Catch can baffle correct location.

On this catch can the baffle is located on the “In” side coming from the PCV valve. Is that the right spot? It seems like it should be on the out? Or is there another reason they put it on that side. Maybe to protect from the stainless steel filter media going back into the engine?

IMG_5290.jpeg

Every one of them I've seen, including the J&L CC I have on my 2022 Nissan Frontier are set up that way.

Becareful and double check to make sure the hoses never collapse or get kinked. Mine did and it caused many problems before I realized the situation.

@LeakySeals I'm confused at your setup.

Catch cans are typically installed between the PCV valve and the PCV valve's vacuum source on the engine's intake manifold.

I've seen setups like you have, where the fresh filtered air inlet side of the PCV system is tapped into the oil fill cap like you have it. Those kits come with a replacement oil fill cap with a hose connection on it.. There's some expensive GM 3.6L kits designed that way.

@LeakySeals I'm confused at your setup.

Catch cans are typically installed between the PCV valve and the PCV valve's vacuum source on the engine's intake manifold.

I've seen setups like you have, where the fresh filtered air inlet side of the PCV system is tapped into the oil fill cap like you have it. Those kits come with a replacement oil fill cap with a hose connection on it.. There's some expensive GM 3.6L kits designed that way.
The 2010-2017 GM 2.4 Ecotec engine uses an orifice PCV system internal to the intake manifold. It gets clogged relatively easy creating a lot of problems. After cleaning the orifice there was still moisture buildup in the PCV clean air tube, which means it’s not efficient enough. Too much pressure forcing blow-by out the clean air side. That’s no good. So I bypassed it with a conventional PCV check valve. in the picture rather than modify the valve cover, I drilled a hole in an aftermarket oil filler cap, installed a PCV valve and grommet, into the catch can, plumbed the output of the catch can into the brake booster line just before it goes back into the intake manifold. Now there is a one-way flow.

So far the clean air side has no moisture problems and the oil consumption has pretty much stopped. I guess you don’t need the high tension ring TSB if you relieve the pressure.

Ah I gotcha. I remember that setup as I had a 2007 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L Ecotec that had the "built in" PCV valve.

So what you added is basically another PCV "valve" to the oil filler cap.

Yours is probably orifice too if it’s built into the valve cover. I actually have that engine in a Malibu classic. It’s a better location, but it can still happen. It’s not causing me any problems so I haven’t looked into it.

But yes, a lot of Chevy equinox owners are protecting themselves from the frozen moisture problem installing catch cans on the clean air side and using the venting oil filler cap. Thats treating the symptoms but not the problem. Look at my other post. You can see what it does. I posted a picture of it. That problem is gone.

The wife is a little mad, because I spent too much money creating 3 different versions of the external PCV. What should have cost a few dollars went way over 100 😂 They all work I should put them on eBay

Back