Quick Lube used an undersized filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As noted, quick lube consolidation/downsizing of filter applications regular practice now. On those that are downsized from vehicle spec, in the event something was to happen to the engine definitively attributed to the filter, it would be on the quick lube and/or their filter supplier(s). Really though any filter used by the quick lube, the same liability would apply. As this is now common practice, obviously it's not a major concern at least in the eyes of the quick lube business. I'd say such an occurrence would be very rare.

While using spec size is my preference, imo using a quick lube consolidated/downsized filter biggest drawback in the extreme would be less holding capacity to spec size. Jim Allen said HERE based on information from a filter engineer the average filter in the average car is less than 50% loaded when removed. So in a regularly maintained vehicle not an issue imo. It's common now to see the 6607 used for 7317 applications, and both AZ STP filter types only have and sell a 6607 size.

To the topic 'undersized' filter, I think the OP has it right. In this case, I believe the quick lube just used a filter with same threads, not even an approved consolidated/downsized filter. Using Fram online catalog specs the 3614 sealing gasket size is OD ~2.76, ID 2.45. The 4386 used, OD 2.5, ID 2.25. Apparently in this case 'lucky' to have enough engine block gasket sealing area to maintain the filter seal using the smaller non spec filter.

Not to hijack this thread, but I use the 3614 on my Kohler 7000 22hp zero turn mower. It is a pretty popular filter in the OPE community. You should gift your niece a six pack of Fram FPS3614 for $33 (price of an oil change and found on eBay) so there are future issues. BYOF (bring your own filter)- minimize wait time and incorrect filter size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

This is BITOG-where guys change out fluids on new cars. They would think a wrong/undersized filter is a apocalypse (disaster).

Maybe folks are realizing there are more important things in life to obsess about.

I still obsess over some things, but I'm better now at preventing the obsession from becoming a "disorder" (OCD)

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Jim Allen said HERE based on information from a filter engineer the average filter in the average car is less than 50% loaded when removed. So in a regularly maintained vehicle not an issue imo.

Years back, I ran an FL-1A on a very clean (internally) '78 400M V8 for almost 30,000 miles (3x OCI's) and the filter looked fine when it was disassembled. I had done several prior filter inspections to get my confidence level high enough to try for that long of a FCI.

That's when I started to realize that on an engine that is NOT all sludged up inside, the purpose of an oil filter at all is a very limited one. Yes, they are always trapping small bits of something, but if the engine is clean inside, there really just won't be a LOT of small bits to trap.

Well I guess the good news is they changed her oil. I caught Sears a few years back red handed, my daughter brought her car in for a change, I checked her oil and filter when she got home, she paid for it, they didnt change it!
Went back to the store, other mechanics came over to the car with the manager, they all agreed. Still had th efilter on it from whn I changed it and they dont even use that filter, never mind the dark oil.
Seems the young kid they had change the oil, put the car on the lift, pretended to change it but went out back to smoke a cig instead.

Moral of the story, ALWAYS check your oil and filter after having it "changed"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Peter_480
Are the Fram Pro filters any good? I see them on RA dirt cheap.

FWIU, the FPS is an Ultra without the grippy old-school typewriter crinkle finish paint.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Peter_480
Are the Fram Pro filters any good? I see them on RA dirt cheap.

FWIU, the FPS is an Ultra without the grippy old-school typewriter crinkle finish paint.

Don't think I've seen FPS's on Rockauto before. The Fram Pro's (Non-synthetic) you see there use a similar media to the Tough Guards, but are not intended for long change intervals.
That said they're fine for a $1.50 filter, probably better and cheaper than the Fram Core filters that Walmart sometimes unintentionally sells for $2.10.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
A small filter is going to be more restrictive, operate at higher backpressure, bypass more often and provide less cooling. These issues compound as it plugs up.

- How is a smaller filter "more restrictive" Can you be specific? Do you know the dP of the normal filter and this little filter?
- How is it operating at more "backpressure"? (same as above)
- And it bypasses more often? Really? And the BP event counter is installed on the filter, or the dashboard? (Given that Jim Allen's data shows BP is a RARE event, I think this is patently false).
- Less cooling? fractionally, perhaps, but then again, it's also less lost heat energy (warmer oil) in winter, so take that!
- "as it plugs up"? Generally it's accepted that as filters load up they become more efficient; you find that unattractive? I SERIOUSLY doubt this filter came anywhere close to blinding off, though, as you I take your implication.

If you want to stand by your statement, and you have every right to do so, then please bring some substantiation (real data = proof) to the equation if possible. Show me some data where you ran the same engine with data tracking dP devices (such as what Jim Allen did), tested multiple filter options, and discovered the statistical proof, and share with all, please.

I am not saying this little Focus was treated for the better by having the smaller filter, but for goodness sake, let's not claim the sky if falling!

I look at things from an engineering perspective. Restriction depends on media porosity size, the amount of crosssectional area, oil viscosity, flow and pressure.

If the big filter bypasses with cold oil, the little one might on Luke warm oil. Why chance it.

Did Jim test this little garbage filter valvoline had made for the old small block. I'm running straight 50w oil. I don't trust it. Why take a chance? What did it save? 25 cents?

A filter filters better as it plugs up because the trapped particles tend to help trap more but at the cost of higher delta p.

Give me a bigger can and I can put in a media that filters to a smaller micron size with the same delta p.

Last edited:

I look at things from an engineering perspective. Restriction depends on media porosity size, the amount of crosssectional area, oil viscosity, flow and pressure.

Engine oil pressure isn't a factor, because the delta-p across the media isn't a function of the pressure inside the can, but only a function of those other variables you mentioned. If you kept everything the same except the pressure inside the can, the delta-p across the media would be the same.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Jim Allen said HERE based on information from a filter engineer the average filter in the average car is less than 50% loaded when removed. So in a regularly maintained vehicle not an issue imo.

Years back, I ran an FL-1A on a very clean (internally) '78 400M V8 for almost 30,000 miles (3x OCI's) and the filter looked fine when it was disassembled. I had done several prior filter inspections to get my confidence level high enough to try for that long of a FCI.

That's when I started to realize that on an engine that is NOT all sludged up inside, the purpose of an oil filter at all is a very limited one. Yes, they are always trapping small bits of something, but if the engine is clean inside, there really just won't be a LOT of small bits to trap.

Most important filter is the air filter and a sealed intake system. Most of what the oil filter captures is going to be dirt or wear from dirt ingestion.

I look at things from an engineering perspective.

Actually no, you don't. That is quite apparent from most of your posts.

Like it would be permeability - not porosity (that might relate to holding capacity more than flow capacity) ...

I am not saying this little Focus was treated for the better by having the smaller filter, but for goodness sake, let's not claim the sky if falling!

Honest question: Would you be defending them in the same way if they had used a larger than OEM filter (that also had the correct threads, gasket, bypass, etc.)?

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Honest question: Would you be defending them in the same way if they had used a larger than OEM filter (that also had the correct threads, gasket, bypass, etc.)?

No- not really. I am not "defending" the QL place. I am advocating for calm reasoning here.

There are a lot of presumptions flying around here. Let's ask ourselves some rational questions:
1) do we know that this was a "mistake" for sure at the point of installation?
2) did they install this on purpose because they ran out of the "right" filter, or is this a purposeful shift to carrying less stock?
3) do we have any evidence that there was any damage done to the engine?
4) do we know what the filter maker's position is for using this filter on this application?

A smaller filter does not automatically mean something horrid happened, other than BITOG feelings got hurt in some imaginary way. Did the engine go into a death-rattle? The OP didn't mention it. Did the engine suffer a seizure? Nope.

There is a large amount of reserve capacity in even normal filters. This filter probably got "closer" to it's theoretical limit, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it got overwhelmed to a point of blinding off and going into perpetual bypass. There is no UOA data we're aware of from this OFCI, so it's all just typical BITOG banter at this point.

There are times when I believe using the "right" filter (as approved by the filter maker) is a prudent decision.
There are times when using an alternate filter can make sense, if one is willing to take the warranty risks.
I generally am in support of using the approved filter, because I've seen no data that proves bigger or smaller filters (reasonably veered and not crazily off the reservation) affect wear rates (engine protection) one way or another. So the theoretical gain (or loss) of filtration protection isn't a tangible thing.

Had the engine seized and puked itself in this thread, then the OP would likely advise his niece that an investigation and potential civil action were a good course of action.
But it didn't, so what are we all worked up over? If the car engine had been irreparably harmed, I'd be in a different state of mind. But it wasn't, at least outwardly, and there's no data to back up any claims. This is no different than if the QL place had used the "wrong" viscosity lube .... if it called for 5w-20 and they used 10w-30 (or vice versa), is there any real "harm" done to the engine? To show a cause, one needs evidence. Frankly put, there is none.

Ironically, using the "wrong" filter has no bounds of size. If the wrong filter is selected (larger or smaller, either by choice or accident), then the filter maker has a good standing to delay warranty coverage, if not outright deny it. The M/M act does prescribe certain conditions that are in place in these kinds of circumstances. The M/M act is about the application of written and implied warranties, as well as protecting the OEM of the product.

My advice to the vehicle owner is to tell her what happened, have her speak with the QL shop manager, and get their take on it. They may admit to it and make amends with a few free services? Or they will blow her off, and she's better off taking her money elsewhere.

This mole-hill need not be a mountain is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

No- not really.

Nobody needs to even read anything you've written beyond this, because you just threw all logic out the window right there.

You shun people all the time for using larger than OEM filters, yet now you tell people to calm down when a Jiffy Lube throws on a smaller than OEM filter.

I'm not saying you're wrong - Probably 99% of the time it won't hurt a thing to use a smaller filter. So I agree that some people are blowing it out of proportion. But the same thing can be said about using a larger filter. Yet you can't seem to wrap your mind around that. So why should anyone listen to you when you tell them to calm down when you are saying something inconsistent with what you say elsewhere?

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
There is no excuse for any place that does oil changes as it's business to use a filter that isn't spec'd for a particular vehicle by the filter manufacturer. Size has nothing to do with it. If it isn't spec'd then the warranty coverage is totally out the window.

This. My shop is relatively small in the repair shop game. Independently owned, two locations. We keep at least 30 separate PN's of canister filters and probably another 20 of cartridge filters on hand at any given time. Even going so far as to stock OEM Mopar filters for the pentastar 3.6 due to the massive amount of issues with aftermarket filters in these engines.

With proper inventory control it's not that big of a deal to keep a proper stock of OE-spec filters on hand.

Thank You! Although it may not be harmful to use a smaller filter, like the oil grade, I want the proper recommended filter for my vehicle. Nothing smaller nor larger!

No- not really.

Nobody needs to even read anything you've written beyond this, because you just threw all logic out the window right there.

You shun people all the time for using larger than OEM filters, yet now you tell people to calm down when a Jiffy Lube throws on a smaller than OEM filter.

I'm not saying you're wrong - Probably 99% of the time it won't hurt a thing to use a smaller filter. So I agree that some people are blowing it out of proportion. But the same thing can be said about using a larger filter. Yet you can't seem to wrap your mind around that. So why should anyone listen to you when you tell them to calm down when you are saying something inconsistent with what you say elsewhere?

The distinction I make is that of intent; in regard to M/M coverage vs. benefits (a slew of which may or may not be realized).

When one uses a filter that is not approved by the maker for the application, you take on the risk of burden of proof unto yourself. Given that there's no proof of any real tangible benefit in terms of wear protection, it's a ruse. I don't chastise people for using what they "want"; I deride them for the foolish assumptions they make in regard to a theortical advantage that is not proven to materialize. And this choice comes with a risk; that of warranty coverage denial or (at the very least) delay, along with a mound of paperwork and fiscal costs. Using a larger (or smaller) filter really isn't a risk to the engine; it's a risk to your WALLET.

OTOH - in this case of this thread, the "niece" didn't choose to use the wrong filter, therefore the risk is not hers to bare. The QL facility takes on this burden as they are the ones that made the mistake (or cognizant choice) to install what we are all presuming is a "wrong" filter.

I have never said that using a "different" (non-approved) filter is typically a risk to the equipment. I have repeatedly stated that the unrealized theoretical benefit is outweighed by the real risk of warranty denial or delay, should the equipment fail and filter be blamed as a root cause.

For example, you quest to see if the larger filter would fit the Edge ...
There's a benefit to you; that of less garage stock via commonality. But the engine isn't going to be any better or worse off. It helps you, not the engine.

Most folks mistakenly thing that a larger filter will provide these benefits (or conversely, a smaller filter would generate harm otherwise based on these traits):
- oil is cooler
- oil is cleaner; wear protection increased
- more capacity for "cheap insurance" that the media won't blind off
I'll discuss these in detail ...

The oil will be cooler, to some stupidly micro-incremental degree you'll never be able to measure accurately, and is as likely just as easily argued to be a detriment in winter where excess cooling would be undesirable. Plus, most all modern engines use liquid cooling for the engine, and many also add liquid cooling to the oil, so that fractional increase in filter size adding "cooling capacity" is a total farce. The engine and oil temps are generally controlled by the cooling system of the equipment, not the size of the filter can! If one subscribes to this "use a larger filter for better cooling" theory in summer, then the opposite corollary should be their mantra in winter; they should advocate for a smaller filter to reduce heat loss.

The oil will be "cleaner" some theorize, because the velocity of the lube through the media is a tad slower, and slower flow makes it easier to catch particulate. This is base on the concept of surface area and flow. Meh ... Maybe. But there's not one study I'm aware of that proves less wear comes from a big more media; not even been broached in the lab as far as I know. Again - theory is not manifesting into reality. Presuming that larger filter is catching more particulate due to slower flow, then we'd expect to see lower wear rates as a tangible result. And yet we don't; not to a discernible degree. No one here has shown reliable proof that running a FL-400 vs. FL910 (or similar such endeavor) has produced any statistically significant data. None whatsoever. I challenge this every time the issue comes up (which is frequently) and to date, after more than 10 years on this site, not one person has been able to point to conclusive evidence. Theory? Yes. Evidence it really happens? None whatsoever. While I can accept the theory as potentially viable, the nuance is that it's so freakin' tiny that it's just plain moot.

The filter will last "longer" using a larger filter. There are a few of us who do longer O/FCIs; further than those stated by the OEM. Using UOAs to track wear data, I've run up to 5x the OEM stated OFCI for "severe" use conditions, and yet the UOA data showed wear rates were very favorable. Not just once did I do this; I do it most all the time. There is already a LARGE amount of reserve capacity in a "normal" filter for the approved application. One does not "need" a larger filter for "cheap insurance". That's just a emotional justification to employ the use of something "wanted", but not "needed". If your engine lube is so filthy that you have a honest credible fear of the media blinding off, then you've got far larger problems than filter choices. Normal engines that run clean and are in good mechanical condition never come close to blinding off the media. So why would you need more of something that you're already not coming even close to utilizing the current capacity of? Does it hurt the engine? No. Does it help? No.

The risk of warranty denial/delay is very real, although admittedly remote and only induced if the filter would be a suspect for failure mode. The M/M act places the burden of proof upon the maker, IF the user follows the maker's recommendations. However, if not, then the user is placed in a position to prove his/her choice is valid. Given that most companies have far more money, time and lawyers that we do as individuals, and mounds of engineering data to boot, then we are at a distinct and very real disadvantage. They can deny coverage until they would be otherwise ordered by a judge/arbitraor to pay, and that would only happen if you were able to convince the authority that you knew better than Wix/Purolator/Fram/etc as to filter applications. (good luck with that, BTW ...)

So my points boil down to these:
When you CHOOSE to venture off the approved reservation, it may be for a matter of convenience to you, but your equipment will see zero REAL TANGIBLE benefit in this topic of filters. And that choice comes with a very real, albiet remote fiscal risk. If you didn't make the mistake/choice to use an unapproved filter, then don't sweat it because someone else may have to pay up, even though this would also be a remote possibility of failure.

Smaller/Larger unapproved filters are not generally a risk to the equipment. They are a risk to your money and sanity, should a failure happen. This is why I say in this thread, for folks to quit worrying. There no proof that anything untoward happened here. The engine didn't blow up. The theoretical damage didn't manifest into reality. And it was a one-time non-choice of the niece, so she would not have had to pay anyway.

But that is different from folks who purposely choose to use filters in unapproved applications. The claimed benefits never really materialize, but the risk is very real, although remote.

For me, it's not a matter of "larger or small", but one of "approved vs unapproved". Size doesn't matter in this topic, at least to me. What matters is intent and M/M warranty coverage.

And I do use "unapproved" filters upon rare occasion, but I do so knowing the risks I take are measured against a matter of convenience and will not result in better "cooling, cleaning, needed capacity".

The use of a slightly smaller filter on the neice's Focus is no more apt to harm the engine than the unproven claimed theories of larger filter benefits. Because the engine is not really at risk, we then turn our attention to that of M/M warranty. Given that the girl didn't make the choice here, she's absolved of any fiscal risk. So no harm to the engine and no harm to her wallet. THAT is why I am telling folks to calm down and forget this. That is FAR different from folks who CHOOSE to use the "wrong" filters repeatedly, gaining nothing for the engine but taking a real risk upon themselves, should the remote actually happen.

Does that help explain the difference of my position here?

Last edited:
Does that help explain the difference of my position here?

I don't know why you think I didn't know your stance to begin with. I have always agreed with you (which you always have failed to recognize) that there is no benefit to running a larger filter (or a smaller filter). The reason I said what I did is because you answered NO to my question.

Read this again:

No- not really.

If you truly do feel that, while there is no benefit, there is ultimately very little actual risk when using a larger filter? If so, you would have said YES to my question.

There's no need to write a novel, okay? Just say yes. That's ALL I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back