Quick Lube used an undersized filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Does that help explain the difference of my position here?

I don't know why you think I didn't know your stance to begin with. I have always agreed with you (which you always have failed to recognize) that there is no benefit to running a larger filter (or a smaller filter). The reason I said what I did is because you answered NO to my question.

Read this again:

I am not saying this little Focus was treated for the better by having the smaller filter, but for goodness sake, let's not claim the sky if falling!

Honest question: Would you be defending them in the same way if they had used a larger than OEM filter (that also had the correct threads, gasket, bypass, etc.)?

No- not really.

If you truly do feel that, while there is no benefit, there is ultimately very little actual risk when using a larger filter? If so, you would have said YES to my question.

There's no need to write a novel, okay? Just say yes. That's ALL I asked.

Well then I owe you an apology because I initially misunderstood your question. Sorry.

The risk here (as with most sites) is the if one gives a very short abrupt answer, folks often read into it stuff you never intended.
If you explain in thorough detail, you're considered a know-it-all suffering from diarhea of the keyboard.
There seems to be no happy medium at times. Your question is fair to ask, but there's a whole hose of folks who read it besides you and I, so I was kind of speaking to the masses while answering you. I guess I misunderstood your question initially and was trying to go into more detail.

Last edited:

The distinction I make is that of intent; in regard to M/M coverage vs. benefits (a slew of which may or may not be realized).

When one uses a filter that is not approved by the maker for the application, you take on the risk of burden of proof unto yourself. Given that there's no proof of any real tangible benefit in terms of wear protection, it's a ruse. I don't chastise people for using what they "want"; I deride them for the foolish assumptions they make in regard to a theortical advantage that is not proven to materialize. And this choice comes with a risk; that of warranty coverage denial or (at the very least) delay, along with a mound of paperwork and fiscal costs. Using a larger (or smaller) filter really isn't a risk to the engine; it's a risk to your WALLET.

OTOH - in this case of this thread, the "niece" didn't choose to use the wrong filter, therefore the risk is not hers to bare. The QL facility takes on this burden as they are the ones that made the mistake (or cognizant choice) to install what we are all presuming is a "wrong" filter.

I have never said that using a "different" (non-approved) filter is typically a risk to the equipment. I have repeatedly stated that the unrealized theoretical benefit is outweighed by the real risk of warranty denial or delay, should the equipment fail and filter be blamed as a root cause.

For example, you quest to see if the larger filter would fit the Edge ...
There's a benefit to you; that of less garage stock via commonality. But the engine isn't going to be any better or worse off. It helps you, not the engine.

Most folks mistakenly thing that a larger filter will provide these benefits (or conversely, a smaller filter would generate harm otherwise based on these traits):
- oil is cooler
- oil is cleaner; wear protection increased
- more capacity for "cheap insurance" that the media won't blind off
I'll discuss these in detail ...

The oil will be cooler, to some stupidly micro-incremental degree you'll never be able to measure accurately, and is as likely just as easily argued to be a detriment in winter where excess cooling would be undesirable. Plus, most all modern engines use liquid cooling for the engine, and many also add liquid cooling to the oil, so that fractional increase in filter size adding "cooling capacity" is a total farce. The engine and oil temps are generally controlled by the cooling system of the equipment, not the size of the filter can! If one subscribes to this "use a larger filter for better cooling" theory in summer, then the opposite corollary should be their mantra in winter; they should advocate for a smaller filter to reduce heat loss.

The oil will be "cleaner" some theorize, because the velocity of the lube through the media is a tad slower, and slower flow makes it easier to catch particulate. This is base on the concept of surface area and flow. Meh ... Maybe. But there's not one study I'm aware of that proves less wear comes from a big more media; not even been broached in the lab as far as I know. Again - theory is not manifesting into reality. Presuming that larger filter is catching more particulate due to slower flow, then we'd expect to see lower wear rates as a tangible result. And yet we don't; not to a discernible degree. No one here has shown reliable proof that running a FL-400 vs. FL910 (or similar such endeavor) has produced any statistically significant data. None whatsoever. I challenge this every time the issue comes up (which is frequently) and to date, after more than 10 years on this site, not one person has been able to point to conclusive evidence. Theory? Yes. Evidence it really happens? None whatsoever. While I can accept the theory as potentially viable, the nuance is that it's so freakin' tiny that it's just plain moot.

The filter will last "longer" using a larger filter. There are a few of us who do longer O/FCIs; further than those stated by the OEM. Using UOAs to track wear data, I've run up to 5x the OEM stated OFCI for "severe" use conditions, and yet the UOA data showed wear rates were very favorable. Not just once did I do this; I do it most all the time. There is already a LARGE amount of reserve capacity in a "normal" filter for the approved application. One does not "need" a larger filter for "cheap insurance". That's just a emotional justification to employ the use of something "wanted", but not "needed". If your engine lube is so filthy that you have a honest credible fear of the media blinding off, then you've got far larger problems than filter choices. Normal engines that run clean and are in good mechanical condition never come close to blinding off the media. So why would you need more of something that you're already not coming even close to utilizing the current capacity of? Does it hurt the engine? No. Does it help? No.

The risk of warranty denial/delay is very real, although admittedly remote and only induced if the filter would be a suspect for failure mode. The M/M act places the burden of proof upon the maker, IF the user follows the maker's recommendations. However, if not, then the user is placed in a position to prove his/her choice is valid. Given that most companies have far more money, time and lawyers that we do as individuals, and mounds of engineering data to boot, then we are at a distinct and very real disadvantage. They can deny coverage until they would be otherwise ordered by a judge/arbitraor to pay, and that would only happen if you were able to convince the authority that you knew better than Wix/Purolator/Fram/etc as to filter applications. (good luck with that, BTW ...)

So my points boil down to these:
When you CHOOSE to venture off the approved reservation, it may be for a matter of convenience to you, but your equipment will see zero REAL TANGIBLE benefit in this topic of filters. And that choice comes with a very real, albiet remote fiscal risk. If you didn't make the mistake/choice to use an unapproved filter, then don't sweat it because someone else may have to pay up, even though this would also be a remote possibility of failure.

Smaller/Larger unapproved filters are not generally a risk to the equipment. They are a risk to your money and sanity, should a failure happen. This is why I say in this thread, for folks to quit worrying. There no proof that anything untoward happened here. The engine didn't blow up. The theoretical damage didn't manifest into reality. And it was a one-time non-choice of the niece, so she would not have had to pay anyway.

But that is different from folks who purposely choose to use filters in unapproved applications. The claimed benefits never really materialize, but the risk is very real, although remote.

For me, it's not a matter of "larger or small", but one of "approved vs unapproved". Size doesn't matter in this topic, at least to me. What matters is intent and M/M warranty coverage.

And I do use "unapproved" filters upon rare occasion, but I do so knowing the risks I take are measured against a matter of convenience and will not result in better "cooling, cleaning, needed capacity".

The use of a slightly smaller filter on the neice's Focus is no more apt to harm the engine than the unproven claimed theories of larger filter benefits. Because the engine is not really at risk, we then turn our attention to that of M/M warranty. Given that the girl didn't make the choice here, she's absolved of any fiscal risk. So no harm to the engine and no harm to her wallet. THAT is why I am telling folks to calm down and forget this. That is FAR different from folks who CHOOSE to use the "wrong" filters repeatedly, gaining nothing for the engine but taking a real risk upon themselves, should the remote actually happen.

Does that help explain the difference of my position here?

+1000

Best post I have read in many years here.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mooferz
which may seem a tad undersized compared to the 7317's.

The 7317 (Napa 1357) is the same exact size as the one I just mentioned being used on 5.3 Chevy V8's.
It's honestly..... Overkill for your mom's Honda CR-V.

What year 5.3 Chevy are you referring too? The newer 5.3's take the PF63 which is larger than the 7317. Even my 2002 Silverado 5.3 takes a 3675 again it is lager than the 7317. I think only a few years GM moved down to a smaller filter on the 5.3, to a 3506, not sure why.

No harm done and it's done all the time, but I guarantee at least 95% of this forum wouldn't intentionally do it!
laugh.gif

Well then I owe you an apology because I initially misunderstood your question. Sorry.

The risk here (as with most sites) is the if one gives a very short abrupt answer, folks often read into it stuff you never intended.
If you explain in thorough detail, you're considered a know-it-all suffering from diarhea of the keyboard.
There seems to be no happy medium at times. Your question is fair to ask, but there's a whole hose of folks who read it besides you and I, so I was kind of speaking to the masses while answering you. I guess I misunderstood your question initially and was trying to go into more detail.

I apologize as well; if I seemed to come off as snappy or angered - that isn't/wasn't the case - I was just confused with the inconsistency.

I know what you mean that others can read too far into things. But that's why I usually try to say things simply and in a way that makes it hard for anyone to think there may be underlying implications.

Anyway, the fellas at the Jiffy Lube applying a smaller than OEM filter on OP's niece's car didn't trigger an Armageddon or the coming of the Antichrist... but nor would applying a larger than OEM filter.

I apologize as well; if I seemed to come off as snappy or angered - that isn't/wasn't the case - I was just confused with the inconsistency.

I know what you mean that others can read too far into things. But that's why I usually try to say things simply and in a way that makes it hard for anyone to think there may be underlying implications.

Anyway, the fellas at the Jiffy Lube applying a smaller than OEM filter on OP's niece's car didn't trigger an Armageddon or the coming of the Antichrist... but nor would applying a larger than OEM filter.

No issues - we're good! I guess I read your question one way, and I now understand how it could it have been interpreted another. My fault.

You are correct, a larger than OEM filter would induce no more risk than a smaller one; at least in terms of performance issues. There might be physical contact issues such as a LONGER filter hanging down into the path of road debris impact ... e.g. perhaps a FL400 versus an FL910, or similar examples.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mooferz
which may seem a tad undersized compared to the 7317's.

The 7317 (Napa 1357) is the same exact size as the one I just mentioned being used on 5.3 Chevy V8's.
It's honestly..... Overkill for your mom's Honda CR-V.

What year 5.3 Chevy are you referring too? The newer 5.3's take the PF63 which is larger than the 7317. Even my 2002 Silverado 5.3 takes a 3675 again it is lager than the 7317. I think only a few years GM moved down to a smaller filter on the 5.3, to a 3506, not sure why.
They use the 3506 on 4x4s. My 2003 Avalanche takes one.

I have to point out once more that my use of DBL7349 and LF9028 filters in place of PH8 style filters allows for greater filtration than any iteration of PH8 will allow.

The LF9028 (integrated stacked disc bypass filter) has had books written by Cummins filtration on reduction in wear compared to a regular ful flow filter.

The DBL7349's 100% efficiency @ 20 microns is unmatched in regular full flow form.

Either filter will laugh easily at 25k mile service on a 6-7 litre class engine.

Aside from accusing two of the best names in oil filtration of lying or fudging their test results, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that my oversized filters are giving me better filtration, less wear particles, and longer service.

Not the typical oversized filter situation, but it be what it be.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I have to point out once more that my use of DBL7349 and LF9028 filters in place of PH8 style filters allows for greater filtration than any iteration of PH8 will allow.

The LF9028 (integrated stacked disc bypass filter) has had books written by Cummins filtration on reduction in wear compared to a regular ful flow filter.

The DBL7349's 100% efficiency @ 20 microns is unmatched in regular full flow form.

Either filter will laugh easily at 25k mile service on a 6-7 litre class engine.

Aside from accusing two of the best names in oil filtration of lying or fudging their test results, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that my oversized filters are giving me better filtration, less wear particles, and longer service.

Not the typical oversized filter situation, but it be what it be.

Your situation is somewhat unique; it's a bit of apples to bananas. The FL9028 filter you refer to is not only larger, but has secondary elements for a BP feature effect, and costs from $40 on up depending upon source. The filter is "larger" because it's really two filters in one container. Hence the effect would be expected to be dramatically different, by design. The DBL filter is a top-tier filter that has features not generally seen in a "normal" filter; while not as expensive as the FL, it's still pricey, and at $13-$18, has stiff competition from full syn media items like the FU, etc. I could not find data to substantiate your claim of 100% at 20um, but they did have general data of 90% at 10um for the DBL on their website.

The topic here is one of slightly smaller/larger filters, all based on similar construction techniques, media type, BP valve settings, FF only design, etc. The examples would be a FL400 in place of a FL910, or perhaps the FL-1A in place of the FL400, size permitting. Those examples have never shown any tangible proof that a "larger" filter reduces wear in typical applications.

Your comments are true, but not in the same conversational ballpark.

Last edited:
I did agree to that.

I guess a more accurate statement would be that all else equal, an oversized filter does not automatically mean benefits in filtration. But allowing for the selection of a larger filter can open up the options and capabilities of the oil filter and deliver tangible results through those additional features.

LF9028 is pricey, but not when compared to the cost of running a dedicated bypass, and with none of the work or engineering involved.

DBL7349 is barely ringing up more than many premium filters thst aren't putting up equivalent numbers.

They used a pretty small filter on my Rondo when I had to go to the Valvoline quick change place due to personal circumstances. A VO-106, I saw when I removed it. I was afraid of it getting the famous Kia/Hyundai start up rattle but it was actually very quiet throughout the OCI.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I could not find data to substantiate your claim of 100% at 20um, but they did have general data of 90% at 10um for the DBL on their website.

I found that that the DBL7349 has an efficiency of 99% @ 15 micron per the catalog.

That is phenomenal filtration, though, either way. The only other full flow filter I can think of that is somewhat close to that is the Baldwin B7311-MPG that filters 5 microns nominal and 20 microns absoulute. Of course, "nominal" and "absolute" in that case has been found to mean 50% and 97% respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back