Ram Jeep "Tornado" Twin Turbo Straight Six Announced

Disappointed that they never turboed the Pentastar. That was supposed to have been a designed in option when it was released.
the F160 was already ready to go and filled the need

a turbo v6 would have been a massive problem in the chrysler jeep dodge ram lineup and probably killed everything else overnight.

right now however is the perfect time to pull the plug on the hemi

Last edited:
right now however is the perfect time to pull the plug on the hemi
Why? They're selling like hotcakes in both Ram pickups, as well as in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not everyone wants a turbo. Gas has been expensive before, and it will be again. People still want, and will buy low mileage, high performance pushrod V-8's. The 5.7 HEMI V-8 has been one of the best selling V-8 engines since it was introduced in 2003, almost 20 years ago.

Why? They're selling like hotcakes in both Ram pickups, as well as in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not everyone wants a turbo. Gas has been expensive before, and it will be again. People still want, and will buy low mileage, high performance pushrod V-8's. The 5.7 HEMI V-8 has been one of the best selling V-8 engines since it was introduced in 2003, almost 20 years ago.
The HEMI is selling like hotcakes because it is the only reasonable engine choice (out of the 3).

In this day and age, the 5.7 HEMI is an extremely dated engine option compared to its competition.

The HEMI is selling like hotcakes because it is the only reasonable engine choice (out of the 3).

In this day and age, the 5.7 HEMI is an extremely dated engine option compared to its competition.
So what? I doesn't matter why it's selling. The fact of the matter is, people are buying them by the thousands because they want them. You don't stop making a product that has had an excellent track record in sales for almost 2 decades. As I said, not everyone wants tiny screaming engines with turbos bolted all over them, stuffed under their hood.

The fact that it's "dated" is also good. People like products with a well proven track record. Especially today with all of the crap the auto industry is turning out. The pushrod V-8 design has proven itself over decades, and literally tens of millions of miles, in millions of vehicles. It's all but the perfect power plant for full size trucks, and large SUV's. The sales numbers prove that.

I like the idea a lot, I wish it was FI though.
27.gif

Looks to be a clean sheet design. Should be interesting to follow.
So basically they're copying the BMW N54 from 2007. :rolleyes:

Assuming it's a closed-deck design the tuning crowd is going to have a field day.

I really enjoy my 2.7 Ecoboost in my F150. I am sure this engine will have similar torque. I like the feel of inline 6 engines.

My car museum will feature a "Hurricane 6" from old Jeeps and one of these new "Tornado 6" side by side.

Yo, wpod, glad you like your Ecoboost. How many miles are on it?

They shouldn't have named it the Tornado. That's a special engine that has it's own place in Jeep history.

That said, Ford has wrecked the 5.0L with cylinder deactivation. Junk.
I would likely jump ship if this engine is an option in the Ram. I love the interiors, but both the guitarist and sound guy in my band have new Hemi's and they tick. The sound guy fired up his '20 after an August outside gig and it sounded like a sewing machine.

Back