Rain-X Silicone wiper blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with Rain-X Silicone wiper blades? Came out last year, expensive, no user reviews I can find. Thanks.

I've used Rain-X blades in the past, though I'm not sure if they are the silicone variety.

IMHO, they're fantastic, and I will continue to purchase them.

Originally Posted by faramir9
Anyone have experience with Rain-X Silicone wiper blades? Came out last year, expensive, no user reviews I can find. Thanks.

Avoid them. I installed them on both of our vehicles. One blade failed (would no longer wipe in one direction) within 2 weeks so I exchanged it. The remaining three blades and the replacement blades began streaking and chattering heavily within 6 weeks. Blade separation on one blade occurred within 12 weeks. These blades were by far the worst blades I have ever used. I called and emailed RainX to report my issues and I never got a response.

For reference, Bosch ICONs last between 2 and 3 years on my vehicles.

I have not tried the "Rain X AdvantEdge Silicone Beam Wiper Blades". However, I do like the idea of silicone and beam style blades together.

I do indeed like Rain X Latitude beam style blades and use them more often than not compared to other brands/styles. But, I do like other brands as well especially the beam style for all weather.

I do know that silicone can chatter & hop terribly against the windshield especially as the glass dries. Look at for example the "California Water Blade"(silicone). It's great for whisking water off of your vehicle after washing. However, as paint or glass becomes more dry, the Water Blade can skip, hop & grab instead of slide.

The "NEW" Rain X silicone blades may in fact be doing the same thing especially if the wipers are on INTERMITTENT, where there may not be enough water for them to glide smoothly.

I have heard/read other reviews from users of PIAA silicone blades and they seem to love'em.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Originally Posted by faramir9

For reference, Bosch ICONs last between 2 and 3 years on my vehicles.

How many accumulated miles in 2-3 years?

I had these on my Subie. Used every weekday to clean off dust. As long as you kept the windshield coating applied, they worked great. (I got foil packets with Rain-X formula on them as a prep for the wipers).

Directions also called for keeping the wipers on for a few seconds after the windshield was dry, to-in effect-wear the wiper material down to a fresh layer.

I thought they worked great. Held up against rough ice accumulated during the day, and not completely scraped off after work.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
I had these on my Subie. Used every weekday to clean off dust. As long as you kept the windshield coating applied, they worked great. (I got foil packets with Rain-X formula on them as a prep for the wipers).

Directions also called for keeping the wipers on for a few seconds after the windshield was dry, to-in effect-wear the wiper material down to a fresh layer.

I thought they worked great. Held up against rough ice accumulated during the day, and not completely scraped off after work.

Thanks. To tell you the truth, I think you might mean the Rain-X Latitude Water Repellancy blades. The Silicone blades were released last year; I first heard of them while surfing the AAP site. As far as I can see, the Silicone blades do not apply the magic Rain-X potion to the windshield. Though I just learned they exist, so I could be wrong.

Likely too expensive in any case, but I plan to read reviews from users who ran them for at least six months.

When I looked into the AdvantEdge, they were something along the lines of $40/blade for my vehicle. Mmmmmm, I'll stick with other brands of blades before I spend $80 on a set.

OLLIE's Closeout Store has decent brand wiper blades for ~$5/ea. Beam style too! I can buy a lot of wiper blades for $80 bucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back