milk separate for all of these different brands? Nope. Same milk, same bottle, different label. Even if the numbers aren't the same all that means is the grocery store doesn't have a contract with the name brand company.

I'm all for buying local milk if you can afford it. Even Promised Land dairy milk which used to be produced just outside San Antonio, Texas, used to be a regional company that made milk with 100% jersey milk and was not separated, homogenized, nothing. Just pastuerized and bottled. They have become a lot bigger and has a really high milkfat content, but it's expensive.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

It may not concern you but don't spew out opinions as fact just because you are against big food companies. No idea on the flour since we buy flour. If you are making it yourself a cheap but fast method is a coffee grinder, however it will be a whole wheat flour. On a large scale a quick Google search says it can be over a million for one wheat milling machine.
Not sure what opinion offended you. The $.25 worth of material in a box of cereal? A bushel(56 lbs?) of corn is running around $4. You do the math. Other grains are very cheap as well.

What should concern you is cereal being promoted as a health food. It's certainly no such thing.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you had to buy store brand milk,which would be considered the best? ...

Quote:
.... Even Promised Land dairy milk which used to be produced just outside San Antonio, Texas, used to be a regional company that made milk with 100% jersey milk ...

Braums ( which may be sort of regional ) used to use exclusively Jersey milk from their own herds, but looking at their website, I see pictures of Holsteins, so maybe they have changed. Their milk is BGH free, and does seem to taste a little richer to me than some of the other "store bought" milk.

When I was in ag school as an undergraduate, the school let the students / public buy the school's meat and dairy products one day a week. The farms output went to supply the dining halls on campus, but there was always surplus. Those of you that are adamant about only buying farm fresh, and live near a university big enough to have a real school of agriculture, might look into this.

Not sure what opinion offended you. The $.25 worth of material in a box of cereal? A bushel(56 lbs?) of corn is running around $4. You do the math. Other grains are very cheap as well.

What should concern you is cereal being promoted as a health food. It's certainly no such thing.

I broke down the math for you in an earlier post. If you can't read that then I can't help. Not all cereals are healthy, but a lot of them are. Cheerios? Number one selling brand in the US and has 1 gram of sugar, 3 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein and only 100 calories for a 1 cup serving size. Main ingredient is oats which has health benefits. Can't get too much better than that for any food.

Cheerios? Number one selling brand in the US and has 1 gram of sugar, 3 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein and only 100 calories for a 1 cup serving size. Main ingredient is oats which has health benefits. Can't get too much better than that for any food.

I just ate two HUGE bowls of Cheerios
laugh.gif

That's right...how many "1 cup servings" do people eat in a serving ? Obviously that doesn't include the milk.

I'd prefer a couple of poached eggs and a slice of sourdough multigrain...plus a bit of lycopene containing tomato sauce.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's right...how many "1 cup servings" do people eat in a serving ? Obviously that doesn't include the milk.

There is some regulation coming that is showing up already depending on how soon a company transitions the product - its dual labeling, meaning that it must show the serving size nutrition label, plus calories for the typical amount consumed. A couple of examples would be a small bag of chips or a 20 oz soda. The serving size for soda is 8 oz, but it will have a second column showing the calories of the entire bottle, which is the amount typically consumed in one sitting.

Something else they are including is a new line for added sugars so the consumer can easily determine the (duh) added sugar content vs natural sugar.

I broke down the math for you in an earlier post. If you can't read that then I can't help. Not all cereals are healthy, but a lot of them are. Cheerios? Number one selling brand in the US and has 1 gram of sugar, 3 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein and only 100 calories for a 1 cup serving size. Main ingredient is oats which has health benefits. Can't get too much better than that for any food.

The main issue with stuff in card board boxes is the additives to create it and to keep it fresh. Modified corn starch and tripotassium phosphate probably aren't the greatest things to eat all the time, and the stuff used to make those isn't good either.
That said, we still have a few boxes of cereal in the house and I don't mind the kids having it once in a while, but the regular breakfast at our place for the kids is usually our eggs and homemade bread, with some tomatoes, or some fruit. No mystery sugar juice.
If you want to eat oats, regular oatmeal is a better way to do it than cheerios IMO.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The main issue with stuff in card board boxes is the additives to create it and to keep it fresh. Modified corn starch and tripotassium phosphate probably aren't the greatest things to eat all the time, and the stuff used to make those isn't good either.
That said, we still have a few boxes of cereal in the house and I don't mind the kids having it once in a while, but the regular breakfast at our place for the kids is usually our eggs and homemade bread, with some tomatoes, or some fruit. No mystery sugar juice.
If you want to eat oats, regular oatmeal is a better way to do it than cheerios IMO.

I see what you are saying and have nothing against it. In the case of Cheerios, the starch (which isn't modified) is merely a dry or wet milled starch, nothing different than milling white flour. Just removing everything except the endosperm. Its used for holding the Cheerio together, just like you use starch at home for making paper mache balloons. Tripotassium phosphate may sound scary but it's a salt (like NaCl) of phosphoric acid. Its used for two reasons - salts of acids are more soluble (so I can use less) and its an emulsifier. Oats are about 6.5% fat, so when its ground into a flour, cooked and extruded into the little circles, there is nothing holding the fat together. The phosphate binds it to the water so the fat doesn't rise to the surface of the circle and become oily/greasy. It also adds potassium and phosphate, both needed by the body.

Additives are added to the food mainly for oxidation, color and flavor and right now a lot of companies have or are switching to no artificial ingredients, including preservatives. Typically natural preservatives were never used in the past because they are more expensive and don't work as good. Seems like on BITOG more people voice that they eat foods that are in general healthier, but for a majority of people they aren't willing to sacrifice taste, especially if the price went up to pay for the higher cost ingredients. Case in point is Trix from General Mills, they switched to all natural and their sales tanked. They brought back the old formula and offer both. Turns out kids and the parents that buy the cereal aren't as concerned about being free from artificials.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, I'm done with almond milk and other garbage. ...

I don't care for the milk substitutes either, although I imagine almond milk would be better if it has more fat (almonds are high in fat, but commercial almond milk barely has any) and less added sweeteners, gums, etc.

It is sad that our public school cafeterias here offer only skim milk (not tasty) or chocolate skim milk (loaded with sugar and HFCS) or sugary 'fruit' juice. My 9-year old complained that at least they used to offer 1% milk but this academic year even that is gone. Our schools only offer children the junkiest drinks.

1 cup of plain Cheerios would have you starvng in 30 minutes. In reality the Cheerio eater is knocking out 40+ grams of carbs a sitting and is starving in an hour. My 3 backyard eggs fried Spanish style in Califoria olive oil will keep me happy for 4-5 hours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, I'm done with almond milk and other garbage. ...

I don't care for the milk substitutes either, although I imagine almond milk would be better if it has more fat (almonds are high in fat, but commercial almond milk barely has any) and less added sweeteners, gums, etc.

It is sad that our public school cafeterias here offer only skim milk (not tasty) or chocolate skim milk (loaded with sugar and HFCS) or sugary 'fruit' juice. My 9-year old complained that at least they used to offer 1% milk but this academic year even that is gone. Our schools only offer children the junkiest drinks.
Total garbage being served at schools. You'll notice the fancy private schools that the people making the rules send their kids don't serve that [censored].

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back