Ram Jeep "Tornado" Twin Turbo Straight Six Announced

I agree. But how many are out there? The U.S. and Japanese automakers have gone nuts with ill sounding turbo V-6's. They can make them profitably, and shove them into most anything.

That Norma M20 I posted sounds wonderful. But straight six's are going to be limited, simply because they aren't a good fit in many models. And they keep pushing V-6 turbos.

This new "Tornado" straight six might be the exception to that rule. It remains to be seen. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the now infamous Fiat "Eco Diesel" disaster. It had, and continues to have, nothing but recalls and problems. From slipping, pressed on camshaft gears, to clogged intake manifolds in as little as 60,000 miles.

That engine was pretty much a total disaster. Especially for a, "modern Diesel". Let's hope this "Tornado" accomplishes better reliability, and doesn't come with a rubber band, that keeps pulling it back to the dealer...... If and when it comes out.
All BMWs? They don’t make a V6, they are all I6.

The driver of the RAM in video post #49 (flip over) got a lesson in open diffs vs. LSD. I only hope it was HIS truck.
I trust the driver in video post #53 (drive off from police stop) got a lesson in radio communications.....POLICE RADIO.

I like the idea of a inline 6, but not an aluminum block without sleeves. You can keep that for OPE. When I buy a car, I drive it until it goes to the junk yard.

View attachment 82525
I wont buy a truck with a plastic upper control arm, sorry not happening. thats a structural component that see off axis loads.
Hmm really haven’t thought about it but in my 3/4 ton Chevy the torsion bar and shock absorber are both attached to the lower arm. The upper arm
just helps things keep from twisting. If you can find any shots of the rest of the suspension it might clearer. Interesting.

I found a shot of a Ford Bronco with what looks to be a aluminum upper control arm. Like the Jeep, the bottom control arm takes the vertical loading from the spring and shock absorber and like you mentioned the upper one tales off axis loads.

B30A254B-613F-4657-947E-434DE50CAD9B.png

Last edited:
I like the idea of a inline 6, but not an aluminum block without sleeves. You can keep that for OPE. When I buy a car, I drive it until it goes to the junk yard.
The 2020 Ford Mustang GT 500 has an aluminum block without sleeves I believe. But yes, how long would Jeep expect this engine to last.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a inline 6, but not an aluminum block without sleeves...... When I buy a car, I drive it until it goes to the junk yard.

I agree. You would think automakers would have learned their lesson about non sleeved Aluminum blocks with the Vega. All it took was a stuck thermostat to send those to the junkyard.

Interesting.

Don't think exhaust sound is a non-issue in the truck market, witness the new Raptors exhaust.

I've heard eco boost trucks that sound good, but just cutting the mufflers off isn't the way.

Except sales and longevity.
Don’t kid yourself the only reliable V8 in current 1/2 ton trucks and SUV’s is the Toyota 5.7. The Hemi and LT engines have always had cam and lifter issues. The 5.0 started drinking oil after Ford’s 2018 redesign.

Sure you can. How many guys have killed themselves with the "Hellcats" or equivalent thereof. OH...but there are only expert drivers on this forum!
Ever ride in a Hell Cat? The guy in the next housing tract has one and He has taken me on some rides at WOT , top enders, It is just like a regular car it is controlled by the gas pedal. It is no different than a 600 or 1000 cc crotch rocket. Safe as can be with a rider that thinks.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Don't think exhaust sound is a non-issue in the truck market, witness the new Raptors exhaust.

I've heard eco boost trucks that sound good, but just cutting the mufflers off isn't the way.
V six engines don't sound good.

I agree. You would think automakers would have learned their lesson about non sleeved Aluminum blocks with the Vega. All it took was a stuck thermostat to send those to the junkyard.
Cylinders are still sleeved just not in the traditonal sense. The walls are coated.

Ever ride in a Hell Cat? The guy in the next housing tract has one and He has taken me on some rides at WOT , top enders, It is just like a regular car it is controlled by the gas pedal. It is no different that a 600 or 1000 cc crotch rocket. Safe as can be with a rider that thinks.
Nobody is trained to handle that much horsepower-unless you have gone to one of the racing schools. You are correct-driven normally it's like any other car-but usually to drive like grandma on the way to the grocery store is not the intention of the purchaser. It's not a matter of "thinking" but "training".

It's nowhere near the same.
How so?

The BMW M57 diesel (I6) was sleeveless and it was an aluminium block. It was actually and Al-Si alloy which used an etching process to expose Si at the cylinder walls. That I6 never drank oil.
Beginning around 2015 Catapiller, BMW, Ford, Nissan all use plasma-arc liners.

Back