Rattle at startup after switching to 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
I have roller tappets so it is not as big of a deal.

I have roller tappets in my Buick and it specifies 10W-30 !!
grin2.gif

I'd conduct my own experiment. First thing I'd do is change oil filter to what I had before. That would be easy enough. If that didn't fix the rattle, I'd change the oil weight back to what I had been using.

I was using a very well known 0W-30 in my LS400 and it rattled on start up. I kept trying to assure myself that the oil was still protecting my engine. I changed oil viscosity back to 5W-30 and it went away. I have been amazed how different oils, even in same viscosity, can make your engine run/idle quieter.

When engine metal is moving you shouldn't be able to hear it rubbing against itself.. The mere fact that it went away doesn't necessarily mean everything is "AOK." When my car was rattling on start up, my head told me the oil was fine. My head said, "Don't worry about it." On the other hand, my heart told me it wasn't alright. If the rattle keeps "knawing" at you, go with your heart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I have roller tappets so it is not as big of a deal.

I have roller tappets in my Buick and it specifies 10W-30 !!
grin2.gif

Mine spec'd 5W-30, it was a 1990...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The O.P. might consider high mileage 5W-20. My mother's Taurus loves it...

I was considering it.

Any brand reccomendations?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You might try that wet concrete called "10W-30." It might actually quiet your startup rattle better than 5W-20.
grin2.gif

I am considering that as well, as the tempratures here rarely go below 0F

Originally Posted By: Trav
Amazing isn't it that now 10w30 is considered thick oil. LOL
Pretty soon they will be calling MMO oil fortifier.

I know this 5w20 craze is funny .
It has been near 100 degrees for almost 2 weeks, and I am glad I am running 5w40 - no problems at all been doing it for a year now . Switched to it the first oil change - warranty concerns were zero - The oil vs warranty issue is INTERNET baloney

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Does that engine have VVT/Variable valve timing? (think Ford calls it VCT)?

Nope, it is 1980s all the way for the valve train.

Single camshaft, pushrod, roller lifters. Sequental fuel injection and Coil pack ignition are the only changes from the 80s batch fire (multiport) injection and distributor.

Would rotella 10W30 be too out of the question for this engine?

Last edited:

Would rotella 10W30 be too out of the question for this engine?

You're going from one extreme to the other. Just try some regular 10W-30 like Chevron . . . Geez.
grin2.gif

I would suggest 16oz of Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in the next OCI, unless the problem is a defective oil filter. Use a Motorcraft filter next OCI also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back