Questiong about non-balanced wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing my right front front left tire making an unusual sound. Its hard to describe. It doesn't make the typical uniform sound of rubber rolling down the road. Instead, it makes a rumbling or a slapping sound as it rolls. Odly, I dont have any play or vibration in the steering wheel. I inspected it, and found that it is missing a balance weight. Would this cause the tire to make this sound as it is rolling?

I had a slapping/clapping type of sound once. It turned out to be a loose balance weight on the edge of the rim. But you're saying all your weights are gone from that particular wheel?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I had a slapping/clapping type of sound once. It turned out to be a loose balance weight on the edge of the rim. But you're saying all your weights are gone from that particular wheel?

YES

How old are the tires? We had that in a continental OE tire on our expedition, and my grandmother has it on her Contis on her edge. The belts inside are loose and flapping around as you drive probably.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
How old are the tires? We had that in a continental OE tire on our expedition, and my grandmother has it on her Contis on her edge. The belts inside are loose and flapping around as you drive probably.

Tires are new. only have 6000 miles on them. The tire is a General which is made by continental

Is there evidence that a weight was there and now it is not, or are there just not any wheel weights on the wheel (I'm assuming you are looking at the outboard side of the wheel)? Sometimes when balancing a tire, no weight is called for on the outside, or inside, or not at all depending on the wheel/tire setup. Usually you'll feel vibration if the weight is thrown from the wheel, as it is now out of balance. Feel the tread, are there ridges that are not part of the tread design as you move your hand along the circumference of the tire? This is called "cupping" and can cause a slapping sound as you drive. Cupping can be either caused by a defective tire or bad shocks/struts that aren't keeping the tire in consistent contact with the road surface.

I am going with the bad belt theory. The balance weight will leave a "shadow" if you find it within a week or three of losing it.

Traumatic parallel parking against curbs is a good way to lose weights, especially rear ones.

got back from lunch break, had wheel balanced, problem solved. so, it is it a new theory now that a wheel not balanced can make a whop, whop, sound while not causing any vibration in the stearing wheel? This happend to me.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
got back from lunch break, had wheel balanced, problem solved. so, it is it a new theory now that a wheel not balanced can make a whop, whop, sound while not causing any vibration in the stearing wheel? This happend to me.

No. Frequently, people mis-diagnose this noise as a problem with the belt - broken belt, slipped belt, tread separation, etc.

As you have seen, you can get this noise simply from an imbalance. you didn't tell us how big the weight was, and that might be interesting for future reference.

BTW, tire and rim assemblies that have large amounts of non-uniformity (Think out of round and you won't be too far off!) will behave the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back