HPL oil change

Just finished changing the oil in my 2015 Lexus GS 350. 70K miles. I completed two 5K oil changes using 1 qt of HPL EC prior to this. No evidence of any particulate matter in the oil filter unlike the first run. I used HPL premium passenger car 0W-20 and a Fram Ultra filter. Plan on using this for one year.

A few pictures for your perusal.
1. Oil filter from last oil change. No carbon particles noted but much darker than any pre HPL EC oil changes.
2. Magnetic drain plug with some kind of black paste. Wiped it on the paper towel.
07241B9A-CFF2-431F-8331-486C507B6203.jpeg
95694327-4D50-43F3-8F55-AD8F540599C3.jpeg
C6D1AD54-05B6-4B02-8CD6-29DAC0AE2E79.jpeg
EDA9B9FF-F561-4E86-9891-4A2331BB3D3F.jpeg
A17FF3E8-AFEA-4A6F-B732-A1C3DDD343DF.jpeg
5C5C5FE6-4DE3-434D-A46F-CD722BDCB2B5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A perfect oil change! Haters and losers will say it cost too much.
IKR..... how did we make it on things like Mobile and Castrol and Supertech and WPP and all those other goos before HPL was formulated? I 'member the days of the interstates lined up with sludged up motors waiting to be towed to engine rebuilders as far as the eye could see. Oh wait, that was on The Walking Dead..... and they weren't sitting on the side of the interstate due to sludge or shear or thermal breakdown or any of those things.

I've seen enough evidence on here to say that HPL is INDEED a fine product that exceeds expectations. I'm one of those losers who say that, generally speaking, oil is oil and as long as you change it fairly regularly, the particular variety doesn't matter.

PS - it do to cost too much. But I don't think you are a loser if you do use it.

Nice.... probably cost too much though. I'd have used something cheaper.
Not sure how to describe “too much”. Since new, this car was treated to 5k mile oil changes with either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w20. I drive approximately 15k per year. Despite this, HPL engine cleaner removed carbon particles that were never seen in previous oil changes. I posted a picture of those particles noted in the oil filter.

I will run this oil for 1 year so costs should be close.

Not sure how to describe “too much”. Since new, this car was treated to 5k mile oil changes with either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w20. I drive approximately 15k per year. Despite this, HPL engine cleaner removed carbon particles that were never seen in previous oil changes. I posted a picture of those particles noted in the oil filter.

I will run this oil for 1 year so costs should be close.
Besides going to a full HPL oil use after an EC30 run or 2, what are the thoughts of using 1qt of HPL premium in place of the normal M1, PP, Castrol or others? Sort of along the lines of adding something (like LG BioTech) to make the commercial stuff a bit better. I also don't want to clean to much on the older ones and have leaks.

I've been doing M1 or PP on all my vehicles for years depending sales at WM.
'19 Pilot w/50k miles (MM at about 7500). 0W-20.
'10 Forte w/173k (5-7k) 5W-20 - but unknown PepBoys/Firestone prior to 140k, currently has EC30 and PP 5w-20 from oil change over weekend.
'17 Accord 4cyl w/95k (MM at about 7500), Unknown prior to 50k. 0W-20.
'08 CRV w/223k, Mostly dealer bulk 5W-20 before 208k at probably close 0% MM. I can see varnish staining and some black through fill port. No leaks that I know of (fingers crossed). It might take me a while to do 2 EC30's as it was only used for 15k miles in 3 years.

My '03 Sequoia (15 years/187k) and '07 Sonata (14 years/220K) were shiny silver, no stains through fill to see, no leaks on pretty much just M1 and PP, maybe a random flush.

Besides going to a full HPL oil use after an EC30 run or 2, what are the thoughts of using 1qt of HPL premium in place of the normal M1, PP, Castrol or others? Sort of along the lines of adding something (like LG BioTech) to make the commercial stuff a bit better. I also don't want to clean to much on the older ones and have leaks.
Don't waste your time....or money. Mixing chemistries (unless the product is designed for it) rarely yields breakthrough results.

Don't waste your time....or money. Mixing chemistries (unless the product is designed for it) rarely yields breakthrough results.
I have had this same question. If adding 1 quart of HPL EC to a regular oil change provides beneficial cleaning without disrupting the chemistry, why would adding a quart of HPL 0w20 to future oil changes not be beneficial?

You may suggest that EC is designed to be added to other oils but I would ask how it could be designed to mix successfully considering how many possible oils and their unique chemistry it may be added to.

I have had this same question. If adding 1 quart of HPL EC to a regular oil change provides beneficial cleaning without disrupting the chemistry, why would adding a quart of HPL 0w20 to future oil changes not be beneficial?

You may suggest that EC is designed to be added to other oils but I would ask how it could be designed to mix successfully considering how many possible oils and their unique chemistry it may be added to.
The EC is a gentler, different approach. You could certainly add a quart of regular HPL to future oil changes and get (slightly) riskier results.

Or, you can put faith in the oil company who’s designed at least 3 bespoke product lines just for a bunch of oil geeks on the internet, and use the EC first if you think there’s excessive deposits, then move to their regular oil and change filters every 5k. 👍🏻

Sure, between the lack of AN or POE on the SDS, and most glaringly, it’s lacking in their marketing.
Why not just read what Dave’s already shared here? Use EC in a 20% replacement scheme for 5k, then change the filter and replace with whichever tier of PCEO you desire to use? It’s been stated many times in several of the HPL stickys…

Not sure - I would reach out to HPL directly.

Also keep in mind that EC is recommended for a 2k interval. When you have a short interval, even if there was additive clash, the risk (or possibility) of negative effects is greatly reduced.

The EC gets a lot of talk but it's more mild/prep for using their oil if you think you need it. I don't think the EC does as much as folks think vs. just changing to their oils which over time should give some results.

Back