Rate My Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that's funky, would like to see a pic of that if you don't mind
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Oh that's funky, would like to see a pic of that if you don't mind
smile.gif

Of course I'll update the thread tomorrow with pics of the whole filter housing.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
... Interesting. You can see in your 2nd pic though (of the filter holder?) that the seal on the filter itself is pulling away from the left-hand side of that box.
Yes. That looks like a leak that would bypass unfiltered air. Blowing dirt out of air filters with compressed air often damages the media structure, allowing dirt through.

Was this engine modified to increase airflow? If so, you are trying to pull more air thru than the filter was designed to carry, especially when dirty.

Did the filter get wet at some point? Getting a cellulose filter wet will significantly reduce airflow capacity and cause it to fail if you try to crank lots of air thru.

Though the filter doesn't really look excessively dirty (you said you blew it out) it may have been restricted enough to distort via the extra restriction.

If I were you, I'd install a restriction indicator on the air filter housing. Good maintenance indicator no matter what, but if you are indeed running more air thru via mods, it will tell you how restricted your air filtration system is and if nothing else, tell you when it's time to replace it (which in this case would be earlier than a stock car).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back