Ram Jeep "Tornado" Twin Turbo Straight Six Announced

Nobody is trained to handle that much horsepower-unless you have gone to one of the racing schools. You are correct-driven normally it's like any other car-but usually to drive like grandma on the way to the grocery store is not the intention of the purchaser. It's not a matter of "thinking" but "training".
A high horsepower car can be driven normally, in traffic, but the driver has to keep their foot out of it.

My wife has a 500+ HP engine with loads of torque in a 2 seat coupe/roadster. It's a sub 4 second 0-60 car. 1/4 mile in about 12.0.

She avoids being stupid* and it remains safe.

So, I would argue that thinking comes first. Mostly, the thinking is: "should I floor it here"? "should I race this clown next to me?" "should I be going this fast?" and if you're able to answer "NO" - then your thinking is correct.

When we first got the car, we went to a lonely, straight road, with no cars in sight, and I had her floor it from a stop. Really impressive car. Now she knows what it can do, she just choses not to do that at the wrong time. That's thinking.

If she wanted to wring all the performance out of it, on a track, you bet, serious training required. Lots of potential learning and skill development there.

*Stupid comes in many forms. Full throttle acceleration with a fast car on the street. Going faster than traffic flow in traffic. Weaving in and out of traffic. Full throttle power slides on public streets. Racing on public streets. Don't do those dumb things and the car is safe, regardless of maximum horsepower.

I agree. You would think automakers would have learned their lesson about non sleeved Aluminum blocks with the Vega. All it took was a stuck thermostat to send those to the junkyard.
had nothing to do with the bores. alusil ended up in millions of brand new vehicles throughout the 80s 90s and 2000s. the world doesn’t revolve around american automakers

plasma transferred wire arc has been tested over the past 10 years and finally replacing it

Last edited:
had nothing to do with the bores. alusil was widely in millions of brand new vehicles throughout the 80s 90s and 2000s.

plasma transferred wire arc has been tested over the past 10 years and finally replacing it
It basically made the engines junk because they could not be repaired. Severe overheating would break down the silicon content of the Aluminum alloy, leaving soft areas in the cylinder bores that would be quickly scuffed and scored by the pistons. That wouldn't have happened if the bores were sleeved.

The sleeveless aluminum block wasn't problematic in itself, but it did end up making all of the other overheating problems worse. With a traditional iron block or even an aluminum block with cast-iron sleeves, any scuffing meant a block could easily be repaired via honing or boring.

With the Vega's aluminum-silicon block, repair was impossible. Engines would have to be scrapped out, leading some to regard the entire engines as disposable. Not something an automaker wants to be known for producing.

It basically made the engines junk because they could not be repaired. Severe overheating would break down the silicon content of the Aluminum alloy, leaving soft areas in the cylinder bores that would be quickly scuffed and scored by the pistons. That wouldn't have happened if the bores were sleeved.

The sleeveless aluminum block wasn't problematic in itself, but it did end up making all of the other overheating problems worse. With a traditional iron block or even an aluminum block with cast-iron sleeves, any scuffing meant a block could easily be repaired via honing or boring.

With the Vega's aluminum-silicon block, repair was impossible. Engines would have to be scrapped out, leading some to regard the entire engines as disposable. Not something an automaker wants to be known for producing.
these engines could be sleeved if needed and some people did it. nobody cared because it was a vega

Sure. You can do anything. That doesn't mean you can do it cost effectively.
don’t make an engine known for constant overheating. problem solved

time moves on and cast iron sleeves are going bye bye. as are time wasting activities like bottom end servicing in the field LOL

don’t make an engine known for constant overheating. problem solved
I agree..... But at the same time an engine prone to overheating should not trash cylinder walls because of it. If that engine was sleeved from the get go, it would have been a minor problem for Chevy to repair. Instead it turned into an expensive financial disaster. And severely damaged it's reputation as a direct result.

WE have already ascertained that those on BITOG seem to think they are expert drivers-as well as their spouses and relatives.....OK.....
How did you get that out of what I posted?

I didn’t claim expertise, just a lack of stupidity.

Big difference.

"The 300 cu in (4.9 L) six was added for the F-series in 1965".

Been around a while

B6EFA7C7-F253-42E3-9DFA-8ED913259380.jpeg

Nobody is trained to handle that much horsepower-unless you have gone to one of the racing schools. You are correct-driven normally it's like any other car-but usually to drive like grandma on the way to the grocery store is not the intention of the purchaser. It's not a matter of "thinking" but "training".
I have a real-world example that is exactly the opposite in every way to your statement. I have a good friend - she is in her 50's, wealthy, and drives a Hellcat as her daily driver because well, she can. She's had the car for years and she is about as far from a trained race car driver as anyone can be and she has had no problems. I've driven the car a few times now/recently and I did not find it to be an unruly and snarling monster that was difficult to control. It was like driving any other high-horsepower car. To put it into perspective, I have Pedal Commander on my Tundra and the tip-in is more unruly on my Tundra than it is on her Hellcat. No, I did not lay into the throttle since I was on public roads and it is not my ride. I'm sure if you floor it then it's a lot of car to handle but so are lots of +400hp vehicles and those aren't all that uncommon these days.

Last edited:
I have a real-world example that is exactly the opposite in every way to your statement. I have a good friend - she is in her 50's, wealthy, and drives a Hellcat as her daily driver because well, she can. She's had the car for years and she is about as far from a trained race car driver as anyone can be and she has had no problems. I've driven the car a few times now/recently and I did not find it to be an unruly and snarling monster that was difficult to control. It was like driving any other high-horsepower car. To put it into perspective, I have Pedal Commander on my Tundra and the tip-in is more unruly on my Tundra than it is on her Hellcat. No, I did not lay into the throttle since I was on public roads and it is not my ride. I'm sure if you floor it then it's a lot of car to handle but so are lots of +400hp vehicles and those aren't all that uncommon these days.
I think a female in her 50's driving a Hellcat is very much an exception. Wouldn't you think that as well?

They shouldn't have named it the Tornado. That's a special engine that has it's own place in Jeep history.

That said, Ford has wrecked the 5.0L with cylinder deactivation. Junk.
I would likely jump ship if this engine is an option in the Ram. I love the interiors, but both the guitarist and sound guy in my band have new Hemi's and they tick. The sound guy fired up his '20 after an August outside gig and it sounded like a sewing machine.
I had forgotten that one. Never really caught on. This Tornado is likely to have three times the horsepower and twice the torque, so there's that.

I think a female in her 50's driving a Hellcat is very much an exception. Wouldn't you think that as well?
I don't know but that's my n=1 real-world example vs me just guessing the majority of people who buy these are somehow in over their heads because of the HP.

Reactions: CKN

My wife daily drives a Stinger. She does all right. Definitely not supposed to be a winter car though. A couple of weeks ago it was about 40 with rain and then went down to 18*F at night. On her way home from work she couldn't open the gas door and drove home on fumes.
The door was a little bit frozen. The Optima SXL has proven to be a better daily commuter when it comes to weather tolerance.

I think most anyone driving a Hellcat with common sense, and not above their pay grade, is pretty much an exception. Between them and 1+ liter sport bikes, how many live past the warranty without being wrecked?

Back