Question on Toyota motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 Lexus GS 350 just completed its 20K mile service as part of the L certification program. I asked the dealer what oil was used and was told Toyota full synthetic 0w20 bulk oil. Is this the same as the as the TGMO sold in individual quarts?

Thanks

I don't know if it's the same there but here they use a Bulk GF-5 oil that varies from dealer to dealer and carry TGMO in the quarts / jugs only at the Lexus / Toyota dealers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MajorCavalry
Is this the same as the as the TGMO sold in individual quarts?

Yes it should be. I had a 10k run on TGMO 0w20 along with a uoa and it came back with 5 ppm of Iron. All other wear metals were below the averages which were based on a 6600 mile run.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Is this the same as the as the TGMO sold in individual quarts?

Yes it should be. I had a 10k run on TGMO 0w20 along with a uoa and it came back with 5 ppm of Iron. All other wear metals were below the averages which were based on a 6600 mile run.

Dealership service departments are not bound/required to use marque branded oil, And have seen customers get bald-faced lied too about what oil was put into their car.

On the other hand....I worked at a dealer that used bulk Mobil 1 5w30 in every vehicle besides diesels.

Absolutely, it's the same oil. All SAE grades of TGMO come in 55-gallon drums as well as 1-qt bottles. You can contact Exxon Mobil to have a contract for 55-gallon drums to be delivered to you regularly if you like.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger

On the other hand....I worked at a dealer that used bulk Mobil 1 5w30 in every vehicle besides diesels.

Odds are it was Mobil Super Synthetic, not Mobil-1.

As said bulk oil is bought by the dealer by whom ever they like. The bottle I believe are still made by Mobil.

But as long as its a SN rated 0w20 then you will be fine.

My 2015 Lexus GS 350 just completed its 20K mile service as part of the L certification program. I asked the dealer what oil was used and was told Toyota full synthetic 0w20 bulk oil. Is this the same as the as the TGMO sold in individual quarts?
Thanks

Yes it is, but I alway specify and have it written on the work order to use the oil from the bottle, that way I'm sure there's no settling

If they specified "Toyota" brand oil then I would assume so with 95%+ confidence.
However....as clinebarger noted, this may not be the case at every dealer.
F...vgXg6kgNw71lpJkSLNWdrLqLRk=w974-h1298-no

Last edited:
There is nothing magical about TGMO. It's a good oil made by Mobil. You can use any major brand of 0w20 with assurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back