Skim’s not in: Australians switch back to full-fat milk

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
As nutritional understanding evolves, Australians are ditching low-fat dairy products and returning to full cream, Dairy Australia sales data shows.

When I first married in 1975, we moved to the country to a rented farm house. Neighbor a mile away was a dairy farmer. I was an Allis Chalmers tractor mechanic at the time and he had an Allis silage blower. So we kind of got to know each other.

Come fall, the blower would not start on Sunday. He came to our house for advice. I was just outside shooting my .22 rifle, so I said let's go take a quick look at the blower. It was something simple and had it running in no time.

He tried to pay me, but I refused. Some day I will need something and you can help me out. Then he insisted on sending a couple gallons of raw whole milk home with me. Living in town, I had never had that. Must have been 1 1/2" of cream floating on the top! So rich and delicious.

We got all our milk from him after that. Then we moved a couple years later. Back to store bought milk. :mad:
Even whole store milk sucked hind teat (so to speak) after the real stuff. Wish I could find some again. Think I saw on the news Iowa farmers might be able to sell raw milk to consumers again direct. Hope they pass that law.

The one thing I go to Whole Foods for is the Brown Cow brand maple yogurt. It has a cream top and is absolutely delicious…

Raw Goat Milk 5%+ milked everyday on site. I bet I drink a glass maybe 3 times a year I never do but it's absolutely delicious.
20230308_195848.jpg

Raw whole milk makes the best homemade ice cream! I miss those old hand crank makers like Grandma had. That would keep us kids occupied for some time. Grandma was a great cook. Wish I was old enough to pay attention and learn from her.

We had a few goats later on at a different farm. One nanny needed milked twice per day, even after feeding her kids.
My wife could milk her in 1/2 the time it took me.

The Billy goat was another story. He was a handful and mean. We fought a few battles. Neither of us would back down. ;)

Two roosters were also hard on the wife and kids. But that's a different story.

Having worked on a small dairy farm in my teens there's just no way I could drink raw milk. Not that the process was careless or anything just too many ways to get contamination.
I'm 67 years old, who cares at my age?;)

/

Having worked on a small dairy farm in my teens there's just no way I could drink raw milk. Not that the process was careless or anything just too many ways to get contamination.
Maybe thats why people on the dairy farms seem to have great immune systems?

Raw whole milk makes the best homemade ice cream! I miss those old hand crank makers like Grandma had. That would keep us kids occupied for some time. Grandma was a great cook. Wish I was old enough to pay attention and learn from her.

We had a few goats later on at a different farm. One nanny needed milked twice per day, even after feeding her kids.

The Billy goat was another story. He was a handful and mean. We fought a few battles. Neither of us would back down. ;)

I guessing you had to give in before that stinky billy goat did! LOL

I can't find the article but a famous actor or musician died a few years ago from raw milk as have others. It only takes one time. Besides the grass fed organic milk is very good as it doesn't have a plastic taste like cheap milk

I can't find the article but a famous actor or musician died a few years ago from raw milk as have others. It only takes one time. Besides the grass fed organic milk is very good as it doesn't have a plastic taste like cheap milk
Some states you can buy raw milk and most states you can not, dying from raw milk is the last thing I would worry about.

Tried it never liked it. I do have a small 8 or 10 ounce glass of local farm buttermilk daily though.
My Grandpa used to drink buttermilk. I could never stand the stuff.

Maybe once every 10 years, I buy some to see if my tastes have changed. They have not! Yuck.:(

Reactions: GON

Those old wooden hand cranked ice cream makers made the best ice cream! We too made that at our grandparents' house when we were kids (y)

Back